Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LED Fog light bulbs

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Anyone plan on replacing their standard fog light bulbs with some LED ones?

I'd like to do a full LED conversion on all the lights...I really don't understand why automakers still use old outdated tech when LEDs are so cheap.

Well I did'nt know you could do that.

I was thinking about installing a good old HID kit in both headlights and fog lights. Are LED bulbs better since we don't have projectors?

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club

I was thinking about installing a good old HID kit in both headlights and fog lights. Are LED bulbs better since we don't have projectors?
We have converted the anti collision lights on a bunch of choppers to LED and let me tell you, if you get the good stuff it can mess up your vision.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5

Its more convenient as you don't have to deal with ballasts like on the HIDs, but it won't be as bright.

So are there LED bulbs we can use to replace the yellowish ones we have now? After having a MKV R32 with HID headlights since new in 08, I can't stand these barely visible "candles" we got from the factory. The first night I drove the Fiesta ST, I thought I either had sunglasses on, or the battery needed a charge. I could barely see a few feet in front of me! These feel that dim in comparison.

Perhaps I feel a "group buy" coming soon? ;)

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
So are there LED bulbs we can use to replace the yellowish ones we have now? After having a MKV R32 with HID headlights since new in 08, I can't stand these barely visible "candles" we got from the factory. The first night I drove the Fiesta ST, I thought I either had sunglasses on, or the battery needed a charge. I could barely see a few feet in front of me! These feel that dim in comparison.

Perhaps I feel a "group buy" coming soon? ;)
If you want the less yellowish look, the LEDs are going to be whiter than the halogens and you can select the temperatures(colors) similar to HIDs. The bulbs are pretty cheap $25-40 on ebay so a group buy isn't really going to save you much more. Plus you don't have to wait until the GB is over before you get your bulbs.

According to Sylvania for a '13 Fiesta

Low Beam Headlight Bulbs uses H11B
http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/h11b/

High Beam Headlight Bulbs uses H1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H1-7-5W-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4175b51bb5&vxp=mtr

Fog Light Bulbs uses H11
http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/h11/

I see these are called "daytime running lights". Are these true nighttime headlamp bulbs though? Or just low power consumption DRL only bulbs? I need better, brighter, less yellowish replacement bulbs so I can see better, and farther when driving at night.

Race instructors always told us when racing at night, it was always important to never overdrive past you lights. And the stock headlamps seem only good for 35mph.

Thanks!

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
I see these are called "daytime running lights". Are these true nighttime headlamp bulbs though? Or just low power consumption DRL only bulbs? I need better, brighter, less yellowish replacement bulbs so I can see better, and farther when driving at night.

Race instructors always told us when racing at night, it was always important to never overdrive past you lights. And the stock headlamps seem only good for 35mph.

Thanks!
If lighting is a big issue I would probably do the HID retrofit over the LEDs, that's if you don't have any quorums with using them on non-projector housings.

LED's are bright but they don't project the beam as nice as halogens or HIDs, and it sounds like you need a lot of light with your racing. By the way, what kind of racing do you do?

For me I just plan on doing the fog lights for looks and potentially see if I can get the headlight housing from Europe or projectors before doing an HID conversion. Maybe that would be a great thing to do a GB on.[^]

If lighting is a big issue I would probably do the HID retrofit over the LEDs, that's if you don't have any quorums with using them on non-projector housings.

LED's are bright but they don't project the beam as nice as halogens or HIDs, and it sounds like you need a lot of light with your racing. By the way, what kind of racing do you do?

For me I just plan on doing the fog lights for looks and potentially see if I can get the headlight housing from Europe or projectors before doing an HID conversion. Maybe that would be a great thing to do a GB on.[^]
Right now, sadly, cost is a factor. Perhaps I might look into just a whiter bulb, or others mentioned going from the H11 to H9 bulbs, though there might be a heat issue. Cause the yellowish color of the stock bulbs make OT seem so dim to me, or, I've been spoiled by having had HID since 06.

As for racing, it will just be AutoX and time trials, when I can afford it again. I just want to see better at night. Since I am 58 now, and wear glasses, my night vision is not what it used to be. Though many years ago, NW Indiana region SCCA used to hold nighttime AutoX events, and those were awesome!

KKaWing

Philips has an LED bulb that's passively cooled. kbcarstuff dot com carries them. "H11 Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Bulbs" is the name.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I decided to buy a pair of these, they came in and look great but I was leaving on a road trip, will fit them in a couple of weeks when I return, I lighted one up in the shop, very wide, white and great cutt off beams and excellent construction and should be pretty easy to install.

They offer military discounts and I am working on a Group Buy after I return, get enough buyers lined up the best discount will be $20% off.

For headlights, which you need more than fogs, I have very bright aftermarket bulbs in the stock housings, not that great, I will be doing a quality projector/HID install when I get back, that is a bit of a tough job due to getting the lights apart but worth it.