Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moonroof: great idea or factory-installed leak?

Moonroof? Yay? No way?

• Had to have to moonroof. Howling, growling, and prowling!

Votes: 49 31.0%
  • No moonroof. It's a factory-installed leak.

Votes: 30 19.0%
  • Got one, but only because it came on an available car that had everything I really wanted.

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • Kinda wanted one, but found car that had everything else I wanted, so I'm living without. No biggie.

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Moonroof? That was an option?

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
I love moonroofs! My last car a Mazdaspeed3 didn't have it and I really missed it,nothing Better than having the best of both worlds on a hot summer day where your running ice cold a/c and have the moon roof wideee opeenn [coolsmile]

-ry

I don't buy a vehicle with a moonroof. Past experience includes leaks, wind noise and failed mechanicals. It also puts weight in the wrong place and usually reduces headroom. Too bad they come standard on too many cars, and most often are not eligible as a delete option. In the final analysis, a convertible is the better choice (if it is a choice offered by a manufacturer) for that open air feeling.

I love moon/sunroofs. But I think the term "moonroof" is a bit generous on the FST. More of a mail slot if you ask me. But I'm coming from a MINI with their giant, double pane roof. Anyway, let the sunshine in!

I was surprised to see that the moonroof hardware is plastic. That probably keeps the weight down and is less expensive to manufacture, but I'm wondering how that'll hold up ten years from now. Or even five.

I love convertibles but hate moonroofs for all the reasons NorthernProducer stated. When looking for my FiST I was open to most colors and options, but the moonroof was the one item that was a deal-breaker on any car.

Mine has already been making a grinding noise when I open and close it and I can see it vibrating during operation. Looks like the plastic bits need some grease. Tomorrow will see some proper machine grease on the rails and rollers.

I was considering lubricating the sunroof mechanism too. But, since it's plastic hardware, I'm wondering what kind of grease is appropriate. Petroleum based grease may damage the plastic. Would white lithium work? Or maybe a dry graphite? Any Ford techs out there know what the factory recommends?

I really an not into moon roofs in general but seen as my windows rattle if they aren't down more than an inch, having the roof open to vent has been nice. If it leaks I will take it in, that's why i have a warranty. Never would have ordered it that way. But it was the only local car that was orange or white with orange recaros. Which is what i wanted.

No moonroof is why my car is still in Mexico...had a Jetta Wolfsburg with a leaky mroof...that and a clogged drain=PITA

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I really an not into moon roofs in general but seen as my windows rattle if they aren't down more than an inch, having the roof open to vent has been nice. If it leaks I will take it in, that's why i have a warranty. Never would have ordered it that way. But it was the only local car that was orange or white with orange recaros. Which is what i wanted.
Ugh, the window rattling drives me insane sometimes. I feel your pain there

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Doin 50mph+ on the freeway it gets noisy with my roof open....not even worth having it.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Doin 50mph+ on the freeway it gets noisy with my roof open....not even worth having it.
I Know thats another reason I opted out of the hole in the roof from past cars doing same.. On a side mild off topic note.. I took a datalog run with only the drivers window open.. I DID NOT KNOW my stereo could sound like that as the air was sucked in and out of my ear drums.. This car does not like to be driven with only one window open .. its Two or more or None.. anyway back on the moon/sunroof topic...

Mine had a moon roof, seeing as how I was originally going after a FoST when I went to the dealer, I took what was available. It just happened to be everything I wanted as well. I enjoy the moon roof, had one on my ZX5 and made a lot of use out of it, and 10 years with no leaks, so i'm not that worried.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I Know thats another reason I opted out of the hole in the roof from past cars doing same.. On a side mild off topic note.. I took a datalog run with only the drivers window open.. I DID NOT KNOW my stereo could sound like that as the air was sucked in and out of my ear drums.. This car does not like to be driven with only one window open .. its Two or more or None.. anyway back on the moon/sunroof topic...
You are so right about the windows.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #35
On a side mild off topic note.. I took a datalog run with only the drivers window open.. I DID NOT KNOW my stereo could sound like that as the air was sucked in and out of my ear drums.. This car does not like to be driven with only one window open .. its Two or more or None.. anyway back on the moon/sunroof topic...
+1, no question

How about 4 windows open half way...that does it for me...no bass drum

I got the moon roof and have almost always had one or a convertible. I've never had a problem with either type of roof. There have been no leaks or rattles...okay a few rattles in the Miatas [hah]

I have one and it now sounds like poprocks while driving. Started at 5000 miles.
Same, but only when the shade is opened. With the shade closed, it's okay, and with the sunroof opened or tilted, it's okay.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
^ Same here. My S4 moonroof did the same thing. I just close the shade, it's no big deal to me.