Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

22 mpg?

OP
S
Thread Starter #22
So I’ve tired taking it back to stock, putting the tune on, the whole nine yards. I’m currently sitting at 21.2, and this is including a fresh oil change Monday. At a loss on what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So Gas mileage. I have been as high as 36-37 on the freeway and as low as 19 in town driving it the way I like to drive. I have learned a few things about the engine and where it likes to be in relation to gas mileage and believe it or not if you bog the car you might not get the best mileage. The engine actually turns in decent mileage staying a bit in the revs in fact I have turned out great mileage in canyon runs. I know I have seen 29-33 on them and this is keeping revs up using lower gears but going fast.
The reverse is the flying down the freeway at 75-80 at 2800-3K and turning in 33-35. My average around town and combined with a fair amount of stop and go and not a completely crazy foot in it is around 25-28. In town only 22-25. If you start the car and move it and then stop it. You will totally kill mileage figures. So taking the car short distances will just bomb your mileage figures making you go damn I get shitty mileage . Lol

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
So I’ve tired taking it back to stock, putting the tune on, the whole nine yards. I’m currently sitting at 21.2, and this is including a fresh oil change Monday. At a loss on what to do.

Have you confirmed that it is indeed 22 by measuring out the gas and calculating mpgs based on the mileage rather than relying on the ECU numbers? City traffic will keep you in the low to mid 20s - so, where and how you drive is a major factor, obviously.

OP
S
Thread Starter #25
Have you confirmed that it is indeed 22 by measuring out the gas and calculating mpgs based on the mileage rather than relying on the ECU numbers? City traffic will keep you in the low to mid 20s - so, where and how you drive is a major factor, obviously.
I’ve measured it and it’s accurate sadly. I’m probably 65/35 highway to city driving.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I’ve measured it and it’s accurate sadly. I’m probably 65/35 highway to city driving.

A leak? I don't know anything about the engines to speculate whether something can lead to increased consumption. Try a different station - maybe they are not metering their ethanol blending correctly. To that end, see if you can find ethanol-free gas.

Erick_V

Is it possible your primary 02 is on its way out? You have an accessport, you are able to monitor your afrs

Dpro

6000 Post Club

That should be better mileage than that. I would agree on looking at your o2 sensors to see what they are putting out and if they are in spec. Something sounds off. Maybe also take a look at your afr’s see if you are running extremely rich on the tune as that would destroy you mileage as well.

C2B2

My stock 2016 FiST started with around 30mpg when new. Last year it was around 32mpg with 3 roadtrips (>1200 miles each). Recently after passing 18k miles, I noticed that the last tank was close to hitting 34mpg. Maybe it was driven on slightly longer trips (50miles) on freeways, but it's a really significant improvement. Other than my slightly different trip patterns, there is no other explanation as to why the mpg is better. It's been always on regular gas (Costco mostly). Last oil change was two months before the noted improvement. Now my range estimation is just about 400 miles when the mpg is logged at 32.8 with 2/5 left in the tank.

Are you idling the car for extended periods of time?
I know it sounds silly but my daughter sits in her car with it running while using her phone.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Hows the tire wear? If the alignment is wonky it could increase friction.

If the brakes are dragging they would heat up without you needing to push the pedal. If you drive for a while (without using the brakes) and then do a normal stop, check to see if they are hot.

OP
S
Thread Starter #34
Hows the tire wear? If the alignment is wonky it could increase friction.

If the brakes are dragging they would heat up without you needing to push the pedal. If you drive for a while (without using the brakes) and then do a normal stop, check to see if they are hot.
I’ve got brand new Michelin’s, I work in a nice tire shop so I’ve ruled out all of the above, unfortunately

since you're in va beach I'm assuming you're on 64. I commute to va beach from Yorktown and if traffics bad (which it normally is) I get significantly worse mileage.

OP
S
Thread Starter #36
since you're in va beach I'm assuming you're on 64. I commute to va beach from Yorktown and if traffics bad (which it normally is) I get significantly worse mileage.
I take 264 to and from work, and only hit traffic about 60% of the time on the way home, sometimes I stay off the highway; but still shouldn’t explain the poor mpg on a road trip with Cruze set

I take 264 to and from work, and only hit traffic about 60% of the time on the way home, sometimes I stay off the highway; but still shouldn’t explain the poor mpg on a road trip with Cruze set

Yea definitely shouldn’t be that low, +1 @TyphoonFiST for dizzy tunes. I’m running his stage 2 93 and E30 flash tunes and they’re fuckin [emoji108]

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Sounds similar to my crappy milage problems as of late. I feel i should check the pcv valve here ( at like 86k) and replace the front o2. Im wondering if its giving a false lean reading and just dumping fuel at it to compensate.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have averaged about 29 miles per gallon since I've had the car. I also drive hard as that is the purpose of this vehicle. I'm just glad I'm not getting 14 miles per gallon like the Ford Explorer I had during a road trip one time a rental.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^ i drove it hard last year same as always. Averaged 36. This year idk whats up but she isnt happy.