Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

14’ Tuxedo Black | TURDBO BUILD

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #21
Most grades of stainless bolts sold are NOT magnetic at all, especially not the 18/8 grade sold at most hardware/warehouse stores.
Are you sure it was a stainless bolt (actually a non-stainless grade 10.8 would be a better grade for use in that app anyway, with a higher yield strength, and not as 'brittle' as any stainless grade, albeit yes, much more prone to corrosion in a winter 'salt soup' condition area)?
I don’t have a receipt or a bag from it left anymore to tell for sure, but I can guarantee it was like a 5$ bolt and SS for sure, and certainly magnetic because that’s how I fed it. If totally necessary for anyone who needs more info I’ll get part numbers from homedepot next time there.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks man! And it’s a piece of cake, just be patient mostly with drilling the hole. It’s some hard stuff.
Yeah understood, I know the crash bar is made from some hardened steel. I think I will drill a hole above as well to make dropping the bolt in and using a socket + extension easier.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #25
Yeah understood, I know the crash bar is made from some hardened steel. I think I will drill a hole above as well to make dropping the bolt in and using a socket + extension easier.
I also considered this! But, I stayed away from it because it creates a place for the crash bar to “fold” on its self. Just makes it unnecessarily weaker only to make the install easier. Once it’s on it’s on ya know. Keep her strong as possible, that was my logic anyways.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I also considered this! But, I stayed away from it because it creates a place for the crash bar to “fold” on its self. Just makes it unnecessarily weaker only to make the install easier. Once it’s on it’s on ya know. Keep her strong as possible, that was my logic anyways.
Good thought, I'll have to think about it some more. Just about to order a yellow unit: https://store.windingroad.com/sabelt-tow-straps-various-colors?quantity=1&color=YELLOW

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #28

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
[twothumb][twothumb]
Beautiful! And that’s a nice one, higher rating than mine. That one you’re ordering has like a 3ton capacity. I just had to have a sparco one to reminisce past times :)
Sabelt stuff is top shelf. [thumb]

The only reason I would stick with the Sparco branded one is because they are the safety equipment supplier to the Ford M-Sport World Rally Team. [wink] [rolleyes] LOL

Last edited:
OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #31
Just ran compression test on all 4 - 97k mi:

Cylinder 1: 178
Cylinder 2: 176
Cylinder 3: 177
Cylinder 4: 178

Praise the Lord!

I’ve been meaning to buy a leak down tester too, but am tight. Thanks COVID.

Anyone feel a leak down is necessary if compression results are satisfactory? Just want solid baseline info before turbo goes on.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
NICE! [thumb]
It burbles and 'low pops' on closed throttle back downs even more than my CP-E! (I'm also on everything else factory, and no tune). [cool]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #34
NICE! [thumb]
It burbles and 'low pops' on closed throttle back downs even more than my CP-E! (I'm also on everything else factory, and no tune). [cool]
i respect the mighty little tone of these small but furious motors. You going to pick up an AP for tune or are you happy as is?

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #35
790A969D-09FF-4BF0-BFD1-F46A30E87920.jpeg
Tapping generic 20$ catch can for Damond VTA setup for high boost application

Also running their in-line check valve for my 5/8” setup between OCC and Intake.

Matt over at Damond was incredibly helpful in sorting this out. Looks like solid stuff too. I’ll shoot a finished mounted pic as well once all setup. Currently painting the filter :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You going to pick up an AP for tune or are you happy as is?
I've had a new, unmarried AP sitting in my closet since two months BEFORE I took (new) delivery of this little monster in October of 2016.

I am NOT totally dissatisfied with the factory power/torque level, as are most others on here.

As never having owned a boosted FWD car before this one, I always had the mindset that too much power going through the front wheels, especially without a limited slip already installed, is a waste, since just smoking the front tires, with lots of torque steer, seems 'jive' to me.
(And yeah, I know turbo choice, and precise tuning for when and where the power comes in can negate some of that, but still.)

But yes, I would enjoy a nice (even in person there/on their dyno/roads despite no turbo upgrade) Dizzy Tune as much as the next FiST owner, but I have neither the coin, facilities, OR ability to install, etc. a junkyard Escape engine, (if there were a failure and Ford denied the warranty due to detecting a tune with their scan tool 'counter' technology), let alone a fully built with big turbo, $12K+ before installation Mountune one, as some on here have done.

So, I am waiting until the factory power train warranty is done before I even think about a tune. [wink]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #37
I've had a new, unmarried AP sitting in my closet since two months BEFORE I took (new) delivery of this little monster in October of 2016.

I am NOT totally dissatisfied with the factory power/torque level, as are most others on here.

As never having owned a boosted FWD car before this one, I always had the mindset that too much power going through the front wheels, especially without a limited slip already installed, is a waste, since just smoking the front tires, with lots of torque steer, seems 'jive' to me.
(And yeah, I know turbo choice, and precise tuning for when and where the power comes in can negate some of that, but still.)

But yes, I would enjoy a nice (even in person there/on their dyno/roads despite no turbo upgrade) Dizzy Tune as much as the next FiST owner, but I have neither the coin, facilities, OR ability to install, etc. a junkyard Escape engine, (if there were a failure and Ford denied the warranty due to detecting a tune with their scan tool 'counter' technology), let alone a fully built with big turbo, $12K+ before installation Mountune one, as some on here have done.

So, I am waiting until the factory power train warranty is done before I even think about a tune. [wink]
I think that’s very responsible and quite admirable of you. Much self control. Just wow man, just wow! Props. I hope you stay satisfied for a long time then, because yeah it really does start to add up quickly $$. little here big there little here... then broke lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's NOT to say that I do not admire those who do choose to mod extensively, and totally 'push the envelope' of this platform's potential, because I DO admire them MUCH!! [twothumb]

It's just not for me at this time. [:(]

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #39
9111E250-C19E-4EF2-B0AB-03AD2FC1F240.jpeg 35F9B8AB-B466-4DD4-9468-1CD8F5A3C1E0.jpeg

Here are finished install pics of custom catch can setup... eBay + Damond VTA and 5/8 check valve. Some hoses and clamps.... I’m pretty satisfied with how it all came together.

if I was to do it all over I probably would have just bought straight from Damond whole entire VTA can OCC setup. This DID save me about 70$ as my finish cost was about 120$... so that’s nice! But, the headAche and emailing and questions and calls and searching.... yeah that was annoying. Have people do the R&D and just buy a solid product I would say

if you’re interested in saving money and completing something custom yourself, it certainly can be done.

antarctica24

Im thinking the concept of a weaker crash bar is probably the least of your concerns.