Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2019 (?) Fiesta ST vs. 2015

m__b

Driving past a Ford dealer (I'm in the US), saw a new Fiesta ST on the lot. Discover that, despite what I thought I knew to the contrary, there are some 2019 Fiesta STs out there. I assume they are actually rebadged 2018s (which I thought themselves were rebadged 2017s).

Immediately began to ponder if I should jump on the last chance to get a new FiST. Does anyone know anything about how the "2019" versions compare to the 2015 Fiesta ST? Specifically, I autocross (stock but for upgraded tires), and want to figure out if there are any major drivetrain/suspension changes that might affect autox performance. I can't find any but it's hard to find any information on the car in the first place, so just looking for any info, from anyone, about anything...!

Thanks in advance.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes, there are 2019 MK7 FiSTs in the US. To my knowledge, the 2019 are identical to 2018, which in turn seem to be identical to 2017 aside from the addition of back up cameras as standard and the addition of small strips of paint protection film between the hatch and the center trim panel.

The suspension was altered (mid-year?) in 2016 to make the ride less harsh and this carried onto following years. I forget the particulars, but I believe the spring rates and sway bars are different compared to pre-2016 models. I think there was a revision to the cylinder head to address cooling issues beginning with the 2016 models but I'm not 100% sure on the exact date. The EVAP harness connecting to the intake is also different in 2016+ models and there were some revisions to the seat electrical harnesses. Sync 3 was introduced around this time. Besides that, they are functionally identical and most of the changes are quite minor.
You forgot about the larger front swaybars and stiffer rear torsion beams for 17-19.

To the OP is your 15 paid for? Does it have a lot of mileage?
If it has a lot of mileage I could see picking up a new 19. If your mileage is low then its situation of does it make financial sense.
I have a 18 and the way I am going mileage it will be at leasr 5-6 years before I hit a mileage figure that would make me think of getting another with lower mileage or no mileage.
If you can make the deal work though then it might be worth it. Only you can answer that by working the numbers.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I believe a revised cylinder head is a myth, all that was added was a temp sensor on the side. IIRC, Deadhook confirmed this. He found no other changes when torn apart. Technically it is a revision, but not what most want to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a 2018, which is the same as the 2019, I believe. I just so happened to have driven a 2014 today. A co-worker brought his son's in to let me experience a stage 1 tune, RMM, and Indy 500 tires.

My observations:

• The 2018 ride is no smoother. I know they softened the springs, but my car's ride is equally as brutal (in a good, sporty way). I didn't detect any palpable difference in ride quality. If anything I'd say the 2018 feels more balanced and the 2014 felt a bit more tail-happy.
  • Is the interior build quality better in 2018? I am not not sure, but my car is mostly rattle-free after eight months of driving. The 2014 rattled and buzzed like a 30 year old car. I finally experienced the infamous broken blend actuator door too, LOL. He had a Cobb RMM, so that may contribute to the buzzing, but I turned off the AC and everything in the dash kept on rattling.
  • His shifts felt exactly the same as my 2018 with the stock RMM. I've heard the stock RMM has been significantly stiffened up over the the years. I am seriously reconsidering whether I will install the Mountune RMM (which just arrived yesterday) if I can expect this kind of rattling and buzzing. To be honest, compared to my 2018, I felt no improvement in the quality of shifts or delivery of power. But, I only had a total of 20 minutes behind the wheel and not many opportunities to test the 1st to 2nd transition.
  • If I could afford to, I'd stick with the Potenzas or a similar grade of performance tire. Indy 500s might be good for the price, but they're just not as good.
The Cobb stage 1 tune was the most positive part of the experience. It was blowing the tires off in second gear, where mine scratches for traction, but doesn't completely spin. So, it's basically useless down low, but the tune really felt like an improvement to third and fourth gear acceleration from 3-5k RPMs. I am looking forward to my custom Mountune tune, if the Accessport ever gets here. I just found out it is backordered. I hope they're not as backordered as the downpipes.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I was in same situation. I had a 15 with 75k on it and was autocrossed and was starting to show age. I picked up a leftover 17 last year. At times wish I just kept the 15. I’d say if yours is in good shape and lower miles I’d keep it. Maybe pick up a lightly used one down the road when time comes.

Mikey456

I own a 2018, which is the same as the 2019, I believe. I just so happened to have driven a 2014 today. A co-worker brought his son's in to let me experience a stage 1 tune, RMM, and Indy 500 tires.

My observations:

• The 2018 ride is no smoother. I know they softened the springs, but my car's ride is equally as brutal (in a good, sporty way). I didn't detect any palpable difference in ride quality. If anything I'd say the 2018 feels more balanced and the 2014 felt a bit more tail-happy.
  • Is the interior build quality better in 2018? I am not not sure, but my car is mostly rattle-free after eight months of driving. The 2014 rattled and buzzed like a 30 year old car. I finally experienced the infamous broken blend actuator door too, LOL. He had a Cobb RMM, so that may contribute to the buzzing, but I turned off the AC and everything in the dash kept on rattling.
  • His shifts felt exactly the same as my 2018 with the stock RMM. I've heard the stock RMM has been significantly stiffened up over the the years. I am seriously reconsidering whether I will install the Mountune RMM (which just arrived yesterday) if I can expect this kind of rattling and buzzing. To be honest, compared to my 2018, I felt no improvement in the quality of shifts or delivery of power. But, I only had a total of 20 minutes behind the wheel and not many opportunities to test the 1st to 2nd transition.
  • If I could afford to, I'd stick with the Potenzas or a similar grade of performance tire. Indy 500s might be good for the price, but they're just not as good.
The Cobb stage 1 tune was the most positive part of the experience. It was blowing the tires off in second gear, where mine scratches for traction, but doesn't completely spin. So, it's basically useless down low, but the tune really felt like an improvement to third and fourth gear acceleration from 3-5k RPMs. I am looking forward to my custom Mountune tune, if the Accessport ever gets here. I just found out it is backordered. I hope they're not as backordered as the downpipes.
I have the Mountune RMM installed. I don’t notice any “rattling and buzzing”. Just more accurate shifting. Totally worth it for me. Some of the other aftermarket RMM are stiffer and may result in the increased vibration that you are talking about.

I have the Mountune RMM installed. I don’t notice any “rattling and buzzing”. Just more accurate shifting. Totally worth it for me. Some of the other aftermarket RMM are stiffer and may result in the increased vibration that you are talking about.
Glad to hear that. This was a 2014 model, so it had five years on the clock. Might just be age. These cars are so taut; I'm sure it's not good for the build integrity as the cars age. This was a Cobb RMM though, not one of the more aggressive models.

I'm hopeful that I get the same effect as you. I can always put the factory RMM back on if mine behaves differently.

Going from a 17 to a 19 (both base models), I noticed two things:

1.) Back up camera
2.) Infotainment load screen (went from Ford logo, to ST logo--carbon fiber background).

Otherwise, it was like "coming home".

I made the switch after hearing they were (really and truly) discontinuing the ST line last month. No money down, same payment... reset the odometer to zero. Couldn't be happier!