Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1000 miles past warranty and overheats? WTH?

So I just went out of warranty at 37,000 miles and my 2017 ST overheats on the way to work today. The coolant was low it went into limp mode, I made it to a gas station and put in some coolant and drove to work. I don't see anything leaking under the car so where is the coolant going? I've noticed a little miss during starts the last couple of weeks but it only last a couple seconds and runs fine after that with no issues, I have a AP with a Dizzy tune, a Whoosh intercooler, Injen full intake with the evap kit for the older emissions so not to throw a engine light, resonator delete and that's about it mor mods.Anyone have this problem? I'm really hoping it's not a head gasket issue as my warranty just ran out. COOP

So I just went out of warranty at 37,000 miles and my 2017 ST overheats on the way to work today. The coolant was low it went into limp mode, I made it to a gas station and put in some coolant and drove to work. I don't see anything leaking under the car so where is the coolant going? I've noticed a little miss during starts the last couple of weeks but it only last a couple seconds and runs fine after that with no issues, I have a AP with a Dizzy tune, a Whoosh intercooler, Injen full intake with the evap kit for the older emissions so not to throw a engine light, resonator delete and that's about it mor mods.Anyone have this problem? I'm really hoping it's not a head gasket issue as my warranty just ran out. COOP
I haven’t had the overheating issues on my 2017 ST with 20k miles on it but I also feel like I’m losing coolant but idk where. I’m below the minimum line and there are like glossy looking stains on my engine cover but idk if that’s related or not. I took the cover off and there are some stains there as well as well as part of the fabric underneath the the cover is damp but I can’t seem to find a leak. Also wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
How are you out of warranty the powertrain is a five-year 60,000 Mile warranty.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I know my car is 36,000 or 3 year but are you sure on the powertrain being 60,000? I assume that would include the coolant system? I'd be more than happy to take it back to the dealer but I'd probably need to put the stock intake back on and remove the AP? COOP

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I know my car is 36,000 or 3 year but are you sure on the powertrain being 60,000? I assume that would include the coolant system? I'd be more than happy to take it back to the dealer but I'd probably need to put the stock intake back on and remove the AP? COOP
I'm very sure.

https://www.carchex.com/content/ford-warranty

What Is Ford’s Powertrain Warranty Coverage?

If your vehicle is covered by a Ford powertrain warranty, it’s important to know that this warranty plan is much more limited than bumper-to-bumper coverage. Though it lasts for five years or 60,000 miles, the Ford powertrain warranty only covers the parts of the car that mechanically drive it forward (a.k.a., your car’s powertrain).

Ford powertrain warranties cover:

Engine

Transmission

Transfer case

Drive shafts

Axles

Differentials

Front-wheel drive

Rear-wheel drive

All-wheel drive

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Do you happen to be in Arizona lol. We have 2 FiSTs for coolant/overheating issues. Don't know the specifics since I'm just a lube tech for the time being.

Is there any white smoke coming out of the exhaust... even when the engine is at normal operating temperature? My guess is that there's a head gasket issue and perhaps the coolant has been burning away via combustion chambers. After a while, you'll need new oxygen sensors and probably a new converter as well if the head gasket isn't checked/replaced.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Are your overheats reproducible? The FiSTs are prone to o/h, but not in “normal driving conditions”.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Do you happen to be in Arizona lol. We have 2 FiSTs for coolant/overheating issues. Don't know the specifics since I'm just a lube tech for the time being.
No I'm in Tennessee and it was only 70 degrees out but it OH because it was low on coolant, 2nd time I've found it low in the last month. I'll have to look for a leak this weekend. COOP

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Is there any white smoke coming out of the exhaust... even when the engine is at normal operating temperature? My guess is that there's a head gasket issue and perhaps the coolant has been burning away via combustion chambers. After a while, you'll need new oxygen sensors and probably a new converter as well if the head gasket isn't checked/replaced.
I've never seen any white smoke or steam coming out of my exhaust so I'm hoping its not a head gasket issue. COOP

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Overheating is sadly normal on these cars, even with coolant topped off. Not sure EXACT overheating temp, I think it's 245 degrees, but I hit 242 yesterday when it was 98 degrees out. Mainly normal after work stop and go for about 15 minutes, get off the freeway out of that traffic, throw in a hill and bam, VERY close to hitting 245, even with a few cooling tweaks, I was one bar from the very top, one past the max normal line on the idiot gauge... Other guys in my area DID actually overheat, it just happens when you have a 1 row radiator with only 6.5 quart total coolant capacity... Not sure why Ford thinks thinks this is OK, it's just not, the ST needs a 2 row from the factory and not have to find the Euro ST180 2 row for nearly $300 on eBay and modify it to make it fit or pay $500+ for an exact fit 3 row aftermarket, just crazy!

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
One of my engine mods planned for this car was a aftermarket radiator since it's a weak spot in this car and I planned on a Montune radiator in the future. But this is a coolant leak so I'm going to look for it this weekend and I really don't want to take it to the dealer and have to take off a few mods, AP and intake. COOP

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Overheating is sadly normal on these cars, even with coolant topped off. Not sure EXACT overheating temp, I think it's 245 degrees, but I hit 242 yesterday when it was 98 degrees out. Mainly normal after work stop and go for about 15 minutes, get off the freeway out of that traffic, throw in a hill and bam, VERY close to hitting 245, even with a few cooling tweaks, I was one bar from the very top, one past the max normal line on the idiot gauge... Other guys in my area DID actually overheat, it just happens when you have a 1 row radiator with only 6.5 quart total coolant capacity... Not sure why Ford thinks thinks this is OK, it's just not, the ST needs a 2 row from the factory and not have to find the Euro ST180 2 row for nearly $300 on eBay and modify it to make it fit or pay $500+ for an exact fit 3 row aftermarket, just crazy!
I share the sentiment. Ford is pitching (well, was) the FiSTs as almost track cars, and they start limping in hot weather if you drive them hard enough on the street.

In my case, rather than keep being aggravated, I bought Mishimoto's radiator/fan and oil cooler on a pre-sale (ONLY $450 for the radiator...). Never overheated again, even in HPDE events in Houston summer.

It was 88 degrees yesterday and I peaked at 221 coolant temp. That's the highest I've seen it so far but from what I've read, having it run hot but not overheating, is good for burning off carbon buildup and cleaning the engine. Just think of it as an engine detox.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It was 88 degrees yesterday and I peaked at 221 coolant temp. That's the highest I've seen it so far but from what I've read, having it run hot but not overheating, is good for burning off carbon buildup and cleaning the engine. Just think of it as an engine detox.
This is true, absolutely! I DO run a huge oil filter that does help surprisingly well as a 2nd mini oil cooler, but to just drive 15 minutes in stop and go, then exit to a small hilly area and nearly overheat is just not acceptable for any car, period. I wasn't driving the car hard at all, I just hate how I have to feel frustrated in traffic to try to keep moving just to keep air flow up to avoid overheating. They could at least offer the newer 180 degree thermostat installed for free for those of us not part of the actual recall to help get that coolant flowing sooner, but that too can lead to running cooler than ideal most of the time for keeping the engine clean as well. The real solution would have been to simply have used the same 2 row ST180 radiator most of the world got, but instead we get the crappy 1-row, crappy reflector headlights with no option for better, but yep of course there is a $2000 high profit Recaro package as an option... Not saying that the Recaro option is bad, at all, just saying they pinched pennies in an insulting way toward the North American market, it's just sad...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Literally the only place to find a 2-row radiator is $285 from China on eBay, this is ridiculous... I'll have to do some more searching for threads and web sites to find better...

XanRules

I overheated about two days ago with the A/C blasting in stop and go traffic. Check your coolant levels. I had never given it any thought as I had never touched/moved the tank, but my coolant was almost 1" below the "MIN" line on a cold engine. I would not be surprised to learn that similar to the transmission oil, Ford underfills the coolant from the factory (though currently my sample size is 1 car)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I overheated about two days ago with the A/C blasting in stop and go traffic. Check your coolant levels. I had never given it any thought as I had never touched/moved the tank, but my coolant was almost 1" below the "MIN" line on a cold engine. I would not be surprised to learn that similar to the transmission oil, Ford underfills the coolant from the factory (though currently my sample size is 1 car)
Oh, I check mine constantly, burp it constantly, added a half bottle of water wetter... but didn't know yours was low when you overheated. I might also have an AC issue, mine seems to make a whirring noise like an alternator going out most of the time...

XanRules

Keep an eye on your coolant with the Water Wetter, I have read that it can gum up OAT-based coolants like ours and leave sludgy deposits.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Keep an eye on your coolant with the Water Wetter, I have read that it can gum up OAT-based coolants like ours and leave sludgy deposits.
I hear the biggest problem is that people don't read the bottle and use a whole bottle instead of a half for our low capacity cooling systems, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that and prob do a flush next spring at the 2 year mark from new regardless...