Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014 Ford Fiesta ST project

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #281
You think the airtec is better than Cobbs?
I have no idea, I haven't seen any real-world data from it yet. I also purchased the AirTec before the COBB FMIC was avail. That said, I would still purchase the AirTec today if I was looking for a FMIC. It works very very well.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #282
Sekred asked about the ignition timing differences between pump gas and E30.

Here is an example of the difference between 91 octane and E30, both tuned for each fuel. This is my personal car. Every car is different. Again, just an example.

Ethanol really shines with the stock turbo since it produces so much heat and California 91 sucks. From experience I would add 2-3* for 93 octane to compare.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thanks man. I'll definitely check it out. I'll be looking at this one and Cobbs. Don't know much about intercoolers though.

Is it a direct bolt on no modification needed?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I keep saying that I'll get you some Cobb data and then I forget about it. Just from the numbers I've seen you post it appears like the Airtec is slightly more efficient. One of these days I'll remember and shoot you a datalog.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Sekred asked about the ignition timing differences between pump gas and E30.

Here is an example of the difference between 91 octane and E30, both tuned for each fuel. This is my personal car. Every car is different. Again, just an example.

Ethanol really shines with the stock turbo since it produces so much heat and California 91 sucks. From experience I would add 2-3* for 93 octane to compare.

Cheers, that's for the graph.
That's a huge difference in timing. I think I need a E mix and tune to suite.
Changes my preconceived ideas about ethanol.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #291

Evo owners park like aholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, I forgot I drove the Evo today. [screwy]

FiST is in the garage this week ready to get torn apart to install the Ethanol sensor.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #293
Going to Thunderhill again next Sunday. Will get another good deal of data logging done and experience with the car.

Looking forward to it.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #294
Another track day under my belt in the FiST.

Weather was amazing this time around. Mid 60F as the high, 50's in the morning. Sunny. What a difference from the 98F day last time.

Slowly getting my track legs back and getting used to the car. I went six seconds faster this time around, getting there, slowly but surely. The car still has a good amount left in it but I'm taking it slow as I still have six years of track cobwebs to clean out. Tried a couple different ways to drive the car this time with different success. I can tell once I get fully comfortable with car I will want to loosen up the chassis. Right now it's pretty darn stable but I can tell it will be faster with the chassis set up looser.

Now that I'm going faster in it I can predict a LSD could be in my future if I keep tracking the car. It would do some really weird hopping stuff in hard third gear corners on power and I would even get some wheel spin in 4th on track out in some places. That and not being able to put power down in off camber corners started to get a little frustrating, especially coming from tracking an AWD Evo.

I also think I need to get an exhaust of some sort as the car is way too quiet on track with a helmet on, hard to judge the RPM.

I used the GoPro for the first time this event too. You can see from my video I didn't mount it in a great spot to see all the track. You get to see my mug though. ;) I will try another angle next time. Scroll down to the end of this post for the video if you are interested.

Now, more data!

First, some engine data logs. Here is an overlay of a session from this event with an overlay of a session from last event. It's fairly obvious it was a much cooler day by the charge temps. Huge difference! The interesting data to note is that coolant and oil temps show a much less difference. They are obviously cooler this time but not by much!

Blue plots are from last event in 98F weather
Red plots are from this event in 65F weather

Next up is G-force. One lap. Lateral and Lineal. You can tell pretty quickly from looking at this overlay that I was much quicker this time and that is shown in the offset. Also note higher Lateral G's of 1.02 max compared to .99 before.

Left and right Lateral G's are shown as positive/negative.
Accel and Decel Lineal G's are shown as positive/negative. Note much harder braking this time.

Blue plots are from last event
Red plots are from this event

Here is the video. Unedited. One session. As noted camera position sucks and the car is way too quiet. First lap is my warm up lap so you can forward to the start of the second if you wish.

[video=youtube;qOuo34n9hcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOuo34n9hcs[/video]

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #296
updated the first post to include handy links to milestones in the thread

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #298
Now that my current track tune has been tested on track and it's pretty much solid, I'm starting to revisit my street tune.

I'm concentrating more on low and mid range tuning right now but I'm starting to think the general lack of flow mods on the car is starting to show.

Great gains so far low and mid range though, looks all nice and choked up top though... time for a downpipe?
Obviously most of this is the laughable stock turbo but it does make me wonder what opening up some flow could do.

Btw, I'm starting to have traction issues down low in 3rd gear now. Oops.

Mods:
E40 fuel
Airtec FMIC
Custom tuning via Cobb ATR by me :)

Compared to my last E45 street tune, you can see after 4500 rpm or so it's not so flow happy.

ryst

lol @ peak horsepower at 4200 rpm.

Do you think flow mods on the stock turbo will make a significant difference? ... Would be worth it to find out since you'll need them for the GTX upgrade anyway

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #300
lol @ peak horsepower at 4200 rpm.

Do you think flow mods on the stock turbo will make a significant difference? ... Would be worth it to find out since you'll need them for the GTX upgrade anyway
Hhaha yea it's like a diesel power band, which makes sense given the turbo size. The car is making 95wtq more than stock now.

I don't think flow mods will make a significant difference but they might fill in that curve post 4500 rpm a little bit more.