Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moonroof: great idea or factory-installed leak?

Moonroof? Yay? No way?

• Had to have to moonroof. Howling, growling, and prowling!

Votes: 49 31.0%
  • No moonroof. It's a factory-installed leak.

Votes: 30 19.0%
  • Got one, but only because it came on an available car that had everything I really wanted.

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • Kinda wanted one, but found car that had everything else I wanted, so I'm living without. No biggie.

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Moonroof? That was an option?

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

joesiris

like a lot of you I settled for a moonroof I really didn't want, just because here where I live these cars are not popular at all (actually ive only seen one bout a year ago) so there were only a handful to choose from. But it is there so I use it, its nice, but why is it so far back... it really is in an awkward spot.

Mine was a factory installed leak...the drain tub was not connected properly (or came disconnected) and all the water that was supposed to drain from the sunroof drained into my headliner. I'm indifferent to a sunroof in general...if it was bigger (like the older TC, the Veloster, or something like that) I think it'd be cooler, but as it is it's very small.

why is it so far back... it really is in an awkward spot.
Blame the ginormous raked windshield.

I'm indifferent to a sunroof in general...if it was bigger (like the older TC, the Veloster, or something like that) I think it'd be cooler, but as it is it's very small.
My wife liked each of those cars for their sunroofs until we drove them. The veloster's was kinda loud, the TC's was VERY loud in both the tilted and the open position. I'm pretty sure my wife would have gotten the TC instead of the ST had the sunroof not been obnoxious.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I love a large sunroof... so long as it's trouble-free. So far so good and it's still quite new.

A little water is getting in somewhere but not from the sunroof / moonroof / window-roof. Doesn't matter if it's driven. If you close the window shade and let the car sit in the hot sun the inside windows will fog up. Open the window shade and the moon/sun roof window is dry as a bone. Recently started hearing a little crinkling as I roll down the driver window and the corners on the door seals are deformed. So it's either the vapor barrier inside the driver door or/and the door seals.

Definitely had to have the sunroof. Works well except for the fact that you can't close it after shutting off the engine; like you can the door windows. It also has one-touch open function, but not a one-touch close. (meanwhile the one-touch open/close for the driver window is a minor annoyance) I try to remember to begin closing the roof window as I approach a parking spot, but sometimes forget and shutdown the engine... meaning I have to reactivate the ignition to close the roof. (each time you activate the ignition, most vehicles typically inject a little fuel to prime the engine for starting)

I drive with the seat position all the way back but, with a straight-back seat. From that perspective it is too far back. If I leaned the seat back like most people, it would be about right though. As is, it's still over my head, but well out of my field of view. Perhaps it's that way with intent on keeping the sun out of eyes? Anyway it's all good. Very effective at controlling cabin temps during the Summer. Curious how it will hold up with repeated rain, freeze, thaw, refreeze cycles of the many impending WInters.

grnmachine02

I think they should take another look. I suppose it could be leaking through a door seal, but over the left rear door is right where a drain should be. I suppose it could be leaking past the seal itself.

No leaks here. I actually wanted no moonroof, no nav, because I don't really care too much about them on this car and wanted to save the pennies. Short of it is, the dealership I spoke to about a car with these options lied to me and told me they had my model in stock, but it actually wasn't and was a couple of weeks out. So I decided then and there I was not going to buy from them.

Meanwhile at the time, I was already speaking to other dealers trying to get competitive pricing and I was offered all the options I wanted, and then on top of that getting moonroof and nav for just $300 more than what the other dealer was offering me (for the no moonroof model). So I took it. And he offered to deliver my car to me in the city, which was very nice! So I went that route, and I bought the car over text message and email, and never even set foot in a dealer showroom. No test drives, nothing.

The Sync3 with the nav has already come in handy, and all my previous cars have had moon roofs anyway so it ends up that for me, it is more pleasant to have one than not.

I haven't had a moonroof on a car in a while and missed it. It's a small car and I find it really helps open up the small and dark interior.

After a few months and several visits to the dealership, I'm happy to report that the sunroof leak is repaired. Turns out the rubber seal around the glass wasn't doing its job at all. So much water would leak past it that, if there car were parked on some sort of include, the volume of water entering the gutters would overwhelm the drains and cause it to leak into the headliner. Dealership replaced the glass under warranty.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I love a large sunroof... so long as it's trouble-free. So far so good and it's still quite new.

A little water is getting in somewhere but not from the sunroof / moonroof / window-roof. Doesn't matter if it's driven. If you close the window shade and let the car sit in the hot sun the inside windows will fog up. Open the window shade and the moon/sun roof window is dry as a bone. Recently started hearing a little crinkling as I roll down the driver window and the corners on the door seals are deformed. So it's either the vapor barrier inside the driver door or/and the door seals.

Definitely had to have the sunroof. Works well except for the fact that you can't close it after shutting off the engine; like you can the door windows. It also has one-touch open function, but not a one-touch close. (meanwhile the one-touch open/close for the driver window is a minor annoyance) I try to remember to begin closing the roof window as I approach a parking spot, but sometimes forget and shutdown the engine... meaning I have to reactivate the ignition to close the roof. (each time you activate the ignition, most vehicles typically inject a little fuel to prime the engine for starting)

I drive with the seat position all the way back but, with a straight-back seat. From that perspective it is too far back. If I leaned the seat back like most people, it would be about right though. As is, it's still over my head, but well out of my field of view. Perhaps it's that way with intent on keeping the sun out of eyes? Anyway it's all good. Very effective at controlling cabin temps during the Summer. Curious how it will hold up with repeated rain, freeze, thaw, refreeze cycles of the many impending WInters.
I was incorrect. Put a little silicone lubricant down the sunroof water drains. There is some staining along the driver and passenger sun visor mounts.

You can see the drain holes, standing over the car, and looking over the front corners.

Now that I know what the source of the issue is, may go ahead and let the dealer service center handle this under warranty. But first, will be looking into what it may take to gain access to those vents for possible self-repair.

I had to have a moonroof. I had a 2012 Fiesta before with moonroof and even if it's really small, it makes a good difference interior luminosity and I like just cracking the moonroof for a small draft. Plus the headliner of the FiST being black versus the one in my previous Fiesta being beige, it's even darker! So moonroof was a must and the only option I absolutely wanted. Ended up with Rado grey wheels and navigation, but I had a great deal on a used one.

With over 110000km on my 2012 (bought it new, so I knew the history), it never leaked or had any problem at all, so it was not a concern at all for me.

I didn't look for a car that had one on it specifically, just ended up with it. But I'll admit that I love it, makes the car feel roomier and helps it breathe. I can have just the rear windows down with the moon roof cracked open and get a good air flow going. It's become something I look for on cars now.