Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A group 48 Battery? Oh yes it can be done!

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #21
I finally got around to this but ended up using a group 47, which is a bit taller than the 96R.
Went to the local interstate and the 48 was longer than the 47, both were about the same height and around the same price.
There was another thread where someone had said they replaced the terminal, i didnt have to. I did however, remove the airbox and separated the main battery harness, which allowed just enough room for it to fit over the group 47 battery.
My 96R lasted around 4yr/70k mi
Yeah...His Terminal was completely Facked/ corroded. I also didnt have to replace it. The holding strap had to use bolt extenders due to the height.I modified my Tray also and it fits snug like a bug in a rug! My battery was still good at 50k when I did mine....I couldn't pass up the AGM battery I got for $25 AT autozone after catching it on clearance after I bought it for like $60. Just had them price adjust it down to the final $25.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Sorry to bump up such an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for making the post.

My ST's battery gave up the ghost, and I'm in the process of parting out my RS which just so happens to have a Group 48 Antigravity Battery I bought a year ago.

Bit of trimming on the battery tray, and some couplers and bolts on the tiedown to accommodate the taller battery, and a 12 pound battery is in.

Super tight fit, will monitor it to make sure no problems arise. Did perform a BMS reset as well. Glad I might get to keep this battery.

Attachments

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #23
Sorry to bump up such an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for making the post.

My ST's battery gave up the ghost, and I'm in the process of parting out my RS which just so happens to have a Group 48 Antigravity Battery I bought a year ago.

Bit of trimming on the battery tray, and some couplers and bolts on the tiedown to accommodate the taller battery, and a 12 pound battery is in.

Super tight fit, will monitor it to make sure no problems arise. Did perform a BMS reset as well. Glad I might get to keep this battery.
Fits like a Glove....mine has been rolling just fine and dandy. Like I said....just trim the front lip of the tray....get some bolt extenders for the battery hold down strap and wham....home free. Plus ....my 48 series was like $25 & TX @ my old werk Autozone. Nice to see another member figured it out.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I managed to find one more 96R AGM that wasn't ancient and/or deeply discharged. So I'll likely be headed this route on the next battery. Since it's a DieEasy... I mean DieHard battery, that probably won't be very long.

........... The ONLY way to get full power/factory specs (or close to it) AND very light weight, currently, is with one of the small, under 10Lb. LITHIUM batteries out there now, but these co$t 3-4 times as much as the Odysseys do, BEFORE you even buy the requisite, bespoke charger for them. [:(] [[crazyeye] ..................
Shorai sells batteries for motorcycles; bought one several years ago. They flat out lied about CCA... or at least the "Cold" aspect in CCA. In order for it to even begin to approach the amps that they claim, they expect you to stand around for ten minutes with your thumb up your a**, running incandescent bulb headlights. My motorcycle is all LED and won't turn on the headlights until the engine is started. It's a good thing they don't make oil. Their methodology for determining viscosity would undoubtedly ruin engines. "You have to warm the engine for ten minutes before the oil will meet the 5W spec." 😄 Queue the "I have no HP for the first fifteen minutes of a drive." threads...
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/20...ghts-of-drag-racing-choose-light-weight-oils/
<< ...................So, what’s happening? I think it comes back to the oil being just like any other engine part where size is critical. Aside from power lost from possible blowby, I think the thinner fluid film allows very slight motion perpendicular to the intended direction of motion, creating an ever-so-slight binding effect that increases drag and results in lost power. Picture what a piston would do if the rings were sufficiently under-sized to allow the piston to move laterally in the cylinder. I think it’s just like that, but at a microscopic scale and enough that it results in lost power. I don’t have evidence that this happens outside of that we haven’t been able to find another culprit that explains this repeatable phenomenon. Regardless of the “why,” the takeaway is that viscosity selection is critical and starts with the engine builder. .................... >>

Fits like a Glove....mine has been rolling just fine and dandy. Like I said....just trim the front lip of the tray....get some bolt extenders for the battery hold down strap and wham....home free. Plus ....my 48 series was like $25 & TX @ my old werk Autozone. Nice to see another member figured it out.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
That was a steal!

Fitment really is like a glove! PXL_20220706_014849164.jpg