Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

235/40/17 on stock rims

my next mod, is wider tires. im guessing like everyone else, i have hooking issues. i spin through 3rd as soon as i hit boost. im going with a Nitto NT05 235/40/17. i understand i might need to roll my front fenders. just wondering if anyone has went this wide on the stock rims, and if so...how much did you have to roll the fenders.

There are ideal tire widths for the width of your wheels. 235mm would warrant a 7.5" wide wheel at the bare minimum to me. The size doesn't even become ideal until you hit the 8.5 width size, either. You're going to run into drivability and handling issues in addition to your rubbing.

Here's a handy chart that should provide more information!

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

I have 17x8 rims running federal rsr 235/40/17 and I didn't rub on stock height with zero adjustment to camber and no fender work. Now I'm on 225/45 Hancook rs3 and I rub. The width is the same even tho its size is less wide but a little taller. This size if beefy on my 17x8 so idk if you will be able to fit this much tire on the 17x7 stock rim. But if it fits on the rim you shouldn't have rubbing issues imo.

I have 17x8 rims running federal rsr 235/40/17 and I didn't rub on stock height with zero adjustment to camber and no fender work. Now I'm on 225/45 Hancook rs3 and I rub. The width is the same even tho its size is less wide but a little taller. This size if beefy on my 17x8 so idk if you will be able to fit this much tire on the 17x7 stock rim. But if it fits on the rim you shouldn't have rubbing issues imo.
That's because the Hankook's are a taller tire. 24.4" Diameter on the Federals vs 25" on the Hankooks despite the federals being notably wider. The Hankooks are over half an inch shorter.

I've got 215/45's on my stock wheels and stock suspension. They're perfect to me, I was the same as you spinning through with the stock tires but now I really only spin in first when the tires haven't been driven on and are cold. Once they get to a good operating temp they're great. And the ride is a little better

That's because the Hankook's are a taller tire. 24.4" Diameter on the Federals vs 25" on the Hankooks despite the federals being notably wider. The Hankooks are over half an inch shorter.
Yes it is taller, but the hankook is also wider than the federal, even tho it's a 225. It's like a set of Hoosiers I had 225/45 but we're equally as wide as a Toyo r888 245/45. All I'm saying is brands/models can differ in size even if they specify the same size on the tire. So even if I can fit a certain tire, a different tire may not work for him.
But this is beside the point, I agree with you and also say I highly doubt he can fit a 235 on the fist stock rim.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
i got the tires on and zero rub, i have full turn motion. i hooks alot better now. ill have to see how the do when i take them to the local strip and run the 1/4 mile

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I have been running a 235/40/17 on stock rims and susp for 2 years and 2 sets of tires. They are $76 per tire sumoto or something like that from tire rack

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
im using Nitto NT05 and there $313 for both tires, mounted and balanced at walmart. still has some hooking issues but nothing like it was with the stock tires. still havent put them on the track to see how its hook.