Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2017 Fiesta ST - 100% stock throwing CEL: P0420

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The sensor in question that you want to replace is after the downpipe the one farther away from the engine.
The one before the downpipe measures air-fuel ratios the one after the downpipe measures the effectiveness of the converter.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
PolloVagabundo
Thread Starter #22
The sensor in question that you want to replace is after the downpipe the one farther away from the engine.
The one before the downpipe measures air-fuel ratios the one after the downpipe measures the effectiveness of the converter.

even though it said bank 1?

And to replace the second sensor, will it be basically the same method as the one I just replaced or is it reachable from under the car?

sorry - I’m learning as I go, appreciate everyone’s help so far!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So basically a inline engine like a 4-cylinder only has one bank. A V engine like a v6 would have 2 banks.

May have to go under the car not sure.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I will just post my 2¢ worth.
I was a CA Smog Tech for many years and had to do many emission repairs.
I found that it was NOT worth the money savings to use any thing other than OEM O2 sensors.

Here also is the info from the service manual.
I hope it helps.

0420.jpg

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yep. Everyone has been saying the code is reference to the catalytic converter. This means it's either the downstream sensor as Ford ST said, or the catalytic converter itself. (or both)

Hang on to the original sensor you just removed. I'd confirm whether the first/second sensor are the same (think they are) and use it to replace the one that should've been replaced to start with.

If the catalytic converter has failed, consider the possibility that there may be an engine or fuel-additive related reason(s) for it. An engine that's running rich, leaking coolant, running cold, or running leaded fuel, are examples of conditions that murder converters.

OP
PolloVagabundo
Thread Starter #26
So, We hooked up my friends accessport to check and clear the codes... attached Is what we read.

the code has not came back on since clearing but we will see in the next few days of driving.

Attachments

OP
PolloVagabundo
Thread Starter #27
P0420 code is back on! :(

option one, replace the second sensor next to the downpipe?

option two.. bring the car into the dealer and hope it’s the cat needing replacement?

3yrs old and just under 50k, this makes me sad.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
yeah but the potential of a free OEM converter and those are expensive. Even if you decide to go to a different downpipe at some point you could sell it.
You have so many people buying these cars on the used market now that have mods on them when they would actually prefer to have the car stock.
Just get it fixed it will be well worth it. I know you mentioned about doing some upgrades, so if you do just sell it for a few hundred dollars.

OP
PolloVagabundo
Thread Starter #31
let me know what happens. I got the same problem
will do!

currently the light will turn off temporarily and then always comes back on.

Have decided we are going to take it in to the dealer, just need to make an appointment when schedules allow us to car pool for the day.

OP
PolloVagabundo
Thread Starter #38
Did they charge you a diagnostic fee?

they did nothing but send me to tighten my exhaust up and weld it which i did so and i still have the smell. stratified finally sent a tune that took away the check engine. I am going to just leave it for now but i think its the downpipe

OP
PolloVagabundo
Thread Starter #40
What was your verdict?
With the wife not working, the car has been sitting in the garage. Have not scheduled an appointment with the ford dealer yet but hopefully soon. I will definitely post the results in here after they confirm it is the cat or who knows what else.