Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2,500 miles....Blown OEM struts!!!

At the dealer now waiting for them to install the new strut. I'm pretty sure they just forgot to order it, I say this because after my stop last weekend it arrived on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to follow up on my issue, I finally got a chance to bring the car to my local dealer for them to assess the shocks. The service representative assured me that there is nothing wrong with the shocks and they are not leaking. He tried to convince me that any vibration that I feel is due to user error because my car has a 'high performance stick'.

Have others here had success with getting the dealer to address this issue. It is very clear to me that I have a problem, the shocks are clearly leaking oil and the wheel bounces all over the place. Is this just a case of a dealer trying to avoid warranty work?

Just to follow up on my issue, I finally got a chance to bring the car to my local dealer for them to assess the shocks. The service representative assured me that there is nothing wrong with the shocks and they are not leaking. He tried to convince me that any vibration that I feel is due to user error because my car has a 'high performance stick'.

Have others here had success with getting the dealer to address this issue. It is very clear to me that I have a problem, the shocks are clearly leaking oil and the wheel bounces all over the place. Is this just a case of a dealer trying to avoid warranty work?
Are great excuse to buy coilovers.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #46

WOW LMAO 'high performance stick' causing vibrations. Now i've heard it all! And yea, buy coils. I'm not happy with the Koni/Eibach setup. Softens the car too much. Even with the bracing i've got there's too much float in the car now. Forcing myself to live with it for a year as punishment before i yank it for coils lol

Thanks Guys, coilovers sound like a good idea, and I think there are some good options out there. I would like to have a good set of coilovers on Ford's dime, I'm just pissed that I could buy a brand new car and in less than 6 months have a major mechanical failure and then on top of that get blown off by the dealer.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #48
I hear you. I'm not happy with how the car feels with my current setup due to this premature failure and i haven't even hit 5k miles yet. We shouldn't have to go through this with a brand new car. But the platform is solid so i stay optimistic, u know. Be sure to follow the MeisterR thread. Sounds like a promising option so far.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #49
Sooo, I like said earlier, my Koni/Eibach setup is used. Lately the strut mounts have begun to pop, ping and what not so i ordered strut mounts on 4/25 along with spring isolators, bolts, etc...Would you believe the strut mounts are back ordered until...wait for it....July fuckin 12th. The dealer couldn't find them ANYWHERE the two times i've nagged them. Unreal. I'm only guessing here but it looks like the strut failures we've experienced might be a real problem nationwide for them to run out of strut mounts! I told him to credit the mounts and ship me the rest. To Rock Auto i go. We'll see how that goes...

I wonder if the dealer gave you shit bigbro because they just can't get the strut mounts..or maybe even the struts too. Someone posted here a while back that the struts were also on mega back order. If ownership of this car doesn't get better fast this will be my first and last ford. To think i left the German cars behind thinking american cars would be easier to source parts for and more reliable. oh the irony lol

Thanks Guys, coilovers sound like a good idea, and I think there are some good options out there. I would like to have a good set of coilovers on Ford's dime, I'm just pissed that I could buy a brand new car and in less than 6 months have a major mechanical failure and then on top of that get blown off by the dealer.
Just curious have you tried a different dealer?

My right front is leaking like crazy and ending up all over my bright green wheel. Took it in they said yup it's leaking and ordered a strut. Still waiting for it to get in but am confident it'll get resolved.

I haven't tried another dealer, I might have to do that. I contacted Corporate Ford Service via twitter and facebook and they have set me up with a Regional Service Manger to look into this, so hopefully that results in something better.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #52
Received an email this morning from Rock Auto that the strut mounts are out of stock with no ETA. They have an alternate part number so i re-ordered with that one. We'll see what happens. According to Rock Auto, this alternate part # is shared with the C-Max. A quick google of C-max suspension problems (which, btw, google auto-filled) turned up a bunch of complaints about the top mounts creaking (mine are now). I'm really starting to believe this Ford suspension issue is wider spread than the reported incidents in this thread would suggest.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #54
RockAuto mounts shipped! I'll report back. I kept the oem suspension so I'll be able to compare them to the oem units.

Maybe that's why someone found cardboard in their top mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was me, but it was on my FoST. IMO the FiST front suspension components and assembly is a way better design than the FoST. And to prevent noise from the upper mounts, just apply some synth grease to where the mount, bearing, and dust boot make contact.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Received an email this morning from Rock Auto that the strut mounts are out of stock with no ETA. They have an alternate part number so i re-ordered with that one. We'll see what happens. According to Rock Auto, this alternate part # is shared with the C-Max. A quick google of C-max suspension problems (which, btw, google auto-filled) turned up a bunch of complaints about the top mounts creaking (mine are now). I'm really starting to believe this Ford suspension issue is wider spread than the reported incidents in this thread would suggest.
I'm new to this forum but FWIW, on the other FiST forums, the only complaint I've seen regarding the shocks/struts has been that they were a bit too jolting or a bit too high. None had busted shocks...and many were over 30 k miles. Was one guy who had over 150k in like only 2.5 years.

Will admit though that many had upgraded their shocks anyway for those same reasons. Could be they upgraded before they had issues but yours is the first I've seen with busted shocks right from day 1.

Part of the reason I think the shocks feel so harsh is the oem tire. I changed my tires (they were coming up soon anyway and tirerack had a nice sale going) and that alone helped out plenty. Still considering an upgrade on shocks though so here I am looking for what advice you guys have here with the aftermarket ahocks/struts...
www.fordparts.com about $90 per for struts. This is Ford official though.
RockAuto.com has motorcraft labeled units for about 70 per

If the dealer won't give me the parts (most likely) I'm probably going to order motorcraft parts with new mounts to hold me over until i can do the Bilstein coils. I refuse to have them touch my car when i can do the job myself.

Sent using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Looking for a simple strut/spring swap vs coilovers. Considering einbach, mountune, cobb and koni currently.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #58
I'm replacing my koni/eibach setup with MeisterR coils soon. The setup is just too soft for my driving style. I'll sell it to you for silly cheap if ur looking for a soprt/comfy setup.

Otherwise, save up for coils or research Bilstein's dampers if coils aren't in ur budget.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I am actually...sort of a sport touring feel to make those road trips a bit more comfortable so I'd definitely be interested in your setup. You can send me a pm if you like to discuss.
I'm replacing my koni/eibach setup with MeisterR coils soon. The setup is just too soft for my driving style. I'll sell it to you for silly cheap if ur looking for a soprt/comfy setup.

Otherwise, save up for coils or research Bilstein's dampers if coils aren't in ur budget.
Looking for a simple strut/spring swap vs coilovers. Considering einbach, mountune, cobb and koni currently.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #60
PM sent

Also, Rock Auto delivered on the top mounts. I'll be selling them with the rest of the setup. Just ordered MeisterR coils. Buy once, buy right? yeaaaaaa, i bought twice :p