Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil catch can/Separator

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Hi guys
Finally got round to fitting an oil catch can in the PCV system the other day.
I choose to use a Pro-Vent style oil separator only because I got it at a good price from a mate that never fitted it to his SUV. I wouldn?t recommend using this type of separator because it is designed for a diesel engine and needed a few mods to allow me to use it on a turbo petrol engine.
Some notes. I used 17.5mm ID hose. The OEM male nipple fittings on the PCV valve and the Inlet manifold are a plastic type of material and 18.3mm OD. The original PCV hose appears to be a shrunk fit to these fittings with no hose clamps used, so care needs to be taken when clamping rubber type hose to these type of fittings to avoid crushing them. The engine moves on its mounts and the separator is fixed so hose slack and rubbing issues need to be taken into account. I used a check valve to prevent pressurization of the Separator from boost pressure.
Anyway I will let the photos do the talking.

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide6.JPG Slide7.JPG

Harvick

1000 Post Club
This is very creative Sekred be interested in seeing how much carbon this thing catches. This is a great mod for FI cars.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
This is in line 2 and yes it will be fun to see how much stuff you catch ..

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Job well done, keep us updated on the results.

Perry

Very cool. It'll be interesting to see what ya catch with that rig.

XuperXero

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

Just wondering how you connected to the weird ford clip on connector at the PCV valve and manifold?
I'm used to old Japanese cars that uses standard nipples, basically plug in and hose clamp it. Seems I can't do it here... My catch can just came in today.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I remove the OE hose from the "weird clips" at the intake manifold and PCV valve. This exposes plastic nipples about 18mm in OD. I clamped my hoses directly to these plastic nipples, careful Not to over tighten the clamps and crush the nipples. I also used brackets clamped to my hoses so any engine movement on its mounts does not pull directly on these nipples.

Oil separator.jpg

4.jpg

XuperXero

You have some big hoses. My catch can only came with 10mm ID hoses. But how come I see that in the pictures you are still using the original ford clips?

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
You have some big hoses. My catch can only came with 10mm ID hoses. But how come I see that in the pictures you are still using the original ford clips?
I really had no choice. The Ford clips use double O rings where they fit to the manifold and PCV valve. To replace these I would need to have something fabricated with a barb on one end for the hose to fit and a straight fitting the correct Dia with O rings and grooves on the other end to fit into the manifold and PCV valve. So it came down to cost, at least $100 I would say. Labour rates are expensive here, plus materials. Maybe you can think of a another method to connect your hoses. The catch can will be subject to full boost pressure (20psi ) unless you fit a check valve and theres manifold vacuum of around 24 inches of water. Sealing needs to good as you probably know, you don't want oil everywhere.
When ever I modify something, I try to think of all the things that could go wrong, even if its remote.

XuperXero

Thanks for the input. So basically you modified the original OE hoses in order to reuse the clip to the PCV?

I took some measurements today, well... This thing is definitely huge.

PCV Valve nipple
OD: 21mm
ID: 19mm

PCV Hose nipple
OD: 18mm (O-ring on this is 19~19.5mm)
ID: Approx. 9 mm as my caliper would not fit.

All my mods has to be reversible in case I need to take it for warranty claim and there has to be no evidence of tampering, I will be thinking this over the next couple of days.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Yes, it turned into bigger than Ben-Hur and a pain in the butt lol, OD: for the nipples should be the same on both ends, I used 17.5mm ID hose which was a firm fit.

MOFiST

Yes, it turned into bigger than Ben-Hur and a pain in the butt lol, OD: for the nipples should be the same on both ends, I used 17.5mm ID hose which was a firm fit.
Wow that doesnt look that much at all. I'm trying to get my shit together with the parts for this task. I have a catch can from my old car but the hoses are 16mm ID.

I was hoping you could give us a close up high res photo of what you did on the manifold barb to get your hose to fit it's not too clear for me. thanks Sekred.

Also I'm curious if you drive your car hard or just normal? Do you think that the amount of blow by would be effected by the way one drives?

XuperXero

Also I'm curious if you drive your car hard or just normal? Do you think that the amount of blow by would be effected by the way one drives?
Correct. Frequent redlines/higher rpm = more blowby

That said, I've redlined every single day since broken in. Been 2000km since I installed mine. I'm gonna need to check my can soon. I haven't seen anything in the transparent level yet though.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Wow that doesnt look that much at all. I'm trying to get my shit together with the parts for this task. I have a catch can from my old car but the hoses are 16mm ID.

I was hoping you could give us a close up high res photo of what you did on the manifold barb to get your hose to fit it's not too clear for me. thanks Sekred.

Its not much oil, which to me means either the separator does not work very well or the OEM system does a reasonable job of keeping oil out of the intake manifold to begin with.
I will try and take a close up image of how my hoses connect to the barbed manifold fittings latter today.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Close up images of the hose end, PCV valve. Intake manifold end is the same set up.

Catch hose.2.jpg Catch hose.jpg Catch hose.1.jpg

MOFiST

Thanks. So you cut off the OEM hose near the entry to attach your hose correct? Looks like I need to source a spare OEM PCV hose...