Welcome to Focus RS Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Staff Team 12 Rep Points meFiSTo's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

2 Likes

More like an RS blog than a build thread...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well. friends, since there are are only a few of us here, I figured I would use this space to document the life of my RS. Since this car has an extended aftermarket warranty, I can't really do anything substantive to the engine or drive train (no upgrades to power, no LSD, no performance clutch, no flywheel, no oil-control assembly, no balance-shaft delete, etc.) without probably running into warranty issues should the car experience a serious failure. So, not really a build thread. If my car attends events, track days, etc, I'll post here.

I picked up a few items to prep the car for track use:

This will now be alternative daily driver and my track-day car. It does not need to be the fastest car or even fastest RS at an event. I just want to have a little fun and get home in one piece. I had planned to use my Fiesta ST as my track car, but I'm wary of that car's reliability with engine mods. Plus, I'm dialing back track visits. This RS will be a joy to take out to a local road course from time to time. It was made for that. I think the Fiesta was made more for canyon carving--which I don't do anymore since putting my then-new Gen1 MR2 into a ditch driving back to San Jose on Highway 9 from Boulder Creek in 1985. It was a minor ditching, but still sliding on Highway 9 toward the precipice when your rear-end snaps around is not fun. The ditch side was better than the cliff side so, WIN. And I DID drive home from that with only damage to the lower front valance.

The Focus platform is SO much more stable than the Fiesta. That translates into speed on the track (at least for me); add the AWD and a fairly significant HP/TQ bump compared to the Fiesta (even with the MRX upgraded turbo) and...yeehah!

My few bits of stuff is sitting in a box in my office until a track day gets lined up (seems like there is always something sitting in my office waiting to go on a car).

Other stuff that will happen to this car before its first track day:
    • Swap to more stout brake fluid (Torque RT700), Mishiimoto CHILL coolant, and eventually fresh transmission fluid
    • Serious nut and bolt of mounts, turbo hoses, etc. (really before and after track days)

Probably:
    • Fire extinguisher

Other inconsequential stuff that might happen:
    • mountune wing splash
    • Tint rear passenger windows and around back

Mostly cosmetic mods to date:

I'm going to add some thoughts about this car at some point here. Still less than 2000 miles on it. No commuting here. We mostly drive a couple of 17-year-old beaters around town, especially when we have our double-coated pug is with us. More than one passenger friend has commented to my wife about the insane amount of pug fur in the Jeep. I rarely have passengers (except Oscar and my wife) riding along. Anyway, I do not want Oscar's fur to take over this car or the other hatch, but mostly this car.

The fur-generating culprit:

Last edited by meFiSTo; 07-24-2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: knocked out quick shift and exhaust hangers for now...

>>> RS Mutterings, Adjustments and Ruminations <<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>> MRX Frankenfiesta <<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>> PNW Track Day Info <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Senior Member 60 Rep Points LonestarRS's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Excellent, subscribed.

Senior Member 21 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

We had a Pug growing up, best dog ever.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

@meFiSTo we are going to be quite the pair next summer. I’m also installing the Mountune RMM and short-throw shifter.

You should come down to The Shop when I tackle these projects. Probably after the holidays are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by alexvollmer View Post
    @meFiSTo we are going to be quite the pair next summer. I’m also installing the Mountune RMM and short-throw shifter.

You should come down to The Shop when I tackle these projects. Probably after the holidays are over.

Maybe so.

It won't always be the Focus at the track, but we will be representing Ford no doubt.

I think the likely split is 2/3 Fiesta, 1/3 RS for my track days. If I attend more track days, the higher the percentage of Fiesta days; fewer track days, closer to a 50/50 split. No matter what, it won't be many. Low end would be 1 event/year; high end would be 6. Fiesta is (and will remain) much more set up for track days. Despite its issues last summer, I do think it will hold up once any other mountune gotchas are discovered and settled. The (largely stock) Focus will hold up as well (probably better), but I want to hang on to that one for awhile. Keeping my fingers crossed that I never see the cold start white smoke, but I have an extended warranty just in case.
    Last edited by meFiSTo; 12-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Photo of winter wheels when they went on in October. This will be my year-round, everyday setup.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

This car is finally headed into the shop to get the few bits installed (pads, brake lines, RMM, PTU brace). After some thought, I've decided to make this my "track car" after all. That kind of reflects my tilt toward fewer track days and my distrust of the Fiesta in track day situations. My final two track days last year ended in the car limping home and requiring repairs. It will become my everyday grocery getter and occasional commuter.

I'm pretty sure that the RS will make a couple of track days before the end of the year. If so, I'll try to post some video and perhaps pics from the day. Portland will happen for sure and maybe Shelton. Fiesta is still stuck in the garage pending garage door replacement. Looks like we are going to get a custom door to match the existing doors rather than replacing all 3 doors with "standard" doors. It's going to cost some $$$.

Moderator Staff Team 88 Rep Points GhostRS's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by meFiSTo View Post
    This car is finally headed into the shop to get the few bits installed (pads, brake lines, RMM, PTU brace). After some thought, I've decided to make this my "track car" after all. That kind of reflects my tilt toward fewer track days and my distrust of the Fiesta in track day situations. My final two track days last year ended in the car limping home and requiring repairs. It will become my everyday grocery getter and occasional commuter.

I'm pretty sure that the RS will make a couple of track days before the end of the year. If so, I'll try to post some video and perhaps pics from the day. Portland will happen for sure and maybe Shelton. Fiesta is still stuck in the garage pending garage door replacement. Looks like we are going to get a custom door to match the existing doors rather than replacing all 3 doors with "standard" doors. It's going to cost some $$$.
    Damn! Get those doors fixed! The poor Fiesta needs to come out!

Thx for posting... definitely post up your track days.
    'Ghost' Stealth Gray RS
    Build Number: 12615 Build Date: 10/23/16 Bought: 01/23/17
    2017 Ford Escape SE, 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spyder, 2016 Ford Escape SE

Administrator Staff Team 66 Rep Points MKIIIRS's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Kim which RMM did you get?
    2014 Fiesta ST - Fiesta ST Build
    2016 Focus RS - Focus RS Build

Want a free FocusRSForum decal? Click Here
    Follow Us On: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Google+

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    WA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by MKIIIRS View Post
    Kim which RMM did you get?
    Hi! Mountune.

First track day today. Just out to shake out the cobwebs and get a feel for the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast