Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6 Ecoboost "Lifetime" Timing Belt

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Asked this question across a few boards but no definite answer. If someone works for Ford corporate or at the dealership, can you answer if the timing belt for the 1.6 Ecoboost is really sump lubricated and "lifetime"? It might be just me, but every time I see the word "lifetime" applied to an maintenance item, it usually means 100K service [thumbdown]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I believe it gets lubricated, and ford doesnt specify a certain mileage for it. They just say if it fails to figure out why it failed.
So its one of the yes and no answers haha

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I believe it gets lubricated, and ford doesnt specify a certain mileage for it. They just say if it fails to figure out why it failed.
So its one of the yes and no answers haha
God that is the worst answer lol, this is a first for me, a timing belt that is sump oil lubed, I don't know what to expect maintenance wise. Why the hell is the 2.0 motor a timing chain but the 1.6 is a timing belt?!

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
God that is the worst answer lol, this is a first for me, a timing belt that is sump oil lubed, I don't know what to expect maintenance wise. Why the hell is the 2.0 motor a timing chain but the 1.6 is a timing belt?!
Haha ya I dunno man. Maybe someone else can chime in, but thats what I have read...

Sekred

1000 Post Club
10 years or 240,000kms, replace camshaft and auxiliary drive belts - Ford warranty and service guide.

TheStig

wait its a belt, and its lubricated...

I don't see why they aren't all timing chains by now. I guess the extra noise...

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
wait its a belt, and its lubricated...

I don't see why they aren't all timing chains by now. I guess the extra noise...
The extra noise, and the extra crap that manufactures seem to never get right, like plastic chain guides, crap tensioners, stretching chains, so on and so on lol

Sekred

1000 Post Club
The extra noise, and the extra crap that manufactures seem to never get right, like plastic chain guides, crap tensioners, stretching chains, so on and so on lol
Reminds me of a story a work mate recently told me. A vehicle manufacture was having a warranty problem with their V6 engine . It was throwing up a CEL because the cam chain was stretching. Typically your current engines are fitted with a crank-angle sensor and camshaft position sensor so the ECU knows when to fire the Plugs and inject the fuel. In this case the stretching cam-chain was causing the two sensors to become out of sequence with each other and throwing up the CEL and code.
How does the manufacture solve this problem, replace the cam-chain?, no way. Delete the code from the system!!

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Reminds me of a story a work mate recently told me. A vehicle manufacture was having a warranty problem with their V6 engine . It was throwing up a CEL because the cam chain was stretching. Typically your current engines are fitted with a crank-angle sensor and camshaft position sensor so the ECU knows when to fire the Plugs and inject the fuel. In this case the stretching cam-chain was causing the two sensors to become out of sequence with each other and throwing up the CEL and code.
How does the manufacture solve this problem, replace the cam-chain?, no way. Delete the code from the system!!
Unfortunately, that kind of story is very common across many many different late model timing chain engines....4B11T, VAG V8's, so on [thumbdown]

Friend at work just had his timing chain replaced on his f150 ecoboost. 80,000 km and the chain had stretched causing the engine to have errors and go into limp mode. was covered under warranty. He asked if they had put an updated chain in to replace the faulty model, and they told him its the same model that had originally stretched. So I guess he's screwed when it hits 160,000km and he's out of warranty...

Perry

Friend at work just had his timing chain replaced on his f150 ecoboost. 80,000 km and the chain had stretched causing the engine to have errors and go into limp mode. was covered under warranty. He asked if they had put an updated chain in to replace the faulty model, and they told him its the same model that had originally stretched. So I guess he's screwed when it hits 160,000km and he's out of warranty...
FWIW, basically all chains in long-duration mechanical use stretch. Even bicycle chains stretch. To over-engineer the chain such that it wouldn't stretch over such long periods of use would be--well, let's just say "highly impractical".

I agree,

I think the v6 ecoboost had other design flaws that lead to his problem... they have a class action lawsuit against them, and some fairly costly replacement charges...

Hopefully the 1.6 is fairly issue free...

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
I agree,

I think the v6 ecoboost had other design flaws that lead to his problem... they have a class action lawsuit against them, and some fairly costly replacement charges...

Hopefully the 1.6 is fairly issue free...
Wow...this is unbelievable

whoosh

Why would a timing belt be lubricated? Typically TB failures can be caused by a small oil leak which ends up degrading the belt.

Also, does anyone know whether this engine is non-interference in design? It's one thing to be stranded when one of these lets go, but another to have valves crashing into pistons...

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Excellent question, I too would like to know if this motor is non-interference. My gut tells me we won't be so lucky, but maybe?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Why would a timing belt be lubricated? Typically TB failures can be caused by a small oil leak which ends up degrading the belt.

Also, does anyone know whether this engine is non-interference in design? It's one thing to be stranded when one of these lets go, but another to have valves crashing into pistons...
Its a lubricated belt. One of the reasons that its change-out interval is 240,000 kms. Interference is my guess to get the valve lift to produce the HP required. I have seen timing belts snap at 40,000 kms, 240,000 change-out is phenomenal.