Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

16” tire sizes

I am shocked that those do not rub everywhere, ALL of the time, no matter how much cutting, pulling, etc., is done.

They are almost 25" tall, and have a 9.2" section width, albeit only a 7.7" actual tread width, but on 40 ET wheels!!
You can kinda see the support I cut out. When the fender lip was stock and that bracket piece was there yes they always rubbed. But now the thing is that flat piece under the headlight contacts sometimes. It's really not bad, not perfect, some may say not ideal, but it's fine for me. I wanted fat inexpensive tires.

Other pic inside passenger fender, forgot to get before shot.

Attachments

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I trimmed mine that why as well it helped a lot on rubbing. I just broke out my dremel tool and just did a quick little grinding as its plastic took about 5 minutes a side.

AzNightmare

Be mindful of the actual tread width. Some 205 tires actually have a wider contact patch than another brand's 215.
You should use Tirerack to research and compare tires, because they use a consistent method to measure all their tires so you'll get accurate reference points from tire to tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=201

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Be mindful of the actual tread width. Some 205 tires actually have a wider contact patch than another brand's 215.
You should use Tirerack to research and compare tires, because they use a consistent method to measure all their tires so you'll get accurate reference points from tire to tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=201
I suspect that this is the case with the 205/50-16 Neo Gens, both in tread width AND section width, and why they rub in some cases even on the factory suspension (besides being about a half inch taller than any of the 215/45s). [:(]

IF someone/ANYONE made a UHP all season in a 215/45-16 they would be on my Dekagrams right now!

Likewise, if I had a set of 16" wheels which would be warm weather use ONLY, one of the 215/45-16, 200 tread wear gumballs would be on them (most likely the very wide tread width, Nankang NS-2Rs), if I was worried about rubbing at any ride height. [wink]

Even though they look way too 'lost' in the wheels wells, especially at factory ride height (not to mention the rougher ride), I may have to go to the 205/45-16s in one of the UHP all season choices, since the 205/50s I am using as daily driver tires on 16x8 Dekagrams do rub in some situations, even at factory ride height.

JSWhaler; Which width/offset do you plan on using?
This, being in Maryland where weather is super biopolar, I really want a good UHP All Season for 15" or 16" wheels. That's the only reason why I haven't bought smaller wheels yet.

ronmcdon

I have 16x8 +38 rpf1's (from Oakos) with 225/45/16 and I think used to run 205/50/16 Dunlop Z3. Would recommend 225s only for hpde and autoX maybe as the 205s lot cheaper.

Also have my fender rolled and slightly pulled, cost around 160 (why some are squeamish about this have no idea), meister r coilover, max ride height on 200mm swift 8/6 springs. I get zero rub and am happy with setup.

I actually got slight rubbing on stock suspension and wheels with faster corners with shaper decline.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also have my fender rolled and slightly pulled, cost around 160 (why some are squeamish about this have no idea), meister r coilover, max ride height on 200mm swift 8/6 springs. I get zero rub and am happy with setup.
IF I could have a 'pro' do this, for that price, I would not be squeamish at all, and it would already be done!

I just know that if I ever attempted this, I would have fully rusted out fenders in less than a year, from the paint destruction alone. [:(]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I pulled the trigger on Friday (and they weren't)... not that I'm sad, landed 215 RT660's... but I would have given the RS4s serious consideration.
you won’t be sorry about the RT660’s they are sticky as all get out. They will put the RS4’s to shame . I am real close to dusting off my Feddys on my Dekagrams and they will be replaced with a set 214/45 16 RT660’s! Just after my LSD goes in.

IF I could have a 'pro' do this, for that price, I would not be squeamish at all, and it would already be done!

I just know that if I ever attempted this, I would have fully rusted out fenders in less than a year, from the paint destruction alone. [:(]
I’ve never had it done, but can’t a pro do it without destroying the paint, even on the inside of the wheel well?

kevinatfms

Just an update on 16" sizes. Bridgestone is bringing out the RE71RS in 215/45R16 and from what Tire Rack tested its faster than the RE71R but with a little less feedback at the limit.

So stickier but a bit more vague at the limit. Could be a VERY good tire for the Fiesta ST on a 16x7, 16x7.5 and 16x8 wheel size and keeps the gearing close to stock levels.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The Rs tended to run a bit narrow in tread width for any given size, I wonder if that will change on these RSes? [dunno]

In any case that IS great news for autocrossers/open trackers, and even those who want to use them for a limited season timeframe on the street. [twothumb]

Business6

Just an update on 16" sizes. Bridgestone is bringing out the RE71RS in 215/45R16 and from what Tire Rack tested its faster than the RE71R but with a little less feedback at the limit.

So stickier but a bit more vague at the limit. Could be a VERY good tire for the Fiesta ST on a 16x7, 16x7.5 and 16x8 wheel size and keeps the gearing close to stock levels.
Holy shit those are expensive even relative to other extreme performance tires: $225 in that size