Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A WARNING about Sparco wheels

REMOVE YOUR CENTERCAPS before goofing around! At my last autocross event, I forgot to remove the centercaps and melted the front ones straight out of the wheels. Not racing, not open lapping, just autox. Seems like a pretty big oversight for a "sporty" wheel, no? Love these wheels, nice and lightweight and look great, but holy cow, those centercaps might as well be made of chocolate.

Also, gratuitous 3wheeling pic: IMG_511363086433241.jpeg

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yup melted the center caps the same way on my Team Dynamics pro race wheels but I left my ESC on for one lap and it makes a lot of heat ... Good warning indeed

iso100

1000 Post Club
Glad I got aluminum hubcentric rings for my new wheels.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have melted hub rings a few times but never center caps and not sure I have ever seen any melted ones.

Then again, AZ... a bit toasty there wasn't it?

I run without caps on the track, lets off a bit more heat.

Brake ducts are a must on my car, BBK, 225 DOT race tires, hard on brakes, etc....

good tip. I'm living on the edge and going with them until they melt off

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
Oh crap...I have hubcentric rings too...I didn't even think to check them...

The problem is the stability control and torque vectoring applying the brakes and making the wheels very hot, if either was made of plastic you'd melt them in no time
Guess I will be using the stock wheels for autocross haha. Oh well, means I can cruise around with some fancy ones instead

iso100

1000 Post Club
Just replace the hubcentric rings with metal ones. Amazon.com has them.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Just replace the hubcentric rings with metal ones. Amazon.com has them.
Do you have the specs of the rings for sparco to our hub bore handy? I'm having a hard time find the Sparco side measurements.

Thanks!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Here you go, I have them, well made, great price, came pretty fast as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331207508343?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$15.95 shipped.

Note: Unless you had rings custom made they almost always have a slight bit of play in them but a tiny bit is not a real issue, I have used rings on dozens of wheels, street, track, full race, etc.....it is probably good to have a bit anyway due to the difference in expansion and contraction of the steel hubs versus the rings.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thank you!

Wait I just realized you said 73.1 but that link is to 72.62
If they were the exact same size as the hole they'd never fit due to tooling irregularities. They'll fit. I used these on my wheels although not Sparco.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
If they were the exact same size as the hole they'd never fit due to tooling irregularities. They'll fit. I used these on my wheels although not Sparco.

Hmm, the ones I used for all my track cars where the same MM as the wheel bore and you just have to tap them in lightly...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The ones I have snuggly fit into the wheels but have a very small movement over the hubs, tiny, it is not really an issue as have never noticed it ever even at very high speeds. I would rather have that when switching wheels with different hub bores as I have had issues with getting tight ones off when needed. If they are not absolutely perfect the difference would be more critical at the tread patch but wheels and tires have more tolerance than that usually anyway as nothing is made that close to perfect unless perhaps in F1.