Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A little diy stuff

Hey guys so imma start off a build thread but for right now it's gonna a bit of diy till I start getting in stuff. I will do a rmm and AP along with upgraded intercooler. Also will be upgrading the rad. But I really wanna start off with modifying the airbox to be more like the st200 and doing more better airflow to the rad and fmic. If y'all have any advice I'm open ears

I took a hacksaw to the bottom of my airbox. I removed it from the car and just cut the bottom "tip" off - along with adding a foam filter.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #3
That's an idea but what I'm thinking is more along the lines of cutting at least 3/4s of the bottom off. Then take like the race car vent and securing it, then take some breaker cooling hose and run some to a cool air spot and attach the other end to the vent end

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That's an idea but what I'm thinking is more along the lines of cutting at least 3/4s of the bottom off. Then take like the race car vent and securing it, then take some breaker cooling hose and run some to a cool air spot and attach the other end to the vent end
Just understand it isn't going to add any real power. Swapping to a good quality drop-in filter will do more than hacksawing your airbox.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #6
Just understand it isn't going to add any real power. Swapping to a good quality drop-in filter will do more than hacksawing your airbox.
What I really wanting to do is wait till I get an ap to see charge temps before and after I realize it won't and any noticable power. One side if the idea I have in my head works it'll cool the charge yemps (not huge effect but between 1-10° will be impressive). The other is it won't increase the noise a lot but enough to give me more smiles per mile which is enough for me. I am still going to do a drop in filter rmm ap but I wanna see the logs too.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
What I really wanting to do is wait till I get an ap to see charge temps before and after I realize it won't and any noticable power. One side if the idea I have in my head works it'll cool the charge yemps (not huge effect but between 1-10° will be impressive). The other is it won't increase the noise a lot but enough to give me more smiles per mile which is enough for me. I am still going to do a drop in filter rmm ap but I wanna see the logs too.
You'll honestly get more intake noise with a hotair intake or a crossover/intake pipe and the stock box. I've been down the same road - once you hack up your stock box you can't go back. Drilling a few 1" holes with a holesaw, at least you can put a 1" plug from the hardware store in there to plug it back up. The stock box sucks clean air from the front scoop so the air is reasonably cool anyways.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #8
You'll honestly get more intake noise with a hotair intake or a crossover/intake pipe and the stock box. I've been down the same road - once you hack up your stock box you can't go back. Drilling a few 1" holes with a holesaw, at least you can put a 1" plug from the hardware store in there to plug it back up. The stock box sucks clean air from the front scoop so the air is reasonably cool anyways.
That's true in all honesty I may leave the airbox alone and I may not it just depends on how I'm feeling I guess haha. On the upside I have found second hand airbox that's unmolested so if I do go that route and don't like it or are unhappy with the results I could always swap it out.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #10
Got bored and decided to take some pictures of the car. The last is my by far favorite btw.

Attachments

So the ST200 airbox is no better than stock?

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #14
Yeah I realize that. I was just thinking about other options aside from getting the mountune or st200. Plus I kinda wanted to experiment a little bit with it. I'd prefer the st200 box though.

Yeah I realize that. I was just thinking about other options aside from getting the mountune or st200. Plus I kinda wanted to experiment a little bit with it. I'd prefer the st200 box though.
I couldnt justify $250 for what my saw can do, lol. If I ever need a stock airbox again (why would I..) I am sure I can find one for sale.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #16
Yeah that's basically like the point of this thread. Plus I could use the money I'd save on that to do something else.

Currently in the process of building a cone filter intake using the stock airbox as a sort of heat shield. 90 degree bend aluminum tubing runs from the stock induction hose to the airbox and points down, then a cone filter on the end of that. Cut two sides (the left and front from the driver's seat) out of the lower section of the airbox. The rest of the airbox acts as a heat shield and protects it from water splashing up. Should give plenty of induction noise and I will log IATs before and after. Best part is I'm doing it to a spare airbox so switching back to stock will be a breeze. [emoji1696] it turns out like I'm picturing!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just reread that and it made no sense, so I'll post some pics next week once I get it done!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #20
Well I'm trying to retain use of the stock style airfilter. While cooling the charge down a little bit but I'm also playing with other cooling ideas to help with that also if u want pm me and we can bounce ideas off each other.