Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.5 vs 1.6

Stkid93

Premium Account
So I’m new to the fist. I love 4 cylinders and tuner cars, but I do not like going any smaller than a 2 liter motor when talking about high performance turbo motors, i have never been a fan of the constant downsizing of 4 cylinder motors. Back in the day 4 cylinders were 2.2-2.4 liter then we started going towards 1.8-2.0 liters and Now we are down to 1.0 liter motors. As you downsize you need more forced induction and technology to make the same power. But you have less displacement and less cylinders to spread the stress across. So each cylinder gets more stress. In my mind the only company that’s been able to master tiny engines is Honda and that’s because none of their older engines were forced induction. They did have 1.6 liter engines but they used vtec for power instead of turbos.

as I’m sure we all know the United States fist comes with the 1.6. But the newer fists in other countries have gone down to the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder. Obviously technology is ever advanced and they were able to get the same power out of the 3 cylinder. I believe it makes about the exact same horsepower and maybe a little more torque. According to some drag facing videos the 3 banger is even faster stock for stock. Some people even say the 3 pot is better for tuning and makes more power. So hats off to ford for making that engine work. But it begs the question, with the engine being so new and so small. Will it last? Our 1.6 is pretty widely known as the most stout of the 4 cylinder ecoboosts. Again, hats off to ford, how they managed to make a 1.6 able to hold more power than the 2 liter and 2.3 is incredible.

i wanted to start a discussion on this, first of all. How do you all feel about the continued downsizing of 4 cylinder motors? How do you think these 3 cylinders will last long term? Do you think the 1.6 was already too small as is? Would you prefer The 3 cylinder in your car?

if you were in charge of ford would you move the company in the same direction? Or would you make it more like dodge? Dodge is awesome because they just don’t care. All the pressure about fuel economy and the environment and they are still making 700 horsepower supercharged big blocks and putting them in everything from 3 row suvs like the Durango to 4 door family cars like chargers. They are managing to meet requirements with big motors.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So I’m new to the fist. I love 4 cylinders and tuner cars, but I do not like going any smaller than a 2 liter motor when talking about high performance turbo motors, i have never been a fan of the constant downsizing of 4 cylinder motors. Back in the day 4 cylinders were 2.2-2.4 liter then we started going towards 1.8-2.0 liters and Now we are down to 1.0 liter motors. As you downsize you need more forced induction and technology to make the same power. But you have less displacement and less cylinders to spread the stress across. So each cylinder gets more stress. In my mind the only company that’s been able to master tiny engines is Honda and that’s because none of their older engines were forced induction. They did have 1.6 liter engines but they used vtec for power instead of turbos.

as I’m sure we all know the United States fist comes with the 1.6. But the newer fists in other countries have gone down to the 1.5 liter 3 cylinder. Obviously technology is ever advanced and they were able to get the same power out of the 3 cylinder. I believe it makes about the exact same horsepower and maybe a little more torque. According to some drag facing videos the 3 banger is even faster stock for stock. Some people even say the 3 pot is better for tuning and makes more power. So hats off to ford for making that engine work. But it begs the question, with the engine being so new and so small. Will it last? Our 1.6 is pretty widely known as the most stout of the 4 cylinder ecoboosts. Again, hats off to ford, how they managed to make a 1.6 able to hold more power than the 2 liter and 2.3 is incredible.

i wanted to start a discussion on this, first of all. How do you all feel about the continued downsizing of 4 cylinder motors? How do you think these 3 cylinders will last long term? Do you think the 1.6 was already too small as is? Would you prefer The 3 cylinder in your car?

if you were in charge of ford would you move the company in the same direction? Or would you make it more like dodge? Dodge is awesome because they just don’t care. All the pressure about fuel economy and the environment and they are still making 700 horsepower supercharged big blocks and putting them in everything from 3 row suvs like the Durango to 4 door family cars like chargers. They are managing to meet requirements with big motors.
All the truck guys said the V6EB would never last. We're making at least the same power and often times more, with smaller motors. Even a 700HP 392 with a supercharger is essentially the same displacement SMALL BLOCK, with a power adder.

