Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Advice on which FiST I should purchase!!!

Howdy all! I need some of your thoughts on which vehicle I should purchase this weekend out of 2 available options. (Maybe tell me which one YOU would get and why)

Option 1. Plat. White 2017 (still new though) with Recaros, black wheel package, and nothing else. $20k out the door. Dealer 1 state over in AZ.

Option 2. Plat. White 2018 base with black wheel package, and nothing else. $19k out the door. Local dealer.

I know this SEEMS like a no brainer. The Recaro package is a $2k option you say. Yes, but the car is a year older, meaning I take an even bigger depreciation hit the second I drive it off the lot. Plus it's out of state, which means a $200 plane ticket and a tank or two of gas to get it home.

The other catch here is I'm not what you'd call skinny. 5'10" and fluctuate between 220 and 230, so I'm a little concerned whether or not the Recaros will even be comfortable for me. I sat in the Focus ST Recaro (no Fiesta ST Recaros available locally) and it was snug, but I felt like I'd get used to it, or break the sits in and it'd be fine. Plus they look SOOOOOOO much better than the cheese-ball base seats that come in the $12k Fiesta. [facepalm]

I certainly appreciate any feedback you guys can offer, as this decision is REALLY giving me a hard time! [grinking]

If you plan on taking it out on the tracks, ricaros are probably better.
If you're using it mostly in the streets, the stock seats are semi bucket seats. They do keep you in place, and give you a much softer ride.
They have an adjustment for the lower back,to get you sealed more properly up right,or tuck the lower back deeper in the padding.
However, I am 190lbs, and sometimes I feel the chair is bottoming out on bad roads.
It does make the ride much more comfortable than ricaros.

Personally,I use seat covers,so the looks don't bother me.
I actually like the ST logo on them.

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #4
If you plan on taking it out on the tracks, ricaros are probably better.
If you're using it mostly in the streets, the stock seats are semi bucket seats. They do keep you in place, and give you a much softer ride.
They have an adjustment for the lower back,to get you sealed more properly up right,or tuck the lower back deeper in the padding.
However, I am 190lbs, and sometimes I feel the chair is bottoming out on bad roads.
It does make the ride much more comfortable than ricaros.

Personally,I use seat covers,so the looks don't bother me.
I actually like the ST logo on them.
18's have a back up camera which is something I do miss coming from the MKZ I had before the fist.
So that sounds like 2 possible votes for the base 2018?

I should have mentioned, this is not my DD. Just a fun/weekend/possible track car and it will be extensively modded over the next few years.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you can, sit in both seats. I preferred the stock ones. Everybody's different.

I plan to keep my car for years, if possible. If you don't plan on keeping it very long, that will figure more into resale.

I'd go option 1 with the 2017 with Recaros. I went in thinking I would be fine with the base seats. Test drove one with base seats right away, then another with Recaros right after just to entertain the idea. I couldn't believe the difference. They of course hold you better, but they make the interior look a bit more premium, and they're heated too. This is my DD so Recaros are really not necessary for day to day activities, but when you want to play, or warm your butt up (which might not be as often in your neck of the woods), you'd regret not having them imo...

Also in regards to resale, the resale would be higher on a car with Recaros. So that may negate some of the "one year older" woes...

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #7
I'd go option 1 with the 2017 with Recaros. I went in thinking I would be fine with the base seats. Test drove one with base seats right away, then another with Recaros right after just to entertain the idea. I couldn't believe the difference. They of course hold you better, but they make the interior look a bit more premium, and they're heated too. This is my DD so Recaros are really not necessary for day to day activities, but when you want to play, or warm your butt up (which might not be as often in your neck of the woods), you'd regret not having them imo...

Also in regards to resale, the resale would be higher on a car with Recaros. So that may negate some of the "one year older" woes...

The look and the potential regret of not having them is really what I'm worried about. I hadn't thought about the Recaros kind of balancing out the year older issue. Thanks for that!

Plus a road trip back from Phoenix might be just what I need to "break in" the Recaros!!! :)

Having had a good amount of seat time in both, I do prefer the Recaro seats....HOWEVER the headrest sucks (non adjustable tilting, only up and down). I know that might sound stupid but it is angled to push your head forward. I am a taller guy 6 3" and about 215lbs....so maybe shorter guys don't mind. The seats were awesome, much preferred over base seats, but man that headrest has a weird angle on it and made it less comfortable by a bunch.

