Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Airtec Oil Cooler

Has anyone on here used the Airtec Oil Cooler on their FiST? If so, what do you think?

I wanted to buy/run the Mishimoto Oil Cooler with a thermostat but I've found the general disposition of this Forum is against anything Mishimoto. That being said, has anyone used the Airtec Oil Cooler? It's about 360 USD for a Cooler Kit with thermostat vs Mishi's near 600 USD price tag for the equivalent. Link below for reference of product.

https://www.airtecmotorsport.com/product/airtec-motorsport-fiesta-st-180-oil-cooler-kit/

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Has anyone on here used the Airtech Oil Cooler on their FiST? If so, what do you think?

I wanted to buy/run the Mishimoto Oil Cooler with a thermostat but I've found the general disposition of this Forum is against anything Mishimoto. That being said, has anyone used the Airtech Oil Cooler? It's about 360 USD for a Cooler Kit with thermostat vs Mishi's near 600 USD price tag for the equivalent. Link below for reference of product.

https://www.airtecmotorsport.com/product/airtec-motorsport-fiesta-st-180-oil-cooler-kit/
the Mishimoto non thermostatic is $490 shipped to your door
If you go through the checkout process for Airtec I'm fairly sure you'll pay more with shipping for the Airtec
We are an Airtec dealer, I can bypass the high shipping costs by importing a bunch of the parts at one time. If you want one I'll bring over 10 or so
Let me know

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #3
the Mishimoto non thermostatic is $490 shipped to your door
If you go through the checkout process for Airtec I'm fairly sure you'll pay more with shipping for the Airtec
We are an Airtec dealer, I can bypass the high shipping costs by importing a bunch of the parts at one time. If you want one I'll bring over 10 or so
Let me know
I would absolutely buy one from you if you are able to get some over. You were right on shipping, something absurd. I’m in for one w/thermometer.

I'm running the airtech oil cooler. It has been on the car for just under a year, and has about 6 track days on it. No issues to date, but we did have to modify the supplied bracket to allow it to bolt to the crash sensor bar. I'm not sure how the line routing compares to Mishimoto, but a little bit of heat reflective tapped stopped it from discoloring/heating the cold side coupler.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #7
I'm running the airtech oil cooler. It has been on the car for just under a year, and has about 6 track days on it. No issues to date, but we did have to modify the supplied bracket to allow it to bolt to the crash sensor bar. I'm not sure how the line routing compares to Mishimoto, but a little bit of heat reflective tapped stopped it from discoloring/heating the cold side coupler.
That is a good idea for the crash bar sensor bar. Do you have any pictures of the bracket pre/post install? Are you running with thermometer? Have your results been positive?

Didn't take pictures of it pre/post install. I didn't really think much of it at the time, and was in a rush to get it back together for the first track day.

I am running the thermostat unit.

Results are hard to say since the car doesn't have an actual oil temperature sensor. Using an infrared on the cooler, the oil cooler stayed in around 170°F after a 20min track sessions (before the hood was modified). I think there was 2 sessions where it went to 190°F when there was traffic.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #9
Didn't take pictures of it pre/post install. I didn't really think much of it at the time, and was in a rush to get it back together for the first track day.

I am running the thermostat unit.

Results are hard to say since the car doesn't have an actual oil temperature sensor. Using an infrared on the cooler, the oil cooler stayed in around 170°F after a 20min track sessions (before the hood was modified). I think there was 2 sessions where it went to 190°F when there was traffic.
That is fantastic. Thanks for your input.
@ron@whoosh I am 100% in to buy one.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Can someone explain how the thermostat works? I didn't realize that was an option and makes running an oil cooler in the winter a possibility.

I didn't measure the oil cooler with the infrared in the winter, and the accessport won't tell you actual oil temp. Given that there was no oil pressure codes, or the lines didn't blew off (excess pressure from frozen lines) the concession was it ran fine.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What were your average oil temps during this past winter?
The main reason I don't want to do this mod (besides not needing it since I'm not doing open tracking), is specifically because one then loses that factory oil to coolant cooler's ability to actually warm up the oil quicker in our cold winter climate.

But yeah, IF you are seeing sky high summer open tracking oil temps, even with a big aftermarket radiator, then this is a small price to pay, and you could just drive the car for a long period of time in the winter in order to 'cook off' all of that moisture, and raw fuel dumped into the oil by the D.I., and open loop running. [wink]

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I didn't measure the oil cooler with the infrared in the winter, and the accessport won't tell you actual oil temp. Given that there was no oil pressure codes, or the lines didn't blew off (excess pressure from frozen lines) the concession was it ran fine.
So the oil temperature on the Accessport is pretty accurate, so that’s probably worth tracking. It uses coolant and load to calculate the oil temperature. The concern with running an air to oil cooler in the winter is that the oil does not get up to operating temperature (~170F) where it is most effective at lubrication. And results in increased wear to the engine over time. I’m curious how that thermostat works and at what temperature it opens.

You also wouldn’t see low oil pressure warnings from cold fluid (or frozen lines lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #20
specifically because one then loses that factory oil to coolant cooler's ability to actually warm up the oil quicker in our cold winter climate.[wink]
Do you think think that interchanger really speeds the oil warm up by much? When the Coolant thermostat is closed during engine warm up there isn’t any coolant passing through that interchange is there?