Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST MPG is amazing!

Although the engine isn't even worked in well enough yet, I'm getting some impressive numbers.

I did a long highway drive today and I got 6.0L/100KM or 39.2MPG... of course I wasn't flooring it but was driving between 110km/h to 120km/h.

I'm sure I can do even better than that. I wonder why some are saying it's bad on fuel... amateurs.. lol

Either you're driving on a downgrade, or I have a bad engine. I've never gotten a better average than 33mpg @ 75mph.

120km's about 75mph. Also, do you have that ethanol crap in yall's gas? That could be the difference, as well. I could probably get 38-40mpg at 50mph. But,I never drive long enough at those slow speeds to average it.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yup bout what I do too.. I get great hi-way mileage but never that good that i saw because then there are the on ramps and stoplights :) lol

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
The trick is, you can't press the peddle down too hard, sure you can do it a few times on your trip to pass or whatever but don't make a habit out of revving to 3000+. In the city my numbers are not as impressive, but I manage between 8-9L/100KM (26-29MPG) and sometimes even 10+L/100KM (23-MPG) if im aggressive or in a hurry. I think I can improve my city driving fuel consumption too. The entire trip I was revving between 2600ish to 2900ish with a few slow downs to 1500 and up to 3500. Uphills I would slow down a bit but on down hills I would give it a little extra gas so I wouldn't need to apply it as much on flat terrain. Don't slam the gas peddle on uphills, that totally kills it, uphills should be treated gently and use the cars weight and speed to get you over it with as little gas as possible, so even if you slow down a bit on the uphill it's okay, you just saved $$$. Increase your speed on downhills, decrease on uphills, cruise control is good but a human will always be better.

Also I had all windows/moonroof closed for most of the trip and the heater was off. I think I can bring this thing down to 5.7 highway.

OP
A
Thread Starter #7
Oh yes, I think Esso (Exxon) says "up to" 10% ethanol.

While we're talking about gas, is the 94 octane gas ok on the FiST or is that going overboard? Could it cause damage?

On a side note, we have ethanol free gas here too, should I buy that one? I always thought ethanol is good for the car but burns quicker. Gas cap says e0 to e15 so the e10 should be fine, i hope.

I average 8.5 its not bad but its not amazing

I believe the car asks for 93 for optimal performance can run on 87 and 94 wont kill it
In my case it is 91 or 94 so i use 94

OP
A
Thread Starter #11
I average 8.5 its not bad but its not amazing

I believe the car asks for 93 for optimal performance can run on 87 and 94 wont kill it
In my case it is 91 or 94 so i use 94
Thanks for the info. In that case I will use 91 octane and treat the car to 94 a few times per month.

OP
A
Thread Starter #12
ok so maybe a mix would be perfect. 40% 91 octane and then pump 60% of the 94 should blend to about 93 right?

I just made a straight shot to Vegas from Portland, OR. 950 miles @ 65-75MPH. I averaged 36.2 the whole trip. That's just over 430 miles a tank...Not to bad at all! I imagine if you drove on a flat road @ 50 you could manage well over 40 I think.

OP
A
Thread Starter #14
I just made a straight shot to Vegas from Portland, OR. 950 miles @ 65-75MPH. I averaged 36.2 the whole trip. That's just over 430 miles a tank...Not to bad at all! I imagine if you drove on a flat road @ 50 you could manage well over 40 I think.
That's not bad at all, I think you could have done a bit better but still pretty damn good IMO.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
That's not bad at all, I think you could have done a bit better but still pretty damn good IMO.
IM thinking if my geography serves there are some elvation changes along that route .. so dang good considering the over all speed.. playing around I can get high 30's near forty at 55 mph (just have to plan a extra day or two travel time) LOL and boy is it hard to keep this car at that speed !!

lol...I'm not that concerned with it. I'll just continue setting the cruise at 80mph, and let it fall as it may. Will probably get better, once I get my first oil change out of the way. Coming up on 5k miles.

I'm just letting the dealership take care of it. Get free tires for life, if they do the services. With the way my tires wore on my MS3, I'm trying to take advantage of it. At least, until I see that they aren't going to wear as fast as the MS3's did. At 20k miles, I needed 4 new tires. The way they had it set up, the inner 2 inches of all 4 tires were worn flat. Pissed me off! That's was the last straw, and was when I got rid of it.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Just did my first long road trip today and averaged only 34 mpg. Filled her up with 93 premium to see if my average gets better.

I am taking a road trip this weekend. I'll post what I get. So far I have been able to stay close to 31mpg driving around in the suburbs. That is using 93 octane and shifting before 2500rpm.