Welcome to Focus RS Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

Senior Member 12 Rep Points FocusMike's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

No more Focus RS, Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant will "will transition to two vehicles" being the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, as the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing into the next generation sedans. The Taurus is no more.

The press release also talks about a new type of vehicle though it sounds like a crossover. This so-called white space vehicle will "combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility."

Currently, Ford sells six sedans and coupes in North America with the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Mustang and Taurus. This lineup hits multiple segments from the compact Fiest to the mid-size Focus, C-Max and Fusion to the full-size Taurus. The Mustang stands alone as the lone coupe.

It's likely Lincoln's sedan's will also disappear though this was not explicitly stated in today's press release. Lincoln currently sells the mid-size MKZ and full-size Continental -- both share platforms with Ford counterparts. If Ford is phasing out development of sedan platforms, Lincoln will likely suffer, too.

This reduction in traditional cars was a long time coming. North America consumers have increasing turned to crossovers, trucks and SUVs over sedans and small cars. A trip to any parking lot will likely produce more evidence to this movement. There are several factors involved from more fuel efficient and better equipped trucks and SUVs along with improved safety ratings and ride qualities of these vehicles.

Ford also today reaffirmed its commitment to bringing hybrid-electric powertrains to the F-150, Mustang, Explorer, Escape and upcoming Bronco.

This announcement comes several weeks after Ford explained in broad terms its love affair of trucks and SUVs. Ford estimates that SUVs could make up as much as half the entire U.S. industry retail market by 2020, and that’s why it’s shifting $7 billion in investment capital from its cars business over to the SUV segment. By 2020, Ford also aims to have high-performance SUVs in market, including five with hybrid powertrains and one fully battery electric model.

With this big hybrid push on the SUV side, Ford expects to go from second to first-place in the U.S. hybrid vehicles market by sales, surpassing current leader Toyota by 2021, thanks also to the forthcoming hybrid Mustang and F-150.

Moderator Staff Team 88 Rep Points GhostRS's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Just surprised they are getting rid of the Focus... it's been great selling car I thought?
    'Ghost' Stealth Gray RS
    Build Number: 12615 Build Date: 10/23/16 Bought: 01/23/17
    2017 Ford Escape SE, 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spyder, 2016 Ford Escape SE

Senior Member 60 Rep Points LonestarRS's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRS View Post
    Just surprised they are getting rid of the Focus... it's been great selling car I thought?
    Same here, I see Focus everywhere. Hopefully this means that our RS will hold it's value better.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarRS View Post
    Same here, I see Focus everywhere. Hopefully this means that our RS will hold it's value better.
    Maybe? But I never count on my cars keeping a high value.
    'Ghost' Stealth Gray RS

Administrator Staff Team 66 Rep Points MKIIIRS's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    AZ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRS View Post
    Maybe? But I never count on my cars keeping a high value.
    It probably wouldn't be a high value but it may hold its a value better. I guess time will tell.
    2014 Fiesta ST - Fiesta ST Build
    2016 Focus RS - Focus RS Build

Want a free FocusRSForum decal? Click Here
    Follow Us On: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - Google+

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    True.
    'Ghost' Stealth Gray RS