Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Absolute best sound deadening for the money now an addtional 10% off for the next 30 days:)

Trader history for RAAMaudio (0)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I just became an official vendor:)

I will be working on package audio/deadening deals, performance parts, and some Group Buys as I line up nice deals to offer my fellow enthusiasts.

I have to road trips planned so not starting much until I return.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Updated, full time discounts listed on first post.

Have a great day:)
Rick

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Here is a question I have not found the answer. First I am coming from a beat up 2005 Aveo with 350,000km. Good vehicle as in never let me down (maybe spent $2k in repairs that are not wear and tear) but a beater none the less. This means it had tons of road noise especially when the back seats where folded down to get more room. One thing I do to keep vehicles for many many years is to do oil treatment in doors and under the vehicle. For the FiST i am hoping to make it a nice fun drive for many years as well. So the question is how does your product handle things like Krown oil spray in the doors. I'm not referring to the gluing aspect as I know I would have to clean that out but what about applying such oils on the product will it break down over time? Should it be avoided? Or should I simply add the material on the second skin of the door (I think I saw pictures in the forum somewhere) as I am not looking for audio greatness but just a little less road noise and more solid build (not a rattling door when I close it). In the back I assume I would slather the stuff everywhere. Thanks and hope my question is clear.

J2FoRS

Here is a question I have not found the answer. First I am coming from a beat up 2005 Aveo with 350,000km. Good vehicle as in never let me down (maybe spent $2k in repairs that are not wear and tear) but a beater none the less. This means it had tons of road noise especially when the back seats where folded down to get more room. One thing I do to keep vehicles for many many years is to do oil treatment in doors and under the vehicle. For the FiST i am hoping to make it a nice fun drive for many years as well. So the question is how does your product handle things like Krown oil spray in the doors. I'm not referring to the gluing aspect as I know I would have to clean that out but what about applying such oils on the product will it break down over time? Should it be avoided? Or should I simply add the material on the second skin of the door (I think I saw pictures in the forum somewhere) as I am not looking for audio greatness but just a little less road noise and more solid build (not a rattling door when I close it). In the back I assume I would slather the stuff everywhere. Thanks and hope my question is clear.
Would also like to hear a response [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION]?

And CanadianGuy did you have yours Krown'd? Just was looking into this yesterday.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Would also like to hear a response [MENTION]RAAMaudio [/MENTION]?

And CanadianGuy did you have yours Krown'd? Just was looking into this yesterday.
I got it done at the dealership. Got the paperwork at home, but it is not Krown. I do however use Krown for touch ups. Its not an oil film but a thick slime put everywhere and is slowly drying (was wet when I first picked it up now just a little tacky).

J2FoRS

I got it done at the dealership. Got the paperwork at home, but it is not Krown. I do however use Krown for touch ups. Its not an oil film but a thick slime put everywhere and is slowly drying (was wet when I first picked it up now just a little tacky).
Ah okay I have that too. But was debating getting it undercoated by Krown still. I want to do the RAAmat in my rear cargo area for sure, so I guess won't interfere with rust stuff. Hmm always things to ponder.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Out of hundreds of shipments to Canada only a few have asked about the oil treatment, as long as the mat and then ensolite were done first, rubbed down well I would imagine no issues but I have never tested it nor had any feedback of a problem so I cannot say for sure either way.

If you live in an area with salted roads then the oil treatment, what they call here is undercoat, might not be the same thing, is generally not needed with modern vehicles due to much better factory anti rust methods. Improperly applied treatments as in the undercoating used here has shown to cause rust if there are unsealed pockets that can trap moisture, and the salt in it, etc..If however you live in an area with major rust issues even on newer cars then by all means get it done.

The majority of deadening of the doors comes from sealing them up per the How To Guide on the site which would not be an issue with the oil treatment.

The outer door skin is primarily for the audio, if one just did a bit behind the speakers on a very well cleaned off air previously oiled, not all the way to the bottom of the door, or did it first then oil treatment, likely just fine as well.

Per the guide, it is not just how much you use of the mat product, it is where you place it as many areas simply do not need it and others very much so.

The foam product goes everywhere possible.

These cars are quite loud in the rear and do not have great access to the cabin vent located under the outer ends of the rear bumper so it is best to seal up all the holes in the area except one or more further from the vent to allow enough flow then treat the trim panels near it to reduce the noise as much as possible.

Once I buy another house, looking for one with a good size shop or big garage I can add on to I will be finishing up the deadening and do the tutorial on the car, it has been a busy year and a half since I bought it, tons of mods, travel, moving, other car and truck projects, trailers, etc....seems I am busier since I retired than when I was running the business!

I think I covered it all, if not let me know so I can get you taken care of:)

I am on a road trip right now so only online a bit each day.

Sincerely
Rick

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] Thanks Rick. Answers it perfectly. I do want to get more material in the spare wheel area to minimize more road noise. Likely be the extent for now as the car is not as noisy as I though it was going to be. Good luck with your busy year.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Most welcome:)

For the tire well you only need to mat the resonate parts so tap on them and or push on them, if really solid they will not resonate at a frequency that really matters to use(everything has a resonate frequency) A few areas might benefit from a second layer of mat, if horizontal use a layer of mat, a layer of Ensolite, another mat layer then a one final layer of ensolite for the absolute best results in that spot. Then cover everything else with Ensolite whether matted or not.

I also cover the back side of the trim panels, a bit of mat if needed then ensolite over it all.

Any hard surface area will reflect sound so adding a layer of ensolite to them will help reduce overall noise.

The key to remember is once an area is solid more mass loading will have very little if any effect except add more weight where not needed.

Only on high powered audio comp installs do you need to use a great deal of the mat product, all other installs using more ensolite than mat, using both products as needed, will result in the best results for the least cost and added weight.

If weight and or cost is of no concern then you can gain more using more mat but the law of diminishing returns comes into play rather quickly.

I always suggest doing the least possible and the money saved to be used on other improvements to the car:)

[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] looking forward to a tutorial or pics of the material installed some day when you get a chance.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Sorry not done yet, no idea when it will happen as our house sold sooner than expected and now full time RV and no place to work on it though we are looking at properties again.

The HOW TO GUIDE and vehicle fitment guide on the site explain it really well and I can always answer PMs, emails, etc for specifics on this car as needed.

Sincerely,
Rick

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Sorry not done yet, no idea when it will happen as our house sold sooner than expected and now full time RV and no place to work on it though we are looking at properties again.

The HOW TO GUIDE and vehicle fitment guide on the site explain it really well and I can always answer PMs, emails, etc for specifics on this car as needed.

Sincerely,
Rick
linky to aforementioned site? I know, i'm playing my lazy card and not searching.