Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another Brake Fluid Thread...

I have read many threads on this forum and many others about what’s “the best brake fluid?” I question for a true DD commuter street car if you will really see any difference? I use to run Super Blue in my STI but that was years ago and I was lot younger and dumber then. Am I best just running the Motorcraft? Isn’t doing fluid flushes at correct intervals most important as moisture contaminates old fluid?

I put my stock brakes through some pretty intense driving conditions. Multiple mountain runs in N GA, multiple track days around Atlanta Motorsports Park, etc... Factory brake fluid is fine. Flush the fluid at recommended levels and you'll be good to go.

Erick_V

If you’re running on the street with some occasional 7/10