Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3 weeks...

I've had the car for three weeks and I can say I that I don't know the car well enough, hence, the reason for this email.

I'm obviously with happy with a lot of things, but there's something about the rear of the car when pushed that doesn't give me certainty. That "could" be time in terms of knowing the cars strengths...and weaknesses. Further, there may be other factors that aren't even suspension related...

The thought that comes to mind is the word: grounded. It's a taut little machine, but when I pushed it yesterday, maybe 70-80%, I didn't feel comfortable enough to push it further. This just could be more seat time.

Here are my thoughts and I would like some of your thoughts...
1) I'm still new to the car and it's dynamics, especially I haven't driven a stick regularly for some time.
2) Give it a proper alignment. There's an alignment close by...old school- Johnson's. It's always been the best buck for your money.
2a) Are there components that make it adjustable in the rear? Sorry, I didn't see that info in other profiles.
3) There's a bit of gap from the tire...and the wheel well in terms of widening it. Wondering if some spacers can make that handle better?
4) Lowering springs...is not out of the question, but this will be a last resort. It's a lease. And once you change spring rate and not the shocks...there "seems" to be an imbalance.
5) Changing sway bar bushings as a cheap alternative.

Lastly, I had an SVT focus which was dialed in. Truthfully, the damn thing was a lemon....Always broke down, BUT it handled really well. Adjustable Koni's, Intrax springs and sway bars.

Would like to get there, but without breaking the bank and still keep it within reason in terms of being close to stock. Note: That SVT just broke down all the time and I don't want to get into the whole mod thing as it "may" contribute to the longevity of the car.

Your thoughts, suggestions and comments are welcome.

Cheers

FocusMike

Adding spacers will not help it handle better, spacers are just for looks. Getting wider and stickier tires will help. There are a few springs out there that are specifically designed to run on the stock struts, if you want something better that you can dial in get a set of BC Coilovers. Suspension work is probably the easiest thing to return back to stock when your lease is over.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Fair enough. I really don't know anything about spacers so that's good feedback. What springs are closer to stock? And is it because the center of gravity is a little lower? or a little stiffer on the springs rates?
That's something I can explore.
Cheers

I'm not sure what your concerns are with the car's handling? Your post isn't clear as to what issues you're experiencing. I also own an SVT Focus(since new in 2003), and the FiST reminds me a lot of it in the handling department, if you turn off the ESC.