Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

All 3 bolts missing from the turbo inlet pipe

I picked up a new to me 2017 Fiesta ST from Carvana earlier today. Drove it 35 miles home with no problems and it ran quite well. I gave the engine a few hours to cool down and proceeded to do my inspection since Carvana gives you 7 days to decide if you want to keep it. I discovered the stock air intake was loose and on closer inspection, I found the turbo inlet pipe loose of the turbo and missing all 3 bolts. What are the chances that everything would be fine if I bought the bolts and fixed it? I have a feeling that the turbo probably sucked in dust and dirt from the road. My suspicion is that whoever sold this to Carvana took off an aftermarket intake and didn't bother to put the bolts back in.

DangerMouse

They have been known to back out so it's possible it's been that way for quite some time. It also could be that the previous owner was a dick. That's a tough call on returning it or not. I know it's definitely not good for the car but any long term issues is hard to say.

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
They have been known to back out so it's possible it's been that way for quite some time. It also could be that the previous owner was a dick. That's a tough call on returning it or not. I know it's definitely not good for the car but any long term issues is hard to say.
I got everything pulled off and was able to get pictures of the turbine and everything looks fine. No signs of damage and no dirt inside the turbo. I think I am keeping it and I'll just fix it myself. I am going to use this as an opportunity to install the whoosh turbo inlet elbow and Mishimoto intake

DangerMouse

I got everything pulled off and was able to get pictures of the turbine and everything looks fine. No signs of damage and no dirt inside the turbo. I think I am keeping it and I'll just fix it myself. I am going to use this as an opportunity to install the whoosh turbo inlet elbow and Mishimoto intake
Good to hear!

SPhilli911

I picked up a new to me 2017 Fiesta ST from Carvana earlier today. Drove it 35 miles home with no problems and it ran quite well. I gave the engine a few hours to cool down and proceeded to do my inspection since Carvana gives you 7 days to decide if you want to keep it. I discovered the stock air intake was loose and on closer inspection, I found the turbo inlet pipe loose of the turbo and missing all 3 bolts. What are the chances that everything would be fine if I bought the bolts and fixed it? I have a feeling that the turbo probably sucked in dust and dirt from the road. My suspicion is that whoever sold this to Carvana took off an aftermarket intake and didn't bother to put the bolts back in.
This happened to me a while back, 2 bolts completely gone and 1 hanging on. I did have an aftermarket intake, but it was secure to the engine block and there was no movement in the intake itself so I can't imagine how it managed to come loose at the turbo.

I only discovered the issue when I got a new intake, so I have no idea how long it was like that, but it's been 2 years since and no issues. I hope there are no long term issues...

Last edited: