Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2014 Ford Fiesta ST project

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I was referring to a conversation you were having about as RPMs increase, you see the trottle plate closing.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #325
I figured that out awhile back. I think you might be thinking of sourskittle?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I figured that out awhile back. I think you might be thinking of sourskittle?
I just remember yall talking about it. I was wondering if you saw a notable difference in allowing the the plate to stay at full open and why you think Ford done this. Looking to get my car tuned soon and wanted to make sure the tuner knows whatsup. Thinking about going to COBB Plano.

Thanks

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I just remember yall talking about it. I was wondering if you saw a notable difference in allowing the the plate to stay at full open and why you think Ford done this. Looking to get my car tuned soon and wanted to make sure the tuner knows whatsup. Thinking about going to COBB Plano.

Thanks
Yes sir, with Razor's help, I got that part ironed out. Getting rid of the throttle closing tuned out to be the easy part. Making the car drive like stock with those changes made is the tough part. If your not running big boost numbers and/or running them higher in the rpm band, its not very hard to tune out. The harsh difference between a stock or stg3 car running 13-14psi at 6200rpms vs a cyborg (or other ) car running 19-20-21-22psi at 6200rpm is HUGE difference in load ( at least what the ecu calculates as load ). Going so far over ( any amount will do it ) the load limit at that part of the table will close the throttle. If its a little change, just a small change on the throttle tables will fix the issue with no repercussions. But when its such a big jumper over the OTS tune load limits, it requires a good size change in that throttle table, which fixes the throttle closing. But then.... The throttle map is out of wack, lol. So... It takes a while to get the throttle stuff tuned.

On a stock turbo, its not an issue almost at all.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Yes sir, with Razor's help, I got that part ironed out. Getting rid of the throttle closing tuned out to be the easy part. Making the car drive like stock with those changes made is the tough part. If your not running big boost numbers and/or running them higher in the rpm band, its not very hard to tune out. The harsh difference between a stock or stg3 car running 13-14psi at 6200rpms vs a cyborg (or other ) car running 19-20-21-22psi at 6200rpm is HUGE difference in load ( at least what the ecu calculates as load ). Going so far over ( any amount will do it ) the load limit at that part of the table will close the throttle. If its a little change, just a small change on the throttle tables will fix the issue with no repercussions. But when its such a big jumper over the OTS tune load limits, it requires a good size change in that throttle table, which fixes the throttle closing. But then.... The throttle map is out of wack, lol. So... It takes a while to get the throttle stuff tuned.

On a stock turbo, its not an issue almost at all.
Great post skittle. How did this help with power? I'm stage 3 and looking to get tuned soon.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Re-rx7 this would be the difference on the table that mattered the most to me. This is 91oct stg3 table vs what mine is set to.

Cobb-stock

My current ( the bottom two rows are the only ones that have actually been altered).

Speed wise? It def made a difference. But it also threw my wastegate duty cycle table completely out the window, then I added the EFR wastegate and now... I really can't say how much of a difference it made. I can say that RIGHT NOW, when it shuts the throttle on me sometimes, it will dip the V-dyno plot 10-15hp.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Mother of God. This ECU is damn complex. Im not sure if COBB has caught up to the curve yet that you two are on.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Mother of God. This ECU is damn complex. Im not sure if COBB has caught up to the curve yet that you two are on.
I can't speak for the "pro-tuner" shops, but Cobb themselves are way past me, lol. Panda, razor, randy, and Alex are light years ahead of me. I'm just doing what I can as I go

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I can't speak for the "pro-tuner" shops, but Cobb themselves are way past me, lol. Panda, razor, randy, and Alex are light years ahead of me. I'm just doing what I can as I go
Upon calling COBB SOCAL i was informed that they are still working there way through the throttle closing ordeal.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Matt at Panda has it figured out on the modded turbo, mine stays wide open, all the time I am on it all the way:)

Cobb is a very conservative company, some of their numbers may not be the top that can be achieved but they are very methodical and take slower steps than most but also they do not ever inflate what they can do, sell parts that do not fit(to the best of my knowledge as never an issue with what I have used from them) I have the highest respect for them.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Upon calling COBB SOCAL i was informed that they are still working there way through the throttle closing ordeal.
Sorry...got a few questions...I really should just talk with Cobb...but anyway...

Is there a problem with the throttle closing or just folks not understanding how to deal with setting up the limit tables? And whom did you speak with at Cobb? And is this just an issue that folks are seeing with these upgraded turbo's they are installing??

Just like to know if there really is an issue..thx...

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Sorry...got a few questions...I really should just talk with Cobb...but anyway...

Is there a problem with the throttle closing or just folks not understanding how to deal with setting up the limit tables? And whom did you speak with at Cobb? And is this just an issue that folks are seeing with these upgraded turbo's they are installing??

Sourskittle and Razor know more on the subject then I do. I spoke with a guy at the front im guessing cant recall his name. He said they have been working on it and that its a complex issue. Said once they got it dialed out there would be an OTS update.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #336

It's not an issue, it's just proper tuning from figuring out things as they come up.

Would you mind elaborating on the issue in reference? I haven't heard of anything in particular so I'd love to know if there is something that needs to be addressed! Please send over any details here or via PM so we can all be on the same page.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Would you mind elaborating on the issue in reference? I haven't heard of anything in particular so I'd love to know if there is something that needs to be addressed! Please send over any details here or via PM so we can all be on the same page.

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
Sourskittle and Razor have more of scientific answer then I do LOL. There post are on the previous page. Basically the ECU is closing the throttle as the boost/rpm climbs.