Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

widest tires?

C. love

I know its winter yet and most probably haven't gotten this far but I am thinking of tires for summer. I really want to try some 235/40 NT-05 all around on this car. The tires will be over square on the stock wheels but eventually I can get some 17x9 or something.

anyway anyone try this? It upset the balance? You notice the added rotational weight? any plus's or minus's?

I would also keep the suspension stock for now just a little extra "meat" on the wheels

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
205/40-17 3.2in 11.7in 23.5in 73.7in 860 0.0%
235/40-17 3.7in 12.2in 24.4in 76.7in 827 4.0%
That is the tire comparison for the wider tire. A .5" increase maybe a lot for the wheel well and 4% difference in speedo would be high.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Might get away with it if you use spacers or go the coilover route to get more spring clearance but thats just a guess...
My 225/45/17 rubbed on turns big time.. Your 235 might work as they are about .6 inch less Diameter.. But my 205/50/17 snow tires I Tried rubbed a little on turn in too but not as much i think spacers could have fixed it but i wasnt in the mood for them at that time ..

OP
C

C. love

Thread Starter #6
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
205/40-17 3.2in 11.7in 23.5in 73.7in 860 0.0%
235/40-17 3.7in 12.2in 24.4in 76.7in 827 4.0%
That is the tire comparison for the wider tire. A .5" increase maybe a lot for the wheel well and 4% difference in speedo would be high.

to be honest Im not really concerned with the speedo too much. I simply want to autocross with these tires. If I can get away with them I would then think about running on a street rim.

Might get away with it if you use spacers or go the coilover route to get more spring clearance but thats just a guess...
My 225/45/17 rubbed on turns big time.. Your 235 might work as they are about .6 inch less Diameter.. But my 205/50/17 snow tires I Tried rubbed a little on turn in too but not as much i think spacers could have fixed it but i wasnt in the mood for them at that time ..

did they rub on the inside, the upper inner fender or the outer fender? Eventually i will get around to fitting some 17x9 a buddy of mine has for his mustang which will be too much offset wise but thats ok too as it will give me an idea of how crazy i can get. once i get done with my mustang i will give this more attention, such as wheels and coilovers. I have a perverse attraction to showing up at our local auto-x's and making the seasoned cocky guys look dumb lol. Backstory is I drift primarily and drifters aint suppose to be able to drive "normal" ha ha. I like to stir the pot a bit with our local guys to say the least.

OP
C

C. love

Thread Starter #7
MK has done some 17x9 and 17x8. Maybe PM him or I am sure he will check this out.

Here is the link to his New Shoes

I see he went 17x8 25 and 17x9 35..if i read that right. I think i could push that envelope alot. I would even pull my fenders a bit if I had to (yeah I wonder WTF goes through my head at times too lol) I bet i could get a 17x9 under all 4 corners however I would need to stretch tires on there but I could do it--would be grand if that setup handled well, but that would be my off autox days which is most days actually [biggrin]

STooge

Yeah i feel ya. You will have to keep us posted on this and let us know how it goes. I with the way your other cars look that you posted pics of I'm sure this one will look equally amazing man, interested in seeing how this goes.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
My tires rubbed on the inside the 225's worse than the 205's on a slow full lock turn. Did not test rears or at speed cornering.

OP
C

C. love

Thread Starter #10
My tires rubbed on the inside the 225's worse than the 205's on a slow full lock turn. Did not test rears or at speed cornering.
oh that's not bad, spacers or more aggressive offset wheels will fix that or help anyway. I havent auto crossed our local stuff in along while IIRC you didn't hit full lock a whole lot. Those 215's were they on stock wheels?

Yeah i feel ya. You will have to keep us posted on this and let us know how it goes. I with the way your other cars look that you posted pics of I'm sure this one will look equally amazing man, interested in seeing how this goes.
My mustang is almost done--waiting on a hood and then i have to get some time to lay down some paint then its good to go, after that i have a crappy BMW that is for drifting beating on that needs a few hundred bucks thrown at it then its fiesta time.

What I really need is the weather to stop being so damn cold or a garage to use or both so I can start messing with things.

I will say the fiesta is one of my favorite cars I have driven in untouched form, I am semi afraid to mess with it as its so good right now, with time I will get over that though.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
The 225's and the 205's wear both of SVT focus rims 17x7 47 mm offset if I recall that is the same as stock .