The Corolla GR's 3 cylinder seems promising.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Fucks sake another of these threads. Sorry - were all thinking it lol.

I had the 1.5 in my escape. I prefer our 1.6 aside from the fact that the 1.5 has port and direct injection. The 3 cylinder had some really weird vibrations and noises.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Downsizing? The Fiesta started in 1977. In Europe it came with a 1 liter and a 1.3 liter. In the US it debuted in 1978 with the 1.6, which was later extended to Europe in the XR2 model. After it exited the US in 1981, it continued in Europe, primarily with 1 liter and 1.3 liter engines, with occasional performance models having larger engines like the 1.6, 1.8, and for one year a 2 liter, which was quickly abandoned.

I think your premise of downsizing the four cylinders is entirely wrong. The subcompact (or supermini B) cars have always been in the area of 1.6 liters or below, and this is true of all manufacturers. The fact is this class of cars is meant to provide high fuel economy, and the current crop of engines continue to provide that while also giving exceptional power. In fact, with front wheel drive, more power than 200 bhp makes the tiny car difficult to handle.

You have come to the Fiesta with experience only in the compact class of cars, which generally have engine sizes in the 1.6-2.3 liter range. These cars are longer and wider, and the additional room required of being a family car class also provides the room for wider track and larger tires to handle increased power of performance variants. This class of car is also priced higher, which allows for the larger and heavier duty parts necessary for handling higher power.

Regarding the 2.0 Ecoboost in a Fiesta, consider the dimensions of the engine. The 2.0 is HxLxW mm 679x664x568 and weighs 140 kg while the 1.6 is HxLxW mm 600x620x640 and weighs 99.9 kg. The Fiesta is much narrower than a Focus, and if you put 44 mm more engine between the front wheels, where's it going to go? How are you going to run wider tires? The cooling on a Fiesta ST is marginal in stock form. How are you going to cool the 2.0? The answers to all of these issues is to make the car bigger...and then you have a Focus.

Dialcaliper

Downsizing? The Fiesta started in 1977. In Europe it came with a 1 liter and a 1.3 liter. In the US it debuted in 1978 with the 1.6, which was later extended to Europe in the XR2 model. After it exited the US in 1981, it continued in Europe, primarily with 1 liter and 1.3 liter engines, with occasional performance models having larger engines like the 1.6, 1.8, and for one year a 2 liter, which was quickly abandoned.

I think your premise of downsizing the four cylinders is entirely wrong. The subcompact (or supermini B) cars have always been in the area of 1.6 liters or below, and this is true of all manufacturers. The fact is this class of cars is meant to provide high fuel economy, and the current crop of engines continue to provide that while also giving exceptional power. In fact, with front wheel drive, more power than 200 bhp makes the tiny car difficult to handle.

You have come to the Fiesta with experience only in the compact class of cars, which generally have engine sizes in the 1.6-2.3 liter range. These cars are longer and wider, and the additional room required of being a family car class also provides the room for wider track and larger tires to handle increased power of performance variants. This class of car is also priced higher, which allows for the larger and heavier duty parts necessary for handling higher power.

Regarding the 2.0 Ecoboost in a Fiesta, consider the dimensions of the engine. The 2.0 is HxLxW mm 679x664x568 and weighs 140 kg while the 1.6 is HxLxW mm 600x620x640 and weighs 99.9 kg. The Fiesta is much narrower than a Focus, and if you put 44 mm more engine between the front wheels, where's it going to go? How are you going to run wider tires? The cooling on a Fiesta ST is marginal in stock form. How are you going to cool the 2.0? The answers to all of these issues is to make the car bigger...and then you have a Focus.
Clearly you do what Ford did and lop a cylinder off the 2.0 to get a 3-cyl 1.5L…

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
I suppose you’re right there’s no way they could have gone bigger than 1.6: ken block swapped the 2 liter in his fiesta but that was no normal fiesta! Lol I also saw a swap of someone putting a 5 liter mustang coyote motor in a fiesta that was nuts