Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1000 miles past warranty and overheats? WTH?

This is true, absolutely! I DO run a huge oil filter that does help surprisingly well as a 2nd mini oil cooler, but to just drive 15 minutes in stop and go, then exit to a small hilly area and nearly overheat is just not acceptable for any car, period. I wasn't driving the car hard at all, I just hate how I have to feel frustrated in traffic to try to keep moving just to keep air flow up to avoid overheating. They could at least offer the newer 180 degree thermostat installed for free for those of us not part of the actual recall to help get that coolant flowing sooner, but that too can lead to running cooler than ideal most of the time for keeping the engine clean as well. The real solution would have been to simply have used the same 2 row ST180 radiator most of the world got, but instead we get the crappy 1-row, crappy reflector headlights with no option for better, but yep of course there is a $2000 high profit Recaro package as an option... Not saying that the Recaro option is bad, at all, just saying they pinched pennies in an insulting way toward the North American market, it's just sad...
What oil filter do you run? Mine is a 2015 and yesterday I was stuck in traffic and peaked at 221. I've never overheated but I live in Canada so it doesn't get really hot so I'm lucky that way. I might get the ebay radiator. From the pictures I"m pretty sure the one on ebay is the exact same as the one pumaspeed sells.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What oil filter do you run? Mine is a 2015 and yesterday I was stuck in traffic and peaked at 221. I've never overheated but I live in Canada so it doesn't get really hot so I'm lucky that way. I might get the ebay radiator. From the pictures I"m pretty sure the one on ebay is the exact same as the one pumaspeed sells.
I am running the NAPA Platinum 41516, which is a rebranded Wix XP 51516.... but I hear that the Napa Gold 1516/Wix non XP 51516 is better for us to run as it filters down better for our shorter oil change intervals, the Plat/XP don't filter down as well until it has 12k km on it, as it's a 20k km+ filter.

And yes, it absolutely does look exactly the same, 40mm core 2 row.... likely a very good radiator! And yeah, you're in Vancouver man, we're fellow Cascadia members! And yeah, doubt you guys hit 36c like we did down here! LOL :)
1560476726718.png

I learned recently from another thread here that the radiator fan only kicks past 30% at somewhere around 225+ which seems bonkers to me. Doesn't solve the issue of missing coolant but i feel like thats a partial cause for overheating when driving it hard.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I learned recently from another thread here that the radiator fan only kicks past 30% at somewhere around 225+ which seems bonkers to me. Doesn't solve the issue of missing coolant but i feel like thats a partial cause for overheating when driving it hard.
I really don't believe that's the case, at least not on the newer models, my fan truly seems to scream just as much at 210 as 240 and is totally adjustable in a tune as well. But Jason @Dizzy Tuning said he uses OEM speed profile as it's quite effective.

I really don't believe that's the case, at least not on the newer models, my fan truly seems to scream just as much at 210 as 240 and is totally adjustable in a tune as well. But Jason @Dizzy Tuning said he uses OEM speed profile as it's quite effective.
Yea i knew it was adjustable in the tune, I never looked into it too much but I was a little skeptical but it had support. Not saying its true, kinda hoping its not lol

Update on one of the FiSTs, turns out one has a head gasket failure. Didn't get approval from the warranty company or customer to begin tear down yet though. Didn't ask what year either, seems out of place since these cars are pretty reliable, although there was a recall a few years back for potential gasket/block/head failure, don't remember the recall number though.

Drove my '18 in 100*+ AZ heat home from work and it never reached over 90*c/190*f according to the diagnostic menu. Pretty good for a small radiator with a condenser and intercooler in front of it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Update on one of the FiSTs, turns out one has a head gasket failure. Didn't get approval from the warranty company or customer to begin tear down yet though. Didn't ask what year either, seems out of place since these cars are pretty reliable, although there was a recall a few years back for potential gasket/block/head failure, don't remember the recall number though.

Drove my '18 in 100*+ AZ heat home from work and it never reached over 90*c/190*f according to the diagnostic menu. Pretty good for a small radiator with a condenser and intercooler in front of it.
So at that ambient temperature I'm sure you had the AC on and it never got over 190? Holy shit... I'm at the dealer with the service dept open until midnight right now, it was only upper 90's and I was stuck in stop and go for only 15 minutes at the most and I hit 242, geezus... I hit 208 just getting on it a bit totally moving today in 74 degree weather and this is a '17 with 23.5k, they HAD to have changed something for 2018+, I'll have to ask the service guys if they know anything... Do you typically hang around 180 by chance? It could simply be they are using the 180 thermostat instead of 194 for '18-'19.

This is true, absolutely! I DO run a huge oil filter that does help surprisingly well as a 2nd mini oil cooler, but to just drive 15 minutes in stop and go, then exit to a small hilly area and nearly overheat is just not acceptable for any car, period. I wasn't driving the car hard at all, I just hate how I have to feel frustrated in traffic to try to keep moving just to keep air flow up to avoid overheating. They could at least offer the newer 180 degree thermostat installed for free for those of us not part of the actual recall to help get that coolant flowing sooner, but that too can lead to running cooler than ideal most of the time for keeping the engine clean as well. The real solution would have been to simply have used the same 2 row ST180 radiator most of the world got, but instead we get the crappy 1-row, crappy reflector headlights with no option for better, but yep of course there is a $2000 high profit Recaro package as an option... Not saying that the Recaro option is bad, at all, just saying they pinched pennies in an insulting way toward the North American market, it's just sad...
Hi, I am based in the UK and was not aware of the differences in the supplied Radiators in different markets, we also have Recall in the UK for overheating, can you point me in the direction of where you found out that the Euro/UK spec vehicles had 2 Row Radiators fitted, Thanks Jason.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hi, I am based in the UK and was not aware of the differences in the supplied Radiators in different markets, we also have Recall in the UK for overheating, can you point me in the direction of where you found out that the Euro/UK spec vehicles had 2 Row Radiators fitted, Thanks Jason.
Actually I have since determined it was simply one that PumaSpeed offers that is single pass but 2 row 40mm... it's also available unbranded from China cheaper but appears to be identical including very decent quality. If I decide to keep this car long term, which I very well might, then I'm going to invest in one. But still, I'm very frustrated they can't at least offer the 180f/82c thermostat that appears to maybe be standard on '18-'19 (mk7) that we have over here. The early ones affected by the recall get it, but for those of us with late '15-'17, we are kind of stuck in the middle.

Last edited:
Actually I have since determined it was simply one that PumaSpeed offers that is single pass but 2 row 40mm... it's also available unbranded from China cheaper but appears to be identical including very decent quality. If I decide to keep this car long term, which I very well might, then I'm going to invest in one. But still, I'm very frustrated they can't at least offer the 180 thermostat that appears to maybe be standard on '18-'19 (mk7) that we have over here. The early ones affected by the recall get it, but for those of us with late '15-'17, we are kind of stuck in the middle.
Looks very much like the Direnza one https://www.direnza.co.uk/ford-fiesta-mk7-st180-1-6-ecoboost-radiator is it the same as the Pumaspeed version just re branded?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Last edited:
I have never seen my coolant temp go above 220 that’s running it hard 4-6k rpms for 40-45 minutes straight in 75-80 degree weather. I honestly did not know this was an issue. I knew about all the coolant line recalls from earlier years. If it gets real hot this summer (it’s SoCal it will) I’ll use my AP more to monitor it.

Good luck on the solution. At 40k miles it’s unlikely but it could just be a radiator leak. Not like that’s a cheap fix but a lot cheaper than head gasket. No white smoke and no weird smells so it doesn’t sound like the HG

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Well, said screw it and decided to take care of it myself... found an awesome deal on the Gates complete housing with integrated 180 thermostat for $30 shipped on RockAuto, was well over $50 everywhere else, sorry, I got the last one for now... It's Gates # 34844 and is metal, compared to plastic ones out there that are the cheapie cross referenced ones (BM5Z8592C) that are plastic

Attachments

So at that ambient temperature I'm sure you had the AC on and it never got over 190? Holy shit... I'm at the dealer with the service dept open until midnight right now, it was only upper 90's and I was stuck in stop and go for only 15 minutes at the most and I hit 242, geezus... I hit 208 just getting on it a bit totally moving today in 74 degree weather and this is a '17 with 23.5k, they HAD to have changed something for 2018+, I'll have to ask the service guys if they know anything... Do you typically hang around 180 by chance? It could simply be they are using the 180 thermostat instead of 194 for '18-'19.
Couldn't speak of regularly, just got curious after seeing what temp other people were running at. Granted I'm not in stop and go and I only have an 8 mile commute. I'll give it a go again and see what says after romping on it, 190 is generally really cold for a newer car though. Most newer cars are running 200-220. 230 and up is waaayyy too hot though. I think my car came from the east coast from a fellow service member so that should rule out any unknown hot weather upgrades too. Edit: drove it a bit yesterday, highest it got was 92*C on a 3rd gear pull.

Can't speak of any year to year differences. If your dealer does bring it in, you could see if they can call the tech hotline and get directed to an engineer and see if any changes were made - parts do get superseded too.

Last edited: