Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1300 miles = engine light?

Posted this on http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta...ine-light.html
Figured I'd post it here as well.

So there I was, driving and bam! The check engine light comes on. First thought: probably just a sensor (keeping my cool). Second thought: what if its something bigger than a sensor? Third thought: How? its only 1300 miles (lost my cool)!? Fourth thought: Knew I should've waited another year! Fifth thought: I have a warranty. That's the beauty to a new car (coming back). Sixth thought: now I gotta go to the dealer.

So I run the health report thingy to see what it does and if i t can give me anymore info. Do it, go online to check it where its telling me that the check engine light may be on (...really...didn't know that) and that my brakes or braking system to quote sync needed to be serviced. Jump to today where the first thing on my to do list after work is a visit to the dealership. And of course, getting into my car to leave from work, the light is gone. No surprise there, that's how it usually works with me and I have to make several trips to get a problem figured out. And, while I'm there I wanted to get two other "issues" resolved.

The first is where the little black box (what I assume is the Sirius antenna?) likes to sometimes not stick to the windshield and go for a dangle (pic). Usually on warmer days where my car has been in the sun for a couple hours. Glue just didn't properly set I guess. And the second was to get the front plate bracket off because they used some sort of bolt witchcraft to attack it with bolts that don't have a head as I call it. No simply unscrewing it off. I realize its not a big job to remove it, but I'm lazy and figure while they're at it...

Back to the light and brakes, the tech checked the history and found that the knock sensor was triggered. His first question was what gas do I use (Chevron). I had an issue with my mustang where it backfired on gas that wasn't. So I'm forever loyal to Chevron for their awesome gas. One of the brands they recommend. He then asked about what octane. I've just been using regular as that's what the manual instructs unless you want the best performance with premium. So he cleared it and we both came to the consensus of running premium or the blend and see if it comes back on. And if it did, then it would be time to be worried. And as far as the brakes, no clue. He gave it a quick once over as did I and they look good. Again, if anything happens, bring it back.

Wanted to share my story and will post updates should anything else occur. Anyone else had this (any of this) happen? You're not alone lol

UPDATE:
I know its been a couple weeks. Things can crazy. But, during that time, the engine light kept going on for a day or two and then back off. And my *compass* got worse where it always fell off. I was able to part with my car for the day yesterday and got the issues resolved. What kept tripping the light was a bad connector to the knock sensor so that's why it kept going off thinking there was a lot of knocking going on in the cylinders. And my compass seems to be fixed now, hasn't fall off yet. Interesting thing I noticed though; first time I went to my dealer, they had two FiST's on the lot and both of the the compass modules were dangling. I guess the adhesive doesn't do well in the heat/sun for a while.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
When you ran the Vehicle Health Report did you release the parking brake? If you leave it on it will ask you to check your brakes.

That explains my brake error that popped up on my health report.. took it to the dealer and they found nothing.

UPDATE:
I know its been a couple weeks. Things can crazy. But, during that time, the engine light kept going on for a day or two and then back off. And my *compass* got worse where it always fell off. I was able to part with my car for the day yesterday and got the issues resolved. What kept tripping the light was a bad connector to the knock sensor so that's why it kept going off thinking there was a lot of knocking going on in the cylinders. And my compass seems to be fixed now, hasn't fall off yet. Interesting thing I noticed though; first time I went to my dealer, they had two FiST's on the lot and both of the the compass modules were dangling. I guess the adhesive doesn't do well in the heat/sun for a while.
Thanks for posting here, and the update, as well! :) Glad to hear everything' worked out.

Meagan

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Why in the hell are you running regular? FIST is a performance hatch not a reg fiesta.

OP
Connor
Thread Starter #7
Why in the hell are you running regular? FIST is a performance hatch not a reg fiesta.
SUPER late reply, my bad. got busy with everything. But I was running regular during the break in because I wasn't going over 3500 rpms so I didn't see the point in spending the "extra" cash for premium during that time. Which can be a considerable difference here in California. And, the manual says to run regular. I know with the advances in today's engines you can. Not like the ones from the early 2000's where if it said premium, You ran premium.

MOFiST

There's no way I'd run regular gas in this car. That said I'm told it should be fine to do so. It's really a false economy though as fuel usage with regular will go up as the fuel burns quicker. Also if you need to put your foot down for safeties sake the power won't be there.