Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moonroof: great idea or factory-installed leak?

Moonroof? Yay? No way?

• Had to have to moonroof. Howling, growling, and prowling!

Votes: 49 31.0%
  • No moonroof. It's a factory-installed leak.

Votes: 30 19.0%
  • Got one, but only because it came on an available car that had everything I really wanted.

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • Kinda wanted one, but found car that had everything else I wanted, so I'm living without. No biggie.

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Moonroof? That was an option?

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Perry

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, I came down in option 3--got one, but only because an available vehicle had everything else exactly as I wished.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I'll go for 2(a) for me the moon roof put the weight in the wrong spot for what i most want this car for (Cone killing and track time) what do they weight 15- 20 lbs up high on the car.. now if it was a moon floor or escape hatch on the passengers side .. LOL [kidding]

My original request was a base FiST (no options). The Dealer found one, he may be able to get ahold of, that had just the painted rim option. So, I said ok. After about a month of waiting for that car to be delivered to the other dealership, for him to pick up for me, he tell me that he has found another that doesn't have the painted rims. But, has the moonroof and nav option. Said it was mine for the price he quoted me for the previous car (the one with the painted rim option). I said hell yeah, and picked it up from him 3 days later! I do find that the moonroof opens up the interior. My '04 SVT Focus had one. My MS3 didn't. Just felt strange in the MS3, not having it there.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #4
rodmoe--please note that I've figured out the poll formatting thing, in case you wish to click the radio button that corresponds. I actually leaned in the direction you do, but with acknowledgement that there will likely be sunny spring/summer days when it will be fun, so. . . .

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
rodmoe--please note that I've figured out the poll formatting thing, in case you wish to click the radio button that corresponds. I actually leaned in the direction you do, but with acknowledgement that there will likely be sunny spring/summer days when it will be fun, so. . . .
Gotcha :)
Not sure it is a problem so i went with "Was it an option" as i have had good luck with my moonroofs they always worked and have yet to have a leaker.. :) if you like them great they can be fun :)

2 is the closest option for me also. I deliberately chose a vehicle without a moonroof.

I have never had a leaking moonroof, but I have had moonroof issues before. On my last car, a 2003 VW GTI, sometimes I would have issues with the moonroof closing properly after I had used it. And sometimes it would tilt open on its own, without touching any of the power controls. It did this sometimes even when that car was not running and I had already exited and locked the car. Imagine if it was raining and I didn't notice this?

In addition to problems that will occur over time, my wife always complained if I opened the moonroof while she was in the car that the air flow was messing up her hair. So the wife, plus the fact that the thing occasionally took an extra 5-min to verify was properly closed led me to stop using the moonroof entirely. I don't need it. The wife doesn't like it. There will be problems eventually.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #7
Gotcha :)
Not sure it is a problem so i went with "Was it an option" as i have had good luck with my moonroofs they always worked and have yet to have a leaker.. :) if you like them great they can be fun :)
I wondered where that came from! No worries--not like money's riding on this!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #8
Dave--you hit on exactly what I meant, leaving aside whether the issue proves to be a leak or something else. I kinda like the idea, but if/when mine starts causing me problems, well, I might be wishing I'd waited and ordered one without.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I wish mine didnt have a moonroof but the orange recaros in a fully equipped tux black caught my interest. If I can turn back the clock I would choose a base silver with just recaros.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #11
That sounds like a hot combo, stuntdoogie; I like silver, but the black is much nicer, I think.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
That sounds like a hot combo, stuntdoogie; I like silver, but the black is much nicer, I think.
It is a hot combo, even better looking with black 17" sparcos but the keepin it clean maintenance is....ugh. It gets dirty so fast especially after $15 to wash it every time.

I wanted the sunroof and I got it!

I had one on most of my car to date, never had a leak and always enjoyed the open roof in the summer.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I like the option of using the moon roof so it was a must for me to have it.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I hate that the moonroof doeant have an auto close option, so you gotta make sure you close it fully.

I'm an option #3 guy. The FiST is my first car with a sunroof. The car had everything else I wanted so I pulled the trigger. We'll see if I use it this spring/summer.

STooge

HAD TO HAVE my Fiance had two requests, Green Envy and Moonroof, thats it. Simple. Buy no issues with it yet. No air noises or leaks.

Opted out of the moon roof and navigation so I could afford the recaros. Feels like my car is giving me a warm hug every time I sit in it!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #20
I just decided the buttons to control the moonroof are entirely too close to the dome lights; as I tried to turn on dome lights, I opened the moonroof; as I tried to turn off the lights, I opened it again. Then again, maybe this is related to why my 5th grade piano teacher suddenly retired.