Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15x9, 12 lbs, roll formed, $129 each, why I was the first to switch to 4x100(15x7 11lb available;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just ordered 6 of these for my new track wheels:)

15x9, +35mm, 4x100, between 12-13lbs(will know for sure when they arrive, I expect 12.5lbs or so)

Konig Helix, roll formed means the same as flow formed which means super strong and low weight, no reason to spend $500 each on forged wheels unless you just want to have them and or not willing to spend a few hundred on a 4x100 conversion

NOTE: these only fit the rear of the ST with serious other mods required, more camber and pulled and rolled fenders, pulling and rolling required up front as well.

Goodwinracing.com
-------------------

These are made in 15x8 +25mm which is not optimal for our cars or I would get a set for my street tires.

They are made in 15x7, +35mm, around 11 lbs, $119 each and should be a great match for those wanting that size.

-------------------

Compared to a $2k+ plus set of forged wheels you can get 4 of these very high quality wheels for in the $500 range, spend a few hundred on 4x100 conversion and save a butt load of money:)

I could run the 15x7 for the street if I switch from my custom 11.75" GT rotor BBK to 11" rotors, I am considering it.

-------------------

Just taking a break, back to work so I can finish up this big headache remodel project and get home and tear my car apart getting ready for the EFR turbo, BIG IC, and other pending mods:)

Good day:)
Rick

Fthpppppppptttt....i just spat my beer all over my bartender....seriously those are gorgeous! F..k i wish i wasnt a pussy and had my business redrilled. Too much work though and we need to force manufacturers to drill 4x108 as a principle. I feel we with funny bolt patterns are discriminated against by the industry ��

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Thanks guys, much appreciated:)

I originally wanted the Avanti Storms (made my Konig) but they would not fit over my BBK setup I was working on, 12.2lbs, $141 each.

The Konig Dial In was the only one that appeared it would work so I had to go with them, 12.8lbs, love the color on my silver car but not my favorite style though quite nice.

They just had to come out with a newer design, it should be stronger than both of the others which are quite strong, and could even be under 12lbs so I had to have them!

Now anxiously waiting for the ship to arrive and the dealer to get them in stock and ship to me.....

------------------------------------------------

If we had enough that wanted these wheels I could probably have a batch made in 4x108 and perhaps the 15x8 +35 or whatever is the absolute best offset but it would probably require 100 sets and take months to get them and would be a group buy effort.

They would fit an 11" 6 piston BBK as well and possibly the DIY custom 11.75" GT rotor setup I have, which I could have made for those wanting them.

----------------------------------

Unfortunately reality steps in and says it is highly unlikely anybody will produce such a great wheel in 4x108 as the market is so small for that bolt pattern.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Dang,
I just found out yesterday due to the port strike I will not get my new wheels on time for a track event the end of the month I am going to have to scramble to make as waiting for the IC, bumper, tubular turbo manifold and DP for the EFR and while have to fab some parts when they get here, tune it, etc...........

I had to buy a set of the same wheels I just sold but they gave me a break on them and the set I sold I had a couple of dozen local calls on so I will be able to sell them again for not much loss when the new ones arrive. Also the data was wrong and the new ones might not fit anyway so I am making up a template for them to test it on when they get the new wheels in stock.

I want those Helix wheels but the Dial In wheels are still great if I end up having to run them after all, still a very strong, well made, well finished, low weight, low cost, roll formed wheels so not a huge deal but you know how it is, just got to have somethings you really want if at all possible.....

Dang,
I just found out yesterday due to the port strike I will not get my new wheels on time for a track event the end of the month
My wheels I ordered early December were supposed to be here in February but delayed a few weeks because of the port union and still not here.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Sucks even worse than my situation as for the delay.

I paid $12 to have the race tires removed and now have to pay to have them put back on and balanced, sold the wheels for $399 shipped and paid $48 to ship them, now paying for a new set and shipping, got a bit off the set to help but that will just pay shipping to me.....

When I ordered them they expected them to easily make it on time, oh well, not the end of the world, just a bit of money for nothing....and time, 25 miles each way to the tire shop.

PCA-1

My apologies to Rick for the trolling here.

Thought to pass this along as there are some variances in the marketplace. For members who read "roll forming" and automatically think "forged like wheels", here is some pertinent information.

Roll forming reduces weight by pressing out the barrel. The barrel therefore is thinner. Roll forming has nothing to do with the face of the wheel which is the main structural part of the wheel.

The rear of any wheel barrel has no structural support and is therefore an inherent weak spot. Most bends occur on the inside rim because of this. With roll forming, it is, IMO, very important to go with a solid name brand, which should include better engineering for the inner rim.

There are gravity cast, roll formed wheels out there. This would be the cheapest way to manufacture a roll formed wheel. In the case of a wheel manufactured this way, the face of the wheel is still gravity cast, the weakest form of wheel casting. IMO these wheels are not suitable for racing as the designs I am seeing are have very slim gravity cast spokes which is the weakest of all possibilities. This is done to be able to offer the lightest wheel possible to compete in the marketplace. Low pressure castings are the minimal casting type I would consider, others may feel differently.

The Konig's in this thread are low pressure cast, roll formed, and Konig has been a widely used brand for years.

Not looking to start an in-depth discussion. Merely disseminating information for a better understanding. Hopefully this sparks interest into looking further into wheel choices.

Note: Not all wheels are deigned with racing in mind. Racing produces different forces on a wheel in a continual cycle for the duration of a race or intermittent auto cross runs. There should be no expectation of wheel failure in general, however over time all wheels fatigue and racing assists in making this happen at a faster rate.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Great info, you are most correct and much appreciated in posting it:)

I would use a quality wheel no matter the weight over some that I see on the track and seen pictures or in person of cracked or worse broken wheels.

Before roll forming started being used more on good brand lower cost wheels there were not many choices for real race grade wheels, that is why TD has been used in racing for so many years by so many teams, very strong and reliable and reasonably priced. Perhaps they are considering going this route now, I would love to see it:)

On a street driven car with the road conditions some live with daily the TD may one of the best choices of all others.

-----------

I have seen some very costly forged wheels crack or break as well but pretty rare, sometimes they might be to stiff to give a little on certain type impacts it would seem but then again I was not there to witness the event so there may of been no wheels made that would of survived the impact.

----------

Thanks again:)
Rick