Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/50/15 Semi slick options (?)

I am interested mostly in longitudinal grip

*2360lbs
*240 est crank
*daily driven

Dont want to try AR1's because although they are sticky as hell the car is a daily and winter is coming

I am between these 5 options

any opinions?

edit: can also find Federal rs-r

Attachments

Last edited:
What's winter like where you are? I had the pros and they gripped really well but were really loud and not a fan of rain at all. They got sketchy at highway speeds in anything more than a drizzle.

OP
eagle
Thread Starter #3
They can vary from 59f to as low as 41f

very rarely we see snow but I am not concerned so much for that posibility

when it rains I 'll try to stay below 62miles / hour in the highway if I should
noise is not so much a concern, grip is because I want to raise boost from 1st gear

I'm running the Federal 595s RS-RR 215 40 17. I live in deep south Texas so winter is not a concern. It has been raining but I cruise fine on the expressway 70+. They grip very well minimal spin. I have a FBO e30 X57RS setup.

kevinatfms

All these options are 200 treadwear. Isnt a "semi-slick" usually a 140 and under treadwear?

Of all of them, the Nankang NS2R is probably the best one. Although that is me hearing this from others. I have not tried them yet(and i am super excited to try them). The others i have a good amount of track time on them....

The Federal RS-RR screams at anything over 35mph. They felt like glue though on my 15x7s on my Fiesta. They wear quite well also and at the time they were the cheapest 200tw tire available that performed as a 200tw tire. In the US now its quite hard to get them anymore. The sounds it makes at the limit are just crazy but are a good indication of how far you are pushing them.

The Federal RS-Pro is good but runs slim and has a very finicky sidewall. Be careful with anything less than -2.0 camber as the sidewall will wear(i had big issues with this). I ran some of my fastest times at Summit Point on these tires. They were super consistent and take heat well. Only got greasy after 10-15 laps at 10/10ths.

The Accelera Sport 651(non-Xtra model) is ok. We ran them on our Chump Car Elantra for a race. They overheated after 5-7 laps but didnt chunk or delaminate. One set of rear tires lasted the full 12 hour race. The fronts we went through 2 sets in 12 hours. We were also camber limited so that may have had something to do with it. For the price(use the discount codes) they are superb(think we paid $79/each with discount + free shipping from Tire Streets). We still have 8+ 205/50R16 tires for our chump car to use up since they lasted so long before grip started to fall off at the wear bars.

OP
eagle
Thread Starter #6
All these options are 200 treadwear. Isnt a "semi-slick" usually a 140 and under treadwear?
well I am guessing someone looked at the "aggressive looking pattern" and the small treadwear and decided to name them that way (in my country at least)

Of all of them, the Nankang NS2R is probably the best one. Although that is me hearing this from others. I have not tried them yet(and i am super excited to try them). The others i have a good amount of track time on them....
I have also read a lot of reviews for all of them (tyrereviews.com) but since most of them are written from owners of all sizes and drivetrains I wanted to hear reviews from actual fiesta drivers

The Federal RS-RR screams at anything over 35mph. They felt like glue though on my 15x7s on my Fiesta. They wear quite well also and at the time they were the cheapest 200tw tire available that performed as a 200tw tire. In the US now its quite hard to get them anymore. The sounds it makes at the limit are just crazy but are a good indication of how far you are pushing them.

The Federal RS-Pro is good but runs slim and has a very finicky sidewall. Be careful with anything less than -2.0 camber as the sidewall will wear(i had big issues with this). I ran some of my fastest times at Summit Point on these tires. They were super consistent and take heat well. Only got greasy after 10-15 laps at 10/10ths.
I am planning to use them with -1 to -0.5 degrees since it mostly straightline traction that I am after. I am guessing no issues then

The Accelera Sport 651(non-Xtra model) is ok. We ran them on our Chump Car Elantra for a race. They overheated after 5-7 laps but didnt chunk or delaminate. One set of rear tires lasted the full 12 hour race. The fronts we went through 2 sets in 12 hours. We were also camber limited so that may have had something to do with it. For the price(use the discount codes) they are superb(think we paid $79/each with discount + free shipping from Tire Streets). We still have 8+ 205/50R16 tires for our chump car to use up since they lasted so long before grip started to fall off at the wear bars.
Damn, I found the accelera's and read good stuff about them but only the XL is available, should I avoid it?

kevinatfms

Damn, I found the accelera's and read good stuff about them but only the XL is available, should I avoid it?
Im guessing the XL is the Xtra here in the USA?
The Xtra version(100tw) is about equal to the latest crop of 200tw tires. The regular 651 Sport is equal to the older RT615K+, Hankook RS4 and other low wear 200tw enduro tires.

I've been incredibly happy with my Toyo R888R's as a sort of street drag tire as ridiculous as that sounds with a Fiesta lol. But they're what gives me traction in first on ethanol and have been holding up excellently to street only use much to my surprise.