Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3 things I think are necessary for your fist

Dpro

6000 Post Club
this is just me, but Id say just go out

I decided to go with reliability mods, engine and brake cooling as well as LSD, 16x8 wheels and better tires first. Have not tracked the car without those parts. Then did track days to learn the car and kept getting suspension parts while I'm at it.

If I had to do it all over again would have skipped the suspension mods and just go at track days. I'm sure upgrading the turbo is fun and all, but I think doing so will increase costs of running the car at the track. one of the cons of the fiesta is it's not too expensive to track. Was surprised how little I spent on gas and even the cost are tires of notably lower.

I am also curious if it'd be easier to learn to drive the car well with less power.
I drove mine for a year or so with just a tune before I went with bigger turbo . The way it is now though I do love it. Though ya you can drive it pretty hard and fast stock I know I did. Though I do not reget suspension mods after driving it on stock suspension hard. The car definitely is more planted with suspension mods.

I had cooling issues with the stock radiator. Pushed the Cobb 93 octane map to the car early on. Air filter. Nothing else. Car would overheat in the Georgia summer sitting in traffic.

Started tracking it last year. I can do lap after lap if I stay out of the boost. I could do two really hot laps and watch the temps climb. Even hard back road driving would push it to the point of limp mode if I didn't dial it back down. I even went back to the stock tune and the problem persisted.

Installed the Mountune Radiator and 180 degree thermostat this year. No cooling issues since. I've hit 195 degrees and that's the highest it's been.

I have a Whoosh v3 IC on order as well.

I've had FA Coilovers and M Factory LSD sitting here to get installed.

I'd argue the Radiator would have been an earlier change. If you don't have cooling issues, then that's great. And I would have done the LSD next. It's the thing I'm most excited to get completed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
this is just me, but Id say just go out

I decided to go with reliability mods, engine and brake cooling as well as LSD, 16x8 wheels and better tires first. Have not tracked the car without those parts. Then did track days to learn the car and kept getting suspension parts while I'm at it.

If I had to do it all over again would have skipped the suspension mods and just go at track days. I'm sure upgrading the turbo is fun and all, but I think doing so will increase costs of running the car at the track. one of the cons of the fiesta is it's not too expensive to track. Was surprised how little I spent on gas and even the cost are tires of notably lower.

I am also curious if it'd be easier to learn to drive the car well with less power.
Did you mean to say "pros of the Fiesta" above, or did you imply that it's a "con" for it to be soooo inexpensive to run at the track, that you end up doing it too much, and 'aging'/wearing out the rest of the car's hardware, which is not considered 'consumables'? [dunno]

ronmcdon

I drove mine for a year or so with just a tune before I went with bigger turbo . The way it is now though I do love it. Though ya you can drive it pretty hard and fast stock I know I did. Though I do not reget suspension mods after driving it on stock suspension hard. The car definitely is more planted with suspension mods.
I think if it were a street car without track duty would be more comfortable adding power soon. but for me want to just learn driving it well first and sort out the suspension for track driving. but for sure will move forwards with Tune plus custom tune in the next month or two.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
has anyone done the radiator upgrade without doing the thermostat? Interested to hear pros and cons
I'm running a Mishimoto radiator with stock thermostat. Car is currently down for something unrelated but performance was great before.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think if it were a street car without track duty would be more comfortable adding power soon. but for me want to just learn driving it well first and sort out the suspension for track driving. but for sure will move forwards with Tune plus custom tune in the next month or two.
has anyone done the radiator upgrade without doing the thermostat? Interested to hear pros and cons
I did my Mountune rad upgrade without the Thermo.

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #50
I have the mishimoto thermostat sitting in the garage, probably won’t use it though. I’ve heard it’s actually not good to have too cold of a thermostat, especially somewhere with harsh winters, and I have a late model fiesta (2019) that I’ve heard already comes with a cooler thermostat than the earlier models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #51
Got the oil cooler on last night! My thoughts from the install is this, in my opinion it’s harder than the radiator just because you’re in a tight space under the car for most of it (if you’re using jack stands like me). Also Mishimoto has you put the oil cooler on the car and the sandwich plate on the car before tightening the fittings, I had to take off both the cooler and sandwich fitting to be able to tighten the fittings, I suppose my own fault because I did not have the specific wrench they used I believe it’s a 10b or something like that, I had to use an adjustable wrench which worked while those were off the car, so that’s really my fault like I said. Haven’t been able to test anything yet temp wise, but currently just waiting to see if those fittings leak and I have a puddle on the driveway, everything else has been torqued to correct spec, so really it’s just waiting on that, if they do I’ll just go pick up the specific wrench, but I don’t think I’ll have to.

Has anyone tried the Whoosh Radiator? I just overheated for the 1st time yesterday and bought Whoosh. Thanks Ron. I see Mountune can be installed without taking the crash bar off. Mishimoto requires taking the crash bar off. Any idea on the Whoosh? I haven't found any installs of it on here.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Has anyone tried the Whoosh Radiator? I just overheated for the 1st time yesterday and bought Whoosh. Thanks Ron. I see Mountune can be installed without taking the crash bar off. Mishimoto requires taking the crash bar off. Any idea on the Whoosh? I haven't found any installs of it on here.
I'm curious too because looks like they're back in stock.

I've never had an issue with my stock radiator overheating in Texas traffic.

E30 burns cooler, so I don't understand your logic regarding it and overheating.
Same boat, still gets plenty warm here in NorCal and I've never once had an issue with the OEM radiator. I do change my coolant every 3 years or so so perhaps that helps? I should definitely swap to a more efficient intercooler, but that's on my list for the future, if ever. Outside of that I'm surprised no one has mentioned motor mounts, such a big impact on driving dynamics for your dollar.

OP
aruth55
Thread Starter #55
Same boat, still gets plenty warm here in NorCal and I've never once had an issue with the OEM radiator. I do change my coolant every 3 years or so so perhaps that helps? I should definitely swap to a more efficient intercooler, but that's on my list for the future, if ever. Outside of that I'm surprised no one has mentioned motor mounts, such a big impact on driving dynamics for your dollar.
Honestly I think my radiator issue had to do with a front end impact I had gotten into at the time the problem started shortly after. Since changing the radiator no issues so assuming it got damaged somehow.