Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

22 mpg?

I bought my 2016 FiST a few months ago and recently installed the Cobb stage one kit running 93 octane, but have still only been averaging 22 mpg, with a majority being highway miles. Anyone else experience this or have any advice on what could be causing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I bought my 2016 FiST a few months ago and recently installed the Cobb stage one kit running 93 octane, but have still only been averaging 22 mpg, with a majority being highway miles. Anyone else experience this or have any advice on what could be causing it?

My cars lifetime average is around 24.7 (extensive roadtripping), my per tank average is around 22. My lifetime avg used to be 25, eventually it will land on 22, I'm sure.

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Just the AP, Rmm, and drop in air filter.. I’m typically in 6th on the highway aha, so that’s not a factor

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a Dizzytune for my GEN2 GTX2860R and got 38.9MPGs the other day. If it was me I'd be getting a flash tune from Dizzy or Stratified....I've had Both but prefer Jason @ Dizzytuning his is much more linear and a very pleasant and quick individual to deal with questions or revisions on BT stuff. If it was me I'd revert back to STOCK tune and contact a Dizzy....Stratified or even Cobb themselves. I too also have an AP3.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have averaged about 29 miles per gallon.
I would try the stock tune, and I would try different gas stations.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have you been using regular gas and NOT premium? just a thought...

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
70 mph on a highway is about 33 mpg. I have now, with all the aero and the 245s, around 27.5 mpg - to be expected. And, that's on the Stage 3 Cobb, on the aggressive map.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I can see where you guys are averaging higher than some others.
As in my case I live in New York City, so even "highway miles" is still riddled with tons stop and go; not to mention, have a hard time keeping out of boost.
I am 100% stock, by the way. Not sure how that works compared to a tuned car.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Premium 100% of the time.

I'd reflash to stock tune and see what develops. Short of a brake drag, or some other rolling resistance, if you're not at 5k rpm most of the time, there should not be a reason for 22 mpg.

There may be some issues with ECU programming? Try manual calculation to check. How long does your tank last?

PhoenixM3

I'd reflash to stock tune and see what develops. Short of a brake drag, or some other rolling resistance, if you're not at 5k rpm most of the time, there should not be a reason for 22 mpg.

There may be some issues with ECU programming? Try manual calculation to check. How long does your tank last?
^^^^^This.^^^^^

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I also find that being in a higher gear at a lower speed, the car wants to utilize boost more often. Ironically, being in sixth gear earlier, can hurt gas mileage.

I have a Dizzytune for my GEN2 GTX2860R and got 38.9MPGs the other day. If it was me I'd be getting a flash tune from Dizzy or Stratified....I've had Both but prefer Jason @ Dizzytuning his is much more linear and a very pleasant and quick individual to deal with questions or revisions on BT stuff. If it was me I'd revert back to STOCK tune and contact a Dizzy....Stratified or even Cobb themselves. I too also have an AP3.

Awwwwwww good kitty 🥰🥰🥰

What oil are you running?

Spork1569

And to piggyback on what @MRX330 asked, when was the last time you changed the oil?

I always notice a bit of an MPG bump after putting fresh oil in.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Oil can be a contributor, but these will be second-order effects. 22 is a MAJOR departure from what would be normally observed. Short of a sensor issue (not sure which one) or a small leak, based on what the OP reported, it is a stumper.

I'd like to see how long does his tank last and how much he could put in, when it's empty.

In my Limited experience with the car (2 weeks), I’ve noticed that if you’re not actually cruising ie in 6th gear and having to increase and decrease speed a lot then your efficiency is effected. I just drove from San Diego to Fresno (370 miles) and averaged 31.5mpg. Through LA it was that accordion effect of slowing from ~70 and accelerating from ~40, my average was around 25mpg. The motor is very happy with giving you power and your foot needs to be tuned as well. Just my observations thus far.