Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Android Voice Texting with Sync 3?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I've been using Sync 3 in my F150 since Feb 2018, and now we have it in our Fiesta S as well. Both are at v. 3.0. Call us antediluvian, but until a few weeks ago we were still using Windows 10 phones. Finally had to give them up because the apps we used were discontinued (facebook, instagram, Weather Channel). Got some Android phones running Android 9 (Pie?). With the Windows phone, connected via Bluetooth, when you got a text, the Sync 3 would talk to you as well as show a screen pop. It would say, "You got a text from ______. Do you want to read it or ignore it?" If you said, "Read it," Sync 3 would read the text and then ask, "Do you want to reply or are you done?" If you said, "Reply," Sync 3 would ask, "What do you want to say?" After you said what you wanted, it would read it back and ask if you wanted to send or add more.

This was one of the greatest things, to be able to respond to texts and phone calls without having to get the phone out of your pocket, or even touch a button or screen in the car. Now with the Android phones, which are supposed to be more "modern", we cannot do that. All we get is a screen pop, and the Sync 3 says, in a voice that is virtually inaudible, "You got a text," while a screen pop with a button that says Read appears for a few milliseconds (I am exaggerating, but it's a very short time). I can find no setting in Sync 3 nor in the phone or the messaging app that allows voice to text without having to handle the phone and tap the screen.

Is there not a messaging app available on Android that allows voice to text over Sync 3?

OP
S

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The Android Auto app will do all that and more.
I have Android Auto, and it does not offer hands-free listening and replying to texts as far as I can tell. I can, by pressing an icon on the Sync3 screen or the talk button on the steering wheel, tell it to let me hear the text, but that's as far as it goes. (This is with the phone in my pocket, not plugged in to USB.) Is there a method or setting which I have not found yet which will give me the function that my Windows phone did? If it requires plugging the phone in to USB, that seems like an extra annoyance that I don't really want to have to deal with. The Bluetooth connection works perfectly for telephone calls, and the Windows phone proves it could for text messages too....if I could make the Android phone play along.

borborpa

Premium Account
Android Auto only works with Sync 3 when connected via USB at this time. I've never tried to read/reply to texts without AA, so I'm not sure what functionality that has.

Future releases of AA are supporting wireless connections, but who know when/if Ford will add that.

Android Auto is also my recommendation. It's way smarter and much, much faster.

However, to answer your question, it can do it; it's just clunky. I forget the key phrases for Sync3 to initiate reading message or sending messages. But I believe it exists. I'd suggest searching the Sync3 site for the key phrases.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have Android Auto, and it does not offer hands-free listening and replying to texts as far as I can tell. I can, by pressing an icon on the Sync3 screen or the talk button on the steering wheel, tell it to let me hear the text, but that's as far as it goes. (This is with the phone in my pocket, not plugged in to USB.) Is there a method or setting which I have not found yet which will give me the function that my Windows phone did? If it requires plugging the phone in to USB, that seems like an extra annoyance that I don't really want to have to deal with. The Bluetooth connection works perfectly for telephone calls, and the Windows phone proves it could for text messages too....if I could make the Android phone play along.
AA will eventually have wireless, but it has to be built into the hardware too and BMW's for 2020 will be one of the first to have it from the factory... What I do is use the little cable tunnel in the arm rest and leave my USB cable hanging out. I now have the routine of starting the engine first and then connecting my phone and seat belt while waiting for it to idle down and leave. AA is SO worth connecting the cable real quickly, the new version turns your screen into a tablet with all your travel related mobile apps, including quickly switching between your choice of nav and music apps, reading and voice replying of texts from from a number of common messenger services, everything you'd possibly need. And so you don't get disconnected when you arrive somewhere and are still on a call, it still uses BT for the actual phone call connection, but the modern features makes it all worth it.

