Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Remote start with alarm

Is there anything out there for our cars? When I bought my 14 WRX and took it to Best Buy to get a viper remote start installed, the tech told me I'm the first person in the entire country that has asked to get this done and that he didn't have any schematics for it. After doing some research and me telling him to use 13 or 12 diagrams he started to work on it and was successful with it. Now I've had this on my previous Subaru so I knew I cant leave it in gear (which I never do) unless I park on a hill so he made sure and explained that to me a million times. That being said, this is the end result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W-XXJdN45s

Now I went back to the same person (friends brother) and he looked it up and there's nothing for our cars within the Best Buy system. He can do a Fiesta with a regular key but nothing with a smart key. He said he submitted an inquiry to the geek squad team and as soon as one is done in the US, he will know how to do it. The other options is for him to play with the wiring and hope it works which I'm not risking lol.

So has anyone successfully have a remote start installed on their ST?

Harvick

1000 Post Club
I was told the same thing by a viper dealer, they don't have the module for the Fiesta with the smart key.

TheStig

FYI its very difficult since we have keyless start. They would need to cannibalize one of your key fobs and put the proximity chip in your steering column or somewhere close. Otherwise when you try to activate the remote start, the car will not turn on because it will think there is no key fob near it.

The other problem with that is if someone should be able to defeat the alarm, doubtful, but lets just say they did (or worse you parked it and didn't arm it) they would just have to step in and push the start button and be gone.

From when I spoke with several Directed Electronics installers (Viper, Clifford, Python, all are DE) about my push button start in my Mazdaspeed3. Maybe it has changed by now, but I don't think so.

Hmmm my dealer tried offering me a discounted price for remote start only at time of purchase,I could always ask how and what company there were gonna use.

-ry

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
Ok, so now I am looking into a remote start for my 15 ST. Has anyone had one installed successfully?

well the fiesta Titanium automatic has a remote start but if you want a manual you'll lose it.....

Sooo maybe you guys could check it out?

You could get a factory remote starter from ford, asked future shop and visions they have no idea or parts for it.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
You could get a factory remote starter from ford, asked future shop and visions they have no idea or parts for it.
The problem lies with the Push button/Intelligent key. The OEM remote starter kit (EE8Z-19G364-A) for the Fiesta applies only to non-push button and automatic transmissions models.

TheStig

yep as mentioned above, the proximity chip in the key makes it difficult.

So I just talked to my brother who has a 2012 titanium focus push start, ford did it for him but it might be different for the fiesta.

TheStig

So I just talked to my brother who has a 2012 titanium focus push start, ford did it for him but it might be different for the fiesta.
You could ask but the jist of what i was told for my MS3 and basically any push button start car. They have to cannibalize a spare key to pull out the chip which tells the car that you are near so it will start or unlock, place that in a secure spot in the car. Then when you press the remote start button, the car is "fooled" into thinking you and the key are in it and starts.

The problem with this is without a REALLY good alarm, that means if the car is not armed, someone can hop in and start it and drive off. The car senses the key coded chip is in proximity, it does not know anything is wrong. The alarms was a failsafe to keep someone out of the car because once they are in, if no immobilizers are in place, the thief basically has your car and its key.

Maybe this changed in the last couple of years, idk.

Also bear in mind if you leave it in gear.... You're liable to have an accident. Also doesn't the fist need the clutch depressed to start, too?

Also bear in mind if you leave it in gear.... You're liable to have an accident. Also doesn't the fist need the clutch depressed to start, too?
I think there are some system that won't start if the gear is not in neutral. The clutch lockout can be electronically bypassed.

Between the proximity chip and the clutch lockout, I think its a lost cause..

If you are wedging an immobiliser from a hacked up key in the car, the car is no longer immobilised. Your insurance is probably going to be pretty upset about that...

TheStig

Actually Viper makes alarms specifically for manual trans vehicles. It bypasses the clutch switch, car must be in neutral, and parking brake must be set. If the car is in gear OR parking brake off it will not start.

Thats the simple part. The hard part goes back to the push button start and proximity switch.

Actually Viper makes alarms specifically for manual trans vehicles. It bypasses the clutch switch, car must be in neutral, and parking brake must be set. If the car is in gear OR parking brake off it will not start.

Thats the simple part. The hard part goes back to the push button start and proximity switch.
Viper, that's the one! I recall their kits were pretty expensive especially if it was for a manual vehicle.

I believe the proximity sensor can be overridden with a signal fob. There are lots of cars that have both remote start and proximity start. No idea if its possible to retrofit a FiSt with this.

TheStig

Still goes back to the original point most likely, unless pushing the remote start activates a proximity chip in the car AND starts it at once, then perhaps. Then maybe when you get out and arm the alarm it cuts off the proximity chip and that way no signal is created for the car to start or unlock. That may actually work if wired up right.

And back in 2008ish when i originally saw an Integra GSR with manual trans and remote start, it was an 800$ security system from Viper. Now a days its around 500$ but there are more expensive models.

The remote starts for manual trans cars has a safety feature to prevent the car from being left in gear in cars with a normal ignition switch. It does this in a process when you park the car where:

1: Stop car w/engine running and apply parking brake.
2: Press "ARM" button on remote while depressing brake and clutch pedals, dash lights will flash indicating system arm.
3: Release both pedals and remove key from ignition(engine remains running to confirm car is in neutral).
4: Exit car, engine shuts off as soon as door is closed and locked. Remote start will now work.

That's how my old Viper system worked on my Eclipse turbo 5-speed. This will work just fine with a push button start as well but in our case as mentioned the proximity remote is the issue. I'm sure they will find a way around it eventually but it won't be perfect.