Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 FiST - San Diego

Nick_Nyce

Yo yo!

New to the forums, had this ST for about 2 years now and loving it. Bought it with high mileage, it's at 202k right now.

I recently replaced the transmission with a used one and 2nd gear has been grinding. Looks like I need to buy another transmission since getting the parts for 2nd gear seem impossible.

Any suggestions from the forums? High mileage car, worth putting in more money or save up to get another.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ford SVT & ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Yo yo!

New to the forums, had this ST for about 2 years now and loving it. Bought it with high mileage, it's at 202k right now.

I recently replaced the transmission with a used one and 2nd gear has been grinding. Looks like I need to buy another transmission since getting the parts for 2nd gear seem impossible.

Any suggestions from the forums? High mileage car, worth putting in more money or save up to get another.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi Nick, It depends on WHAT mods, repairs and condition the rest of the vehicle is in!
What color is your car? I just bought mine in March and I wish I would have bought one 10 years ago!!!!
Best car out there for the money! Actually one of the BEST Do Anything cars if you don't need a mini van!!
I LOOKED AND RESEARCHED AND LOOKED AND RESEARCHED FOR 3 MONTHS OF THIS YEAR BECAUSE MY Company car died on New Years eve and they decided NOT to replace it.

I have the list of 46 vehicles from Audi to Toyota and everything in between and there is NOTHING else out there, NOTHING like our cars!! Not unless u want to spend over $40K
If if is ragged to death....Then buy another one and transfer all of your go fast parts to the new car!!

Am I right FiST Forum????

OP
N

Nick_Nyce

Thread Starter #4
Car is is good condition. Color is silver and a some wear and tear but it's expected as a high mileage car. Runs great other than the transmission issue I have. Luckily for me, my uncle is a mechanic for ford and he's been helping me with it but we just can't seem to find the 2nd gear parts to make it work so I've been driving it from 1st to 3rd. Looking into getting a remanufactured transmission.

Guess my other question is.. would I need to do an engine swap soon considering the high mileage on it? Sounds like a big and expensive job, but if it's around 2-3k then I might just bite the bullet and do the swap.

Doesn't have many mods, just lowered a bit and has a Cobb muffler, bought it that way from the 1st owner and he kept the car in great condition. All maintenance on time, etc so I was happy with my purchase. There's a few things I need to do myself to the car but nothing major from what I know other than the transmission issue.

I don't feel like searching for another car and having another high payment haha, I did that when I bought my brand new focus then it got wrecked sadly.. but the payments were just to high to keep up plus the insurance.

Anyhow, the FiST has been great to me and I want to keep, wouldn't mind putting in money into it just as long as the life of the car will last me a few more years. Love that thing!

Ford SVT & ST

U.S. Army Veteran
@FiestaSTdude; @Mech_Mike_412; @akiraproject24; @XR 650 R; @MSportFan are just some of the guys that I have started to follow and chat with. These guys are SERIOUS FiST car owners and have tons more knowledge than I do about Turbos and Transmissions and Parts!
I Have attached their User ID's with the Hope that they see this CHAT and read your notes about your car where they can guide you in the exact proper direction.
I would KEEP the car and Fix it!
Check with: http://www.clarketransmissions.com/fiesta-st-transmission/ for 2nd gear and/or a REMAN. trans.
Probably time for MODS.....While it is apart....
Can get addicting when you OPEN that toolbox to Modifying your FiST!!!

Definitely put a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the car while the trani. is being rebuilt!!! It is the Single biggest dramatic improvement you will notice right away in EVERY GEAR!!

Ford SVT & ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Ask your uncle to look at the bearings and internals while the transmission is out and the oil pan is off of the car. I don't know how long the FORD engine will hold up in our cars.....You may be the guy that defines/answers that question at over 202,000 miles and counting!

If bearings and connecting rods and rings all look good, put new fluids, new gaskets and put her back together.
Clean up/out and flush as many parts as you can access while it is all apart, replace bolts with stainless if you have any rounded bolt heads or nuts and you should be good for another 10 years... or 200,000 miles!! The stainless will make it easier to take apart in the future. (especially if u have California salt air corrosion issues)

OP
N

Nick_Nyce

Thread Starter #7
Wow! Great and fast replies! Appreciate all the advice!

I'll definitely start looking into all this. Thank you so much!

Also, I'm a newbie at fixing the car solo but would love to learn and grow. I can't always have my uncle next to me while working on the car or have him do it all the time. Time for me to get my hands dirty and start. If only I had a garage to work on the car though, that's the tough part at the moment.

I'll do some research for the transmission since that's the biggest thing on my list and I'll look into adding an LSD while it's apart.

Thanks again for all the great info! This gives me hope as I'm in love with my FiST.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome to the Forum and having one of the best colour car out there! I've only seen ONE other silver one is nearly 10yrs! We are different!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
@FiestaSTdude; @Mech_Mike_412; @akiraproject24; @XR 650 R; @MSportFan are just some of the guys that I have started to follow and chat with. These guys are SERIOUS FiST car owners and have tons more knowledge than I do about Turbos and Transmissions and Parts!
I Have attached their User ID's with the Hope that they see this CHAT and read your notes about your car where they can guide you in the exact proper direction.
I would KEEP the car and Fix it!
Check with: http://www.clarketransmissions.com/fiesta-st-transmission/ for 2nd gear and/or a REMAN. trans.
Probably time for MODS.....While it is apart....
Can get addicting when you OPEN that toolbox to Modifying your FiST!!!

Definitely put a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the car while the trani. is being rebuilt!!! It is the Single biggest dramatic improvement you will notice right away in EVERY GEAR!!
ah excuse me. but most of those guys are on stock Turbo’s.😂 Outside of Akira who is running a hybrid . S280 is still the better choice 😉😂
As for transmissions , he can try buying one from Ford it might possibly be remanufactured with a core charge. I already wrote about Ford disco’ing a lot of parts for the car and I believe I also heard they had disco’d certain trans parts. . Suggesting Clark is not bad idea if he wants to shell out the money. Ot

Ford SVT & ST

U.S. Army Veteran
@Dpro I was just giving the new guy some Forum guys to reach out too and Knew you were one of the guys with extensive knowledge. I did not mean to exclude anyone as there are a hundred active forum people at any given day whom might be able to help Nick Nyce. I was just encouraging him as a new member to reach out to you and others for advice.
I am new to Forum and the FiST myself, my experience is N/A V8 engines

Dpro

6000 Post Club
@Dpro I was just giving the new guy some Forum guys to reach out too and Knew you were one of the guys with extensive knowledge. I did not mean to exclude anyone as there are a hundred active forum people at any given day whom might be able to help Nick Nyce. I was just encouraging him as a new member to reach out to you and others for advice.
I am new to Forum and the FiST myself, my experience is N/A V8 engines
I was not saying hey what about me . I was saying you were mentioning turbos but then pointing him to people who for the most part just had maybe tunes but did not have different turbos . except for Akira. If you had posted these guys know a lot hit them up and not mentioned specifics I would have been ok and not posted.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nick_Nyce

Thread Starter #12
FORD has discontinued a lot of parts for the FiST. I couldn't get the 2nd gear parts from FORD so now I am looking for other sources. If anyone knows where to get 2nd gear parts, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I checked out Clark and looks great. A few more months and I'll have enough cash to throw at it. I might have to buy ANOTHER transmission but at least this time I know to not buy used.. lesson learned.

As far as putting in Mods to my FiST, of course I'd love to do that but this is my daily (and only car) and don't have a garage to fix up my car on my own. I also only have the most basic tools available haha, which can go a long way but I am not experienced in fixing cars but would like to learn. Right now the first thing on my list is to fix the transmission then go from there.

For cosmetics, I'd like to get some new white rims which I do have my eyes on a certain pair and possibly a wide body kit if I want to go that route. (I'm a sucka for wide body)

Then save some more money in case the ENGINE goes bad due to the high mileage. Having it at 202k+ is a bit scary haha.

Thanks for all the knowledge and replies, truly appreciate you guys!