Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

29k on stock rotors

haste

1000 Post Club
and already they are 21.3mm, which is only .3mm from the minimum thickness of 21mm.

One HPDE event was done on these rotors with Hawk DTC-60 pads. This event totaled about 180 minutes of track time at VIR full course. Otherwise, they had stock pads on them the rest of the time. The stock pads still had about 1/3 of their life left, which was surprising to me. I guess it was the track event that ate up most of the metal.

Just wanting to give a heads up. Brakes are VERY important.

I did switch to Mountune RS-R pads and braided lines along with Centric cryo-treated rotors from tirerack. The brakes feel great now and don't have that neck snapping initial bite of the stockers.

Now to order another pair of rotors for the event coming up in May! [lovest]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I made it to 32-34k mile I think :)

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

me32

1000 Post Club
I didnt have any track use. But lots of back road driving. 52k on stock pads an rotors. But there are done now and replacing them all with brand new oem pads an rotors

I must drive like a tool. I'm at 15,500 miles right now and getting a break squeak. Putting it up on the lift to check for sure but I think the rear pads are actually the ones about done for, and my front rotors aren't looking happy. Almost like a brake is dragging around just about every corner... ;) Haste, have you run the RS-R's at track days? And how do you like the Centric rotors? We usually shy away from them at my shop but if you've had good experiences I'd rather buy those before I throw Stoptech's or something at it. For the price it's hard to argue... It was something like $26 a rotor here my cost.

-Travis

OP
haste

haste

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I must drive like a tool. I'm at 15,500 miles right now and getting a break squeak. Putting it up on the lift to check for sure but I think the rear pads are actually the ones about done for, and my front rotors aren't looking happy. Almost like a brake is dragging around just about every corner... ;) Haste, have you run the RS-R's at track days? And how do you like the Centric rotors? We usually shy away from them at my shop but if you've had good experiences I'd rather buy those before I throw Stoptech's or something at it. For the price it's hard to argue... It was something like $26 a rotor here my cost.

-Travis
My rear pads squeak and have been doing it for about 15k miles.

The centric rotors feel great with the RS-R pads. The brakes work better than stock during harder stops. Their initial grab compared to the stockers is much more bearable, too.

I haven't run the RS-R pads at the track. I do plan on buying another set of the centric rotors for for my track day in May and will be using them with Hawk DTC-60 pads. My original stock rear brakes are still good after 29k miles, a little less than 1/2 pad thickness left.

My rear disc and pad where gone at @30k because sceze caliper..... My front pad where also toasted @30k but the caliper where not jammed so the disc where still good..went with hawk 5.0 front and fords for the rear.

-Travis
Centric rotors are an excellent bang for the buck. A lot of the S2000 guys, including myself, run their dirt cheap "standard" blank rotors for HPDEs without any issues.

The brakes feel great now and don't have that neck snapping initial bite of the stockers.
This is interesting because I thought I was going crazy. It seems like in the last couple of thousand miles (12K on the car), my stock brakes have gone super-touchy. I need to find a good stock replacement pad that doesn't dust as much and won't throw my ass through the windshield.

So they replaced the front pads and rotors today.... 68000 kms. and they just don't feel right, maybe where they are brand new but there is no initial bite. Hope they used the right parts...

Does anyone know if the pads and rotors are ST specific?

I already have a visible lip on my rotors at 15,000 miles. I'll have to bust out my calipers next time I have my wheels off and see just how bad it is. This is with the OEM pads, and I drive pretty defensively during daily driving: lots of engine braking and predicting red lights early etc. These brakes do have about 50 autocross runs on them though. Pad life is still excellent. I haven't measured it but both sides are still pretty meaty.

Are there plain ol' Centrics available for the rears? I'm only seeing Stoptechs available for the rears on Tirerack's listing. I could swear I saw Centric blanks available for the rears on Tirerack's site a while ago but maybe I'm hallucinating.

Centric rotors are an excellent bang for the buck. A lot of the S2000 guys, including myself, run their dirt cheap "standard" blank rotors for HPDEs without any issues.
Agreed on all counts. [raceflag]

So they replaced the front pads and rotors today.... 68000 kms. and they just don't feel right, maybe where they are brand new but there is no initial bite. Hope they used the right parts...

Does anyone know if the pads and rotors are ST specific?
Yes, the ST's brakes are different than the regular Fiesta. Have the shop double check the part numbers they used. If you were supposed to get stock replaced with stock, the feel should be identical.

Aren't there different part numbers for the more aggressive pads that came on summer tire-only cars?

Aren't there different part numbers for the more aggressive pads that came on summer tire-only cars?
Yes, and I can only infer what the #'s are based on FordParts.com's listing of brake pads for a 2014 FiST versus the extra numbers for a 2016 FiST. On the pads themselves the all-season tire/comfort pads have a big white "H" silkscreened on them. IMO they're perfect for street pads since they bite well enough and don't really dust at all. The summer-tire/track pads are IMO too aggressive for a daily driver, and certainly too dusty to keep the wheel finish from getting pitted in a hurry.

Siestarider

Just mounted my third set of OEM fronts and second set rears. Over 18000 miles of which 1500 (roughly) are track miles. in 2015 when OEM fronts were not available I tried Autozone's best guaranteed for life and Hawk HPS, neither lasted a full track day.

I am now on sticky track tires but believe the CMB vented back plates with forced air cooling are allowing me to continue to use stock brakes though running harder. I would not have believed it if not temp tested and proved.

With the cooling kit now on, I believe I will get 10 track days on one set of OEM front pads. LSD helps a lot in reducing TC intervention, saving brakes.

Stock suspension is now the limiting factor for me. Need better tire patch to track contact to go quicker.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The hill-assist feature probably doesn't help wear much, but prior experiences with a regular vehicle says if you want longer lasting rotors, get softer pads. I only had to make the "lifetime brake pad" mistake once before I quickly went back to standard run-of-the mill pads. I don't ride the brakes, traverse mountains or race so they're more than adequate. Unlike my high quality replacement rotors, I have noticed that these rotors rust-over pretty quickly when left sitting for a few days. That can also make your brakes a bit grabby until that surface rust is worn away.

caliboy15

So its time for a new pads and disk. What should I go for? I dont track, but I want oem brake stopping power. I hate the brake dust tho

Intuit

3000 Post Club
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/4-types-of-brake-pads-to-be-aware-of
They will create dust (which I don't care about) but the standard non-asbestos organic worked fine for me in my other vehicle. We're in a valley so if you're not going up a hill, it's only because you're going down one; but again, I don't ride the brakes like a lot of people here.

JTP

Are there plain ol' Centrics available for the rears? I'm only seeing Stoptechs available for the rears on Tirerack's listing. I could swear I saw Centric blanks available for the rears on Tirerack's site a while ago but maybe I'm hallucinating.

https://www.knsbrakes.com

They have a great selection of stuff including rear rotors. I have bought off of them a couple times now and plan to use them as long as I have a car that they carry parts for.