Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 Daily driver build project (first project car) -

With thine bank account, i thee wed. Well that's how it feels at least, but boy is it fun so far. Up to this point my little black FiST has a few cosmetics and some power mods. Im new to car modding but THANK THE CAR GODS i had sense enough to avert disaster this last weekend. I found a local shop a couple weeks ago that does everything i need. The week before i got my MBRP 3" installed, and this last weekend had my Mishimoto FMIC and radiator put on. Sounds fantastic, so much whaaammmm when i get past 4k, if only the power didn't die at 5k. Well that's ok bc my hybrid is on order. Last piece of the puzzle for the time will be an e30 tune and im good.

About the disaster.... honest mistake im sure as they were pretty busy but the boys at the shop forgot to put coolant in my radiator. Made it home (bout 7m) and had no idea, later that day hit the gym about 3m away, then drove about 9m to get some food and while in the drive through, the overheat beep hits and i see my heat dots at 8/8. Couldn't be a coincidence i just had work done that day. Went into limp mode going up a hill so i found a parking lot and immediately shut it down. Im no mechanic but the first thing i looked at was the coolant (once i youtubed where the cap was) and yep, bone dry. Made sure i knew the right procedure for bleeding and such, the new Mishimoto radiator has a nice brass button you just push to open the seal.

Got a ride to walmart and fixed her up but i couldn't help but think how bad it could have been. I checked the engine light iwth my AP and it was for coolant overheat only so i think shutting it down fast and the cool 25 degree air that night helped. I also had an oil change less than 100 ago. Lesson learned, even professionals make mistakes on our cars. With that said, i was dog sick all weekend and didn't really get out to drive till today but all is good, no coolant leak, temps good, and it's so fun to hear it rev. I'll update as i go but am mostly looking forward to the high end power of a new turbo.

Any and all advice and feedback is welcome, especially about turbo installs and such. Spark plugs a good idea? I hear 1 step colder are good. Anyway cheers guys!

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
With thine bank account, i thee wed. Well that's how it feels at least, but boy is it fun so far. Up to this point my little black FiST has a few cosmetics and some power mods. Im new to car modding but THANK THE CAR GODS i had sense enough to avert disaster this last weekend. I found a local shop a couple weeks ago that does everything i need. The week before i got my MBRP 3" installed, and this last weekend had my Mishimoto FMIC and radiator put on. Sounds fantastic, so much whaaammmm when i get past 4k, if only the power didn't die at 5k. Well that's ok bc my hybrid is on order. Last piece of the puzzle for the time will be an e30 tune and im good.

About the disaster.... honest mistake im sure as they were pretty busy but the boys at the shop forgot to put coolant in my radiator. Made it home (bout 7m) and had no idea, later that day hit the gym about 3m away, then drove about 9m to get some food and while in the drive through, the overheat beep hits and i see my heat dots at 8/8. Couldn't be a coincidence i just had work done that day. Went into limp mode going up a hill so i found a parking lot and immediately shut it down. Im no mechanic but the first thing i looked at was the coolant (once i youtubed where the cap was) and yep, bone dry. Made sure i knew the right procedure for bleeding and such, the new Mishimoto radiator has a nice brass button you just push to open the seal.

Got a ride to walmart and fixed her up but i couldn't help but think how bad it could have been. I checked the engine light iwth my AP and it was for coolant overheat only so i think shutting it down fast and the cool 25 degree air that night helped. I also had an oil change less than 100 ago. Lesson learned, even professionals make mistakes on our cars. With that said, i was dog sick all weekend and didn't really get out to drive till today but all is good, no coolant leak, temps good, and it's so fun to hear it rev. I'll update as i go but am mostly looking forward to the high end power of a new turbo.

Any and all advice and feedback is welcome, especially about turbo installs and such. Spark plugs a good idea? I hear 1 step colder are good. Anyway cheers guys!
Make sure to use the correct coolant. They are not all the same anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #4
Make sure to use the correct coolant. They are not all the same anymore.

I did quite a bit of video searching before hand in the store. Found many videos saying motorcraft orange was the best but they didn't have any, found a couple videos saying Prestone yellow was doable which i ended up buying. I won't keep it in long term though, figured i'd ask around and do more research and find the best option. I also wasn't sure if the Motorcraft option was still best considering i have the Mishimoto unit rather than stock.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I did quite a bit of video searching before hand in the store. Found many videos saying motorcraft orange was the best but they didn't have any, found a couple videos saying Prestone yellow was doable which i ended up buying. I won't keep it in long term though, figured i'd ask around and do more research and find the best option. I also wasn't sure if the Motorcraft option was still best considering i have the Mishimoto unit rather than stock.
I believe that the original Motorcraft was orange but is now yellow. Ford discontinued orange and updated the spec to yellow. I'm not sure if Prestone has the recommended specs. It has more to do with the engine requirements as opposed to the radiator requirements in the chemical protection that Ford is looking for. Just "Google" it and you'll probably find out more than you ever wanted to know. LOL

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #9
Also, if there is any old orange Motorcraft left in the system/engine passageways it is totally A OK to have that mixed with the newer Motorcraft yellow, as they are fully and completely cross-compatible/miscible, chemically. [wink] [thumb]
That was a question i was pondering about the Prestone. Do i need to COMPLETELY flush it out (however it's done) or is it ok if there's trace amounts of Prestone when i pour in the Motorcraft yellow?

