Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rust Proofing?

OP
A
Thread Starter #2
i think ford offers a 5 year warranty unlimited mileage for corrosion. i plan to keep the car for 5 or 6 years, maybe less. i'm thinking rustproofing would be a waste of money. your thoughts?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
i think ford offers a 5 year warranty unlimited mileage for corrosion. i plan to keep the car for 5 or 6 years, maybe less. i'm thinking rustproofing would be a waste of money. your thoughts?
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/03/should-you-rust-proof-your-new-car.html

Check link, myself, I would not bother. Best time to rust proof a car is during manufacture by Gal-dipping the body. Spaying any kind of anti-corrosion on after assemble is not very effective because it simple can't penetrate to all the areas where its needed.

OP
A
Thread Starter #4
yea i think i'll cancel my rustproofing and save $600. screw them, it costs 100 but they charge me 600. im not buying anything from ford except the car and breaks when needed (break pads have lifetime warranty when you get them replaced at ford, you only pay for labour after), or other essential oem parts like windshield wipers, oil change etc... even tire rotation and maintenance (i get free oil/filter changes for life).

thanks for the heads up.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
$600 is pretty high. Check out this video, they said its something you can do on a yearly basis for about $100. It's also noted in the video that the rust proofing provided by some dealers can do more harm than good.

[video=youtube;r3I8ONkIdf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3I8ONkIdf4&noredirect=1[/video]

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
thanks for the vid, that's actually a toronto news station haha.

so in that case, i'll leave the car without rustproofing for 1 to 2 years and then start rustproofing yearly around november. makes sense?

OP
A
Thread Starter #7
another thing im worried about is the chemicals. can the chems do harm? i'm very lost when it comes to this topic. i read somewhere that the chems can damage rubber parts... hmmm