Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moonroof: great idea or factory-installed leak?

Moonroof? Yay? No way?

• Had to have to moonroof. Howling, growling, and prowling!

Votes: 49 31.0%
  • No moonroof. It's a factory-installed leak.

Votes: 30 19.0%
  • Got one, but only because it came on an available car that had everything I really wanted.

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • Kinda wanted one, but found car that had everything else I wanted, so I'm living without. No biggie.

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Moonroof? That was an option?

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
I love my moonroof. Don't have any issues with noise or leaks. Generally always have it open. [bootyshake]

Had one in my last 3 cars. Almost always closed with the shade closed too. I don't roll the windows down either. Now that I have quit smoking, there is no reason to open them. My car stays climate controlled. I am glad that I custom ordered this ST without a sunroof. I think the performance version of the roof makes the car look faster, too.

I always wanted it, but it cost too much for me. So I /was/ going to get the ST without it. I was actually going to get it in white with only the recaro package and that was it. But then they had on in molten orange with everything and then the sunroof and navigation. They made me a deal that I was totally Okay with. So I drove home with a new ST fully loaded (Minus the wheels and stripes).

Mine just happened to come with one. I can take it or leave it but I do like to crack it open for a little ventilation when I don't want to open the windows.

None of the poll options work for me

I didn't get it because it adds weight to the top of the car, plus it wasn't worth the money they were asking

I went to a dealership near me this weekend that had a loaded Shadow Black with Orange Recaros. I'm 5' 10" and it took too much headroom away. I also didn't like the placement. Wish those 2 things weren't an issue since I think it adds a littl feeling of a more spacious interior.

Didn't want it, but I love it. I'm just worried about clearance with a helmet on because I'm tall. Maybe getting a replacement one made out metal or something rather than heavy glass.

I find the moonroof useless as a means to see out, but it's really handy when it comes to opening up the windows. The windows make more noise without the moonroof open. Things get quieter with it open and quite a bit of air goes up and out the aperture - my wifes hair blows up and kinda out.

grnmachine02

If you park under trees, the drains will eventually clog. Especially pine trees. A little bit of periodic drain cleaning will go a long way. Every other time you wash the car, blow some canned air through the drain holes. Should keep you leak free.

That being said, every car I've ever owned has had a moon/sun roof and I've never had one leak.

Deli

Since I was coming from a Miata before the FiST, I wanted a moonroof just to have whatever little open air I could get on nice days. I'm still glad I got it since it makes the cabin feel a bit more open, but I only have 5k miles on the car and it's already starting to make creaking noises (no leaks yet). I may have to bring it in under warranty to get adjusted. I'm hoping it doesn't become a long term issue.

No sunroof here. Didnt want the extra weight/complexity/loss of headroom and I think it sits too far back.

I really wanted a Tuxedo Black model with the red calipers, unfortunately it came with a sunroof. Honestly, I regret the decision to get the sunroof because it's poorly designed and leaks badly (my car is a year old). It has been to the dealer for the issue and they could not replicate the problem which is ridiculous. All you need to do is take a hose and sprinkle the roof with water. I understand that every sunroof leaks a small amount; that's why gutters and drains are present. But when it leaks so much water that it somehow bypasses the drains and drenches your headliner, that's a totally different story.

Did my own testing and found that it only leaks into the headliner if the car is parked (nose-up) on a SLIGHT incline (which I did notify the dealer about). Any ideas?

I find the moonroof useless as a means to see out, but it's really handy when it comes to opening up the windows. The windows make more noise without the moonroof open. Things get quieter with it open and quite a bit of air goes up and out the aperture - my wifes hair blows up and kinda out.
Just curious, but why are you worried about visibility out the moonroof? Unless you're being pursued by black helicopters, I think you're driving wrong! :)

When the highest point in Wisconsin is a hill that is 1951 feet high I can understand your point of view. [poke][wink] The Republic of California has a a fair amount of mountains so being able to see up is a plus. Seeing Yosemite in a convertible is something I'd suggest putting on a bucket list. [thumb]

grnmachine02

I really wanted a Tuxedo Black model with the red calipers, unfortunately it came with a sunroof. Honestly, I regret the decision to get the sunroof because it's poorly designed and leaks badly (my car is a year old). It has been to the dealer for the issue and they could not replicate the problem which is ridiculous. All you need to do is take a hose and sprinkle the roof with water. I understand that every sunroof leaks a small amount; that's why gutters and drains are present. But when it leaks so much water that it somehow bypasses the drains and drenches your headliner, that's a totally different story.

Did my own testing and found that it only leaks into the headliner if the car is parked (nose-up) on a SLIGHT incline (which I did notify the dealer about). Any ideas?
Do you park the car outside? Chances are the drains are clogged up.

Do you park the car outside? Chances are the drains are clogged up.
I do not park outside. Dealer inspected the drains and found no clogs. The leak appears above the left-rear door and travels rear-ward to the hatch area.