Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/45/R17 On Stock Rims... Does it fit?

Hey everyone,

So tire options in the stock 205/40/17 sizing is just the Michelin AS4, but I was hoping to get more sidewall for smoother ride and better curb protection (I have to park on a slope here in Vancouver, tires pointing to the curb at all times).

Does anyone run, or has anyone ran, 205/45/17s on the stock rims? Does it really feel that sluggish when daily driving and passing on the highway? Is there rubbing on the bolts of your RallyArmors when installed?

Help me out forums as I need to get off my winters ASAP.

Thanks!

I've just put 205/45 continental ecs on 17x7.5 et40 O.Z Racing Superturismo LM wheels and just did a autocross/track day on them with no rubbing. No problem with my mud flaps so far. Does change the gearing a bit and my speedo is slow by a few mph.

OP
WPG-FiST
Thread Starter #4
I've just put 205/45 continental ecs on 17x7.5 et40 O.Z Racing Superturismo LM wheels and just did a autocross/track day on them with no rubbing. No problem with my mud flaps so far. Does change the gearing a bit and my speedo is slow by a few mph.
And for reference, the OEM rim is also et40? And I was hoping to go with the Conti DSW06s for my daily for their wet performance reviews for the PNW weather and mountain runs. Thanks for the clearance on the mudflaps! That was my biggest worry. Speedo is always off half the year with my 195/60/15 winter tires so I'm used to the differences from that.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
205/45-17 is minimally enough to provide a smoother ride. It's only adding 10.25mm in side wall/ride height.

That's the reason I went "minus 1". 205/50-16 provides a very smooth DD ride. After I bought them, I picked up a used tire/wheel set of 205/45-16's. Both sets are Indy 500. I tried them out, though not extensively. Compared to the 205/50, the 40's ride 'rough'. Compared to the factory 205/40-17, it is so close. I prefer the 205/50 and no, it does not feel sluggish. While it may not perform at the same level of a 205/40-16 or 17, a smooth ride is what I want for a DD. Of course, it is all preference and w/o measuring, subjective, right?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
215/45r17's with RE71R's will barely rub on the nuts on the rally armor flaps at certain amounts of compression and turn angle. It is not enough to ever notice. Also some rubbing on the fender liners at full compression with stock suspension. I autocross with this size so I wouldn't say they are sluggish in the slightest.

I doubt you will have any problems with 205/45's