I agree that AA rocks but having to use a wired USB connection really sucks, especially for short trips. Not only would I rather keep my phone in my pocket, but constantly plugging and unplugging is bound to prematurely wear out the connector port on the phone.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I agree that AA rocks but having to use a wired USB connection really sucks, especially for short trips. Not only would I rather keep my phone in my pocket, but constantly plugging and unplugging is bound to prematurely wear out the connector port on the phone.
Honestly, not really an issue with USB-C, SO much sturdier than the micro connections that are thankfully gone.... even my cheap One+ Android phone has been super sturdy with connecting in and out constantly for over a year now, including using a 3.5mm adapter for wired headphones... But I do recall the regular Sync 3 messaging being very similar in features, I just preferred using AA.. Not sure how old your Fiesta S is, but make sure to update your Sync via thumb drive using the files through owner.ford.com. Maybe you're already up to date, it will tell you if you are and if you do want to try AA more, make sure in the AA app settings to select "Try the new Android Auto", before connecting to your car.

OP
S

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I've tried Android Auto while plugged in, but don't think I received any texts while I did that (I was on a trip in the evening and usually I get texts during the work day while going from job to job doing sales calls or installations.) I didn't actually like AA because it took over the normal sync3 screen, making it difficult to use the radio, and also because it didn't let me use the built-in navigation, instead making me use data to run Google Maps or Waze. When using AA to read and answer texts, is it totally hands free or do you still have to touch a screen?

If my phone is not plugged in/in Android Auto mode, the regular Bluetooth connection will notify me of texts and let me respond via voice. Doesn't seem to work with all messaging apps.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've tried Android Auto while plugged in, but don't think I received any texts while I did that (I was on a trip in the evening and usually I get texts during the work day while going from job to job doing sales calls or installations.) I didn't actually like AA because it took over the normal sync3 screen, making it difficult to use the radio, and also because it didn't let me use the built-in navigation, instead making me use data to run Google Maps or Waze. When using AA to read and answer texts, is it totally hands free or do you still have to touch a screen?
You learn to just your presets and source buttons to get to the radio... The new setup is really nice, all your messaging apps work right on your screen, they do give you a notification you can choose to have read to you and respond by voice... And to me, if you got stuck paying for factory nav, then I see where you're coming from, but who doesn;t have unlimited data these days, and just nav uses very little anyway, to me now the new version is simply how the car should just come, Sync 3 is barely needed.

Last edited:
OP
S

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
If my phone is not plugged in/in Android Auto mode, the regular Bluetooth connection will notify me of texts and let me respond via voice. Doesn't seem to work with all messaging apps.
I am using the regular Messages app that comes with Android One. Although I can press the speak button on the steering wheel and say "Hear It" to make it read me the text, there is no opportunity to respond to the text after it reads it. How are you getting it to go past reading it?

With a Windows phone you don't have to do anything. Sync 3 asks you if you want to read or ignore the text, and after reading, it asks if you want to reply or if you're done. No button pushing necessary.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am using the regular Messages app that comes with Android One. Although I can press the speak button on the steering wheel and say "Hear It" to make it read me the text, there is no opportunity to respond to the text after it reads it. How are you getting it to go past reading it?

With a Windows phone you don't have to do anything. Sync 3 asks you if you want to read or ignore the text, and after reading, it asks if you want to reply or if you're done. No button pushing necessary.
Since you are one of the few people that's had a Windows phone this long, you got a little spoiled by the extra features when the OS maker for both the car system and the phone are matching. I just got a nice sound bar to go with a different brand TV and there are some new features that I don't get to use since they aren't the same brand. In fact there is still a major bug to where one of the features that wasn't brand dependent and should just work just isn't, and other people online and have brought it up too. But the 2 companies blame each other and haven't figured it out yet... Just how it goes with technology sometimes.

OP
S

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Since you are one of the few people that's had a Windows phone this long, you got a little spoiled by the extra features when the OS maker for both the car system and the phone are matching. I just got a nice sound bar to go with a different brand TV and there are some new features that I don't get to use since they aren't the same brand. In fact there is still a major bug to where one of the features that wasn't brand dependent and should just work just isn't, and other people online and have brought it up too. But the 2 companies blame each other and haven't figured it out yet... Just how it goes with technology sometimes.
Yeah, I get that. It just seems odd that they can't get the Bluetooth to do it with any phone platform. Seems like it would not be hard to do. I mean, I can receive and send texts from my Windows 10 computer via my Android phone using the "Your Phone" app from Microsoft. I guess Google just doesn't care and Ford obviously doesn't have any good software engineers.