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #11
Just an update, got my 93 tune from Dizzy ready and tomorrow at 7am I drop off the ride for turbo install! Got a turbo smart WG and BOV to be safe, should be done late tomorrow. Can’t freakin wait ! Appreciate all the advice up to now guys.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #12
Ok so turbo is in but once again, nothing is easy. Car was running very rough at lower rpm’s on the way home and sounded terrible, quite a bit of vibration. Code 302 popped which is #2 misfire. Research suggests the most likely culprit is a spark plug issue, and I just so happened to have them install fo new step colder spark plugs today.

I checked the plug wires and they seem to be secure to the coils so I’m assuming one of the spark plugs is just bad. Sparky install seems to be simple and easy even if you’ve never done it before so I’m going to attempt that first and replace the spark plugs and see if that fixes the issue.

Thoughts are more than welcome 😤

Attachments

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #14
Sometimes the clip in the boot part of the coil is not fully seated/'clicked' onto the plug's top contact point.
You could check that first on cylinder #2.
Well I should have read this first but I just put in 4 new plugs and no difference, on the plus side I didn’t manage to make things worse. The coils were pretty easy to manage and that’s the next most likely culprit. I might take the coils back out tomorrow to look at what you are saying, if nothing else I’ll buy new coils. It can’t be just a coincidence that they put new plugs in today and I’m getting a misfire so I guess that’s the good news it’s probably the coils.
I hope…

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #15
Touchdown! Picked up four ignition coils from Napa this morning and upon first installation managed to cause a misfire in cylinder one also. The good news was that told me that improper coil installation alone can cause a misfire so I took them out and put them back in and tried to fit them snug did that two or three times and voilà she’s purring like a kitten.

I swear it sounds better than it did before that might be partially because of the turbo but I think it’s running smoother with new spark plugs and coils also. So now I will commence with my hundred mile test run that dizzy suggests then give them three data logs and hopefully get a final version of my tune with optimal power.

And M-sport fan you may have been correct it was just the coil clip, it could have been not installed properly from the shop as I didn’t even install the new ones properly the first time around.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #16
Ok downpipe time ! So where I live there is no smog testing and I have a shop that will pass inspection (friend). So if I’m going for performance and noise is a non issue, catless is the cats meow right? Any suggestions on brand or type? I’m looking at whoosh but they have a v1 and v3, and of course there are other brands. Looking to order today and the shop could probably get me in early next week.

any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Ok downpipe time ! So where I live there is no smog testing and I have a shop that will pass inspection (friend). So if I’m going for performance and noise is a non issue, catless is the cats meow right? Any suggestions on brand or type? I’m looking at whoosh but they have a v1 and v3, and of course there are other brands. Looking to order today and the shop could probably get me in early next week.

any advice or info is greatly appreciated.
Not worth it. Little to no gains. Stock turbo loses power and BT still doesn't gain much. It's not the power robber that you, and most, think that it is.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #18
Nearing completion. Last leg. However it goes, I’m almost there. The Whoosh hybrid is coming to life now with up to 27psi on 93 and next week I start my e30 tune process.
Got the radiator FMIC and catback, after ethanol tune I’m debating a downpipe and then done. After that it’s time to fix the aging cosmetics and make it look pretty. Maybe flat dark gray in the end.
either way this thing is movin now, fast enough to scare the wife 😎 Totally worth the cash, this thing is quick. Any othe mod ideas plz share I’m all ears.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #19
Today installed my e30 tune from DIzzy (first iteration). Got burbles, no pops, im not trying to be that conspicuous. Also remember discussions a while back and read up more on DPs and decided to go with a Whosh catless which i ordered on Saturday, should be in the mail soon. Burning through some potentially bad fuel as i go into the e30 tune (changing my station from now on), will start tuning logs on next fillup. When all is done i will get my first dyno to get an actual figure and be sure to post it here for reference.

Tons of body work to fix though and man is it spendy ($1200 for rocker moulding!!!) but im about out of performance mods i had planned. Breaks are super expensive too sheesh.