Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

??!! 25 psi !!??

Well I decided to install the 93 Octane Beta map from mountune, I hit 25 PSI, I assume for only a very brief moment, I peaked at 21.5 on the Cobb OTS 0 map. The mountune map is amazing! Will probably flash back to stock until I get my first hard part performance mod an intercooler and it is time for a legit e-tune. 2 main reasons.

I'm not sure how healthy 25 PSI is on this car, could be fine though.

The tune felt a bit surgey, and I will probably want it more customized/dialed back. After all that is what an e-tune is really for, customized performance within a healthy range.

Any thoughts?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Well I decided to install the 93 Octane Beta map from mountune, I hit 25 PSI, I assume for only a very brief moment, I peaked at 21.5 on the Cobb OTS 0 map. The mountune map is amazing! Will probably flash back to stock until I get my first hard part performance mod an intercooler and it is time for a legit e-tune. 2 main reasons.

I'm not sure how healthy 25 PSI is on this car, could be fine though.

The tune felt a bit surgey, and I will probably want it more customized/dialed back. After all that is what an e-tune is really for, customized performance within a healthy range.

Any thoughts?

The car can live on that boost and perhaps what felt surgy was you hitting the TQ and HP limits in the current tune. while tuning this is normal as they like to be safer than sorry.. When i was working with Randy we saw 25psi alot at the end.. made for a real fun drive stop light to stop light and on the on ramp to the 4 lane.. (only have 4 lanes here its kinda far up nort dare hay ..)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Assuming you have enough octane, and the charge temps are low enough, i don't see a problem with it. I see 26-29psi all the time. I've seen 29.6psi before on a stock turbo. But realize that was with mods and with some pretty octane rich fuel. On 93oct? I don't think that's gonna be safe long term, but.... BUT.... The car will sometimes run higher than normal boost the first pull before the wgdc tables can adjust themselves, and settle in. It tends to be when its cold outside as well. I think you'll find that once you get the mods and run this tune, it will settle into a 24.5~ psi at very low rpms ( 2900 or so ), tappering down to something reasonable.

I'd also bet you had a throttle closure during that pull when the boost/load went that high. But that depends on how much mountune modded there throttle tables.

25psi is not insane though:... Its doing it of .01 second. And the ecu will learn and likely drop it. I'm not sure I'd be testing tunes meant for a car with an intercooler with a stock cooler though.... Good call on ordering an intercooler though !! Which one did you get?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Lol, that compressor outlet temp, even though it's inferred, is a perfect example of why people should worry a bit less about pre-FMIC temps.

But yeah, that 25 psi is only for a split second at most and the block can definitely handle it. I'm surprised to see it on a map for the OEM FMIC though, that's a bit different.

OP
Lizzardmax
Thread Starter #5
Assuming you have enough octane, and the charge temps are low enough, i don't see a problem with it. I see 26-29psi all the time. I've seen 29.6psi before on a stock turbo. But realize that was with mods and with some pretty octane rich fuel. On 93oct? I don't think that's gonna be safe long term, but.... BUT.... The car will sometimes run higher than normal boost the first pull before the wgdc tables can adjust themselves, and settle in. It tends to be when its cold outside as well. I think you'll find that once you get the mods and run this tune, it will settle into a 24.5~ psi at very low rpms ( 2900 or so ), tappering down to something reasonable.

I'd also bet you had a throttle closure during that pull when the boost/load went that high. But that depends on how much mountune modded there throttle tables.

25psi is not insane though:... Its doing it of .01 second. And the ecu will learn and likely drop it. I'm not sure I'd be testing tunes meant for a car with an intercooler with a stock cooler though.... Good call on ordering an intercooler though !! Which one did you get?
It is as far as I know its a tune for the stock FMIC, Ill check with Randy. I was definitely watching the charge temp numbers. For the FMIC I will try to pick up an ATP this week, lots of folks speak very highly of the Garret core + I can get one locally. I've already switched back to the Cobb stage 1 93 tune, it feels good and safe for the moment, untill I am ready to have my e-tune done, had some -.84 correction last night.

Also, what mod's would specifically increase the safety of higher boost pressures (other than FMIC)? I plan on keeping the stock air box and paper filter due to insanely dusty dirt rds I drive on.

OP
Lizzardmax
Thread Starter #6
Lol, that compressor outlet temp, even though it's inferred, is a perfect example of why people should worry a bit less about pre-FMIC temps.
HaHa, "inferred" or "infra-red", Is that super high? Would a better flowing down pipe help those temps. I am trying to find things to enhance the safety of any tuning I do. May even ask to have the boost dialed back a bit. What do we know about the internals of this engine that make it able to handle those kinds of loads?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
HaHa, "inferred" or "infra-red", Is that super high? Would a better flowing down pipe help those temps. I am trying to find things to enhance the safety of any tuning I do. May even ask to have the boost dialed back a bit. What do we know about the internals of this engine that make it able to handle those kinds of loads?
What we know about the internals is that no one has destroyed them yet from modifications. Not that that won't come eventually, but as for now everything seems plenty robust for either the OEM turbo or a mild big-turbo.

Don't worry about those inferred temps or bringing them down, focus on getting an aftermarket FMIC to drop your charge temps instead. In all honesty though, that's one of the lowest overall increases in CAT that I've seen on the OEM FMIC. It's surprising, actually.

Also, you can drop the OAR from your monitors now that you're at -1 because it's not going to budge off of that until you reflash.

OP
Lizzardmax
Thread Starter #8
Hey thanks Dyno you are a wealth of knowledge Sir!, am reading your Datalogging 101 and Using datalogs to isolate aftermarket-part problems. Going to start practicing data logging and trying to get a base line of the vehicle. Wish me luck, any other recommended posts?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Thank you! Nothing specific-there is a bunch of good information scattered throughout the community. Research thoroughly before making decisions and datalog before/after when possible. The more that people become comfortable/confident in their datalogging skills the better the community, as a whole, can become.