Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Airtec Oil Cooler

ronmcdon

sorry to bump an older thread, but would most appreciate any additional feedback around installation and results. Considering adding this while installing new radiator and fmic. modifying the bracket I hope isnt too much of a headache. also considering the non thermostat model. thanks in advance!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Granted they ARE a small fortune to buy, but Ron also carries the Pro Alloy radiator which actually has mounting tabs built into it for their own, fully equipped for installation, oil cooler kit.

But yeah, BIG BIG $$$$$$$$$$. [:(] [:(]

ronmcdon

I am tempted and may splurge for the radiator. adding another 700 for their oil cooler (vs 350 for the airtec) is a tough call

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #25
sorry to bump an older thread, but would most appreciate any additional feedback around installation and results. Considering adding this while installing new radiator and fmic. modifying the bracket I hope isnt too much of a headache. also considering the non thermostat model. thanks in advance!
To answer your question I never went through with the install. I bought the Mountune radiator which solved all of my heating problems so I sold this cooler.

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #27
thanks for feeback. yes totally makes sense theres less a need for additional parts if the radiator does its job.
That was my thinking as well; incremental change while minimizing variables and stock'ish reliability. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in this area.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I personally, WANT my oil to get good and hot, ALL of the time, (as the Ravenol FULL synthetic base stock oil I use can handle very high temps without breaking down/thinning out appreciably), since I want all of the moisture and fuel to be 'volitized' or boiled out of it every start cycle.

A better radiator will help keep it cooler anyway since the factory coolant to oil heat exchanger will become much more efficient with the improved cooling capacity of the aftermarket radiator.

Now yes, IF I were open tracking the car, for extended sessions in the deep south/desert southwest, I would then consider an aftermarket, air-to-oil cooler. [wink]

ronmcdon

weather is pretty awful in CA during the summer. have had noticeable heat soak on my evo with upgraded koyo radiator only during track events in high 90 to 100f weather.

can barely even pass other drivers when they point me by at times, so embarrassing

OP
The Cuzi
Thread Starter #30
I personally, WANT my oil to get good and hot, ALL of the time, (as the Ravenol FULL synthetic base stock oil I use can handle very high temps without breaking down/thinning out appreciably), since I want all of the moisture and fuel to be 'volitized' or boiled out of it every start cycle.
A better radiator will help keep it cooler anyway since the factory coolant to oil heat exchanger will become much more efficient with the improved cooling capacity of the aftermarket radiator.
Now yes, IF I were open tracking the car, for extended sessions in the deep south/desert southwest, I would then consider an aftermarket, air-to-oil cooler. [wink]
I would agree with the benefits of getting oil hot but that is a slightly different flavor of this topic. Typically those interested in an oil cooler are more concerned with a heat problem than water in oil problem. We all know the purpose and benefit of getting oil to operating temperatures. I was personally interested in an oil cooler because my heat issues were so prevalent in the summer of 2019 that I did not believe a radiator could actually fix it. With that, I was not concerned with getting my oil to an operating temperature, or generating evaporation, but rather bringing the temperatures down enough to prevent engine damage (being hyperbolic - I hope). Multiple times I overheated and was stuck on the side of the road waiting for everything to cool down / limp home and that was in tame driving with low boost on a stock snail.

Like I said, I had zero faith an upgraded radiator would completely solve the issue as my observed behavior was so negative I figured I would have to do radiator, oil cooler, and other jazz just to fit my unique driving situation. My drive is aberrant and likely not shared by many FiST'ers. When the Mountune radiator did solve the problems I went with a similar disposition of your own and chose not to install an oil cooler as it was now overkill for my application.