Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

States with worst drivers

Harvick

1000 Post Club

1. Louisiana
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Florida
7. Missouri
8. North Carolina
9. Montana
10. North Dakota

I'm not sure about the source of this list, but having lived in 5 states and traveled for work to several more, I believe the worst drivers I've experienced are in TN. Given my current location within TN, I see a lot of traffic from Alabama and can agree they should be included in the top 10. When I relocated from Ohio to TN, I made a comment to my builder about "poor" driving habits of the locals in TN and he agreed...and added that driver's education is not required for teen drivers, licensing exam's are too easy, and roads are not properly crowned (which can induce head-on collisions).

Many years ago, when my son was turning 16 and ready to get his drivers license (not in TN), he had to have Driver's Ed and pass the ground school and road test before being licensed. In addition, I sent him to a Teen Drivers School (a special program offered as part of a private major high performance driving school). Now an adult, he has repeatedly told me that training has saved his life on multiple occasions...primarily because he learned defensive driving techniques and car control. I believe that every state should have a mandatory driver's ed program that teaches those basics.

I'm Surprised North Carolina wasn't in the top (or is it bottom) 5. In my area the only drivers worse than my fellow statesmen are the Virginia drivers. I would move Virginia as number 5 and shift the rest down 1! My apologies to the forum members that may be from Virgina.

I have to agree with you there. Spent 5 years in northern Virginia. Absolute worse driving I've ever seen, and I've traveled to almost every state!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Arizona is at least in the top 15, there are tons of red light runners here.

Couldn't agree more with Louisiana, after being stationed at Barksdale AFB for 11 years in the Shreveport/Bossier City area. I hope to never set foot/Tire there again!

I have to agree with you there. Spent 5 years in northern Virginia. Absolute worse driving I've ever seen, and I've traveled to almost every state!
The DC metro should be its own category. It's definitely much worse than the other areas in MD/VA.

Jariten...I forgot about the years I had to drive into and around DC metro and agree that the area at least deserves an honorable mention on the list. I recall the engineering issues relative to the 495 beltway. Many of the on and off ramps had been built off-camber which is a disaster when negotiating wet or snow covered. A lot of accidents on those ramps.

Stuntdoogie...I have to agree with your surprise that New York and New Jersey didn't make the top 10. When I lived on the east coast, I dreaded driving on the NJ turnpike...the speeds and discourteous driving were unmatched, except maybe when driving in Mid-town Manhattan. Have you ever seen a pedestrian hit by a cab and other drivers (and bystanders) just keep moving past the body like nothing was wrong...luckily a beat cop came along and called in the accident.

CanadianST

If you want to see bad drivers you should come to Prince Edward island! You can get your licence here without ever going through a set of traffic lights, just drive around an old farm town with a few stop signs. So when taking a drive in the biggest town (30,000 people) you constantly see people stopping in merge lanes, entering a rotary then stopping in the middle of it to let people in, or my favourite stopping in the middle of the road to talk to a buddy walking on the sidewalk. It's a miracle there's not more accidents.

you constantly see people stopping in merge lanes, entering a rotary then stopping in the middle of it to let people in
My city recently installed a number of roundabouts and few people have figured out how to navigate them. It's entertaining to park and watch the comedy show for a couple minutes.

My city recently installed a number of roundabouts and few people have figured out how to navigate them. It's entertaining to park and watch the comedy show for a couple minutes.
My wife's from Columbus and can't imagine roundabouts being installed there...except maybe in the 'burbs. The earliest roundabout I remember there was at the oval on the OSU campus (next to the library)...back in the mid-60's when you could drive it.

I do know how "funny" it can be watching people trying to figure them out. I've been amused watching the chaos where our county seat just installed a roundabout. I think there have been more traffic problems there than when that intersection was a 4-way stop!

I'm surprised Oklahoma isn't higher, I can tell you from experience when I'm on the road everyone else seems to be stupid lol