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #11
Well everyone, I really appreciate your feedback. I think I'm going with the 2017 with the Recaros!!!

Anytime I've purchased a vehicle without an option, I've always regretted it. I do plan to keep the car for years, so paying an extra grand for the Recaros really does seem like the best option. Plus, ROAD TRIP!!!

Thanks again ya'll! Off to book my flight to Phoenix for Saturday!!!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well everyone, I really appreciate your feedback. I think I'm going with the 2017 with the Recaros!!!

Anytime I've purchased a vehicle without an option, I've always regretted it. I do plan to keep the car for years, so paying an extra grand for the Recaros really does seem like the best option. Plus, ROAD TRIP!!!

Oh wow I though you had opted for that 2018 base already. I guess things change congrats on the 2017 OTD for 2Ok. Thats a great deal New Mexico sales tax saves you a bundle. I wish we had 5.25% here ours is nearly double.

Just be careful if you have not hannered the deal out already and paid. Dealers can have a sneaky way of bringing unexplained expenses into play during final closing.
Good luck.

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #13
Oh wow I though you had opted for that 2018 base already. I guess things change congrats on the 2017 OTD for 2Ok. Thats a great deal, just be careful if you have not hannered the deal out already and paid. Dealers can have a sneaky way of bringing unexplained expenses into play during final closing.
Good luck.
Yeah hadn't finalized anything yet and managed to get these guys down a little more. I buy a lot of cars so I know all their tricks. I get everything in writing and signed before I ever hop on the plane. That way I get to the dealer, pick up the keys, and off I go!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah hadn't finalized anything yet and managed to get these guys down a little more. I buy a lot of cars so I know all their tricks. I get everything in writing and signed before I ever hop on the plane. That way I get to the dealer, pick up the keys, and off I go!
Good job, thats they way.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club

The recaros create an illusion that the car turns flatter; that’s how good the bulstering is. Same year, same suspension, drove base seats- then recaros. The one with recaros felt like it had aftermarket suspension in comparison.

Good choice. I’m a little jealous. If one of my FiSTs was just a weekend/track car- it’d be gutted with a cage. Congrats!

Having had a good amount of seat time in both, I do prefer the Recaro seats....HOWEVER the headrest sucks (non adjustable tilting, only up and down). I know that might sound stupid but it is angled to push your head forward. I am a taller guy 6 3" and about 215lbs....so maybe shorter guys don't mind. The seats were awesome, much preferred over base seats, but man that headrest has a weird angle on it and made it less comfortable by a bunch.
Without having tried the Ricaros, it would appear odd to me, that the headrest would do that to you;
Especially since they're made to be used with helmets in mind (on the tracks), where the head will be pushed even further forward.

In one final attempt to vote for the standard seats,
If you do have a partner, or plan on driving with someone else on a regular base, it may be good to check if (s)he is okay with the firmer Ricaros over the standard seats.

If you don't have to worry about such a person, I wish you good luck on your purchase!

Without having tried the Ricaros, it would appear odd to me, that the headrest would do that to you;
Especially since they're made to be used with helmets in mind (on the tracks), where the head will be pushed even further forward.
!
Agreed! However, I can tell you it was much different than my RS seats. It was very weird, but was non adjustable

Hell maybe it was broken lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cxwrench

Without having tried the RECAROS, it would appear odd to me, that the headrest would do that to you;

If you do have a partner, or plan on driving with someone else on a regular base, it may be good to check if (s)he is okay with the firmer Ricaros over the standard seats.

If you don't have to worry about such a person, I wish you good luck on your purchase!
FTFY. The Recaro headrest is awful w/ a helmet on. Some guys have found Focus or lower trim level Fiesta headrests and use those, they're way better.

OP
rattmobbins
Thread Starter #20

Meh. Wife thinks this whole thing is stupid so I doubt she'll be riding in it much. Kids will be in the back on the rare occasions that they ride in it, so it's pretty much just me! [thumb]