Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 FiST Transmission Problem?

I just bought my Molten Orange 2016 Fiesta ST about 3 weeks ago and I love it so far except for this one issue. I only have around 500 miles on the car, 90% city driving, and twice I've had the car not been able to go into first gear at a light. It's like something is blocking it from going into first. If I depress the clutch throw it in neutral and throw it back in it goes, I'm just hoping this isn't a major problem.

I saw someone said they had an issue on another forum with a 2014, but didn't see any replies. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Deli

I'm also having this same issue on my 2016. I correct this by going into second before going into first and that seems to work. I've been told that the transmission breaks in a bit which should correct the issue, but I'm already at 2500 miles and it happens from time to time. If it doesn't correct soon, I'll bring it in under warranty.

I would do one of two things: Bring it into the dealer under warranty, or go through the adjustment procedure for the shift cables, I don't have the link on hand but a quick search should bring it up

twolf

31k miles, mine has done this since like, day 1. Not gotten any worse. Every manual transmission vehicle I've ever driven has done it, actually.

rexdriver85

You can add me to the list, 14.5k miles and mine does it too, sporadically. Like twolf said, most manual cars I've owned have done this. I usually put it in 2nd first and then up into 1st and it takes care of it.

For anyone who brings the car in for warranty for this issue id be curious to see how they handle it. Subbed.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As others have already said, this is totally normal. Every manual I've ever owned has done this periodically. I either tap the gas a bit or hit the clutch again and it goes in. It's so common that it's second nature. Even my motorcycles have all done this. There's no issue here guys.

me32

1000 Post Club
Im guessing most on here have never owned a fox body mustang with a T5. Nothing new it happens to me too. Just how manual transmissions can be.

OP
N
Thread Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I appreciate it!

I've owned many cars with manuals, but I don't remember ever having this issue. Then again, "remembering" is the key word there, lol. On my older Audi S4 I had this issue, but only in reverse. And the reverse on that car was synchronized. And then on my car before this, my 500 Abarth, I had a problem with reverse grinding and popping out, but that reverse wasn't synchronized.

But I did drive it another 35 miles yesterday all city, and I got stuck at pretty much every light, and throwing into first was pretty smooth.

Now I can worry less and have fun driving this little pocket rocket. SO much fun!

me32

1000 Post Club
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I appreciate it!

I've owned many cars with manuals, but I don't remember ever having this issue. Then again, "remembering" is the key word there, lol. On my older Audi S4 I had this issue, but only in reverse. And the reverse on that car was synchronized. And then on my car before this, my 500 Abarth, I had a problem with reverse grinding and popping out, but that reverse wasn't synchronized.

But I did drive it another 35 miles yesterday all city, and I got stuck at pretty much every light, and throwing into first was pretty smooth.

Now I can worry less and have fun driving this little pocket rocket. SO much fun!

Glad to hear

Yep. I've had this too and freaked out until I talked to some other people. It's just the synchros no lining up. Release the clutch and step on it again and you'll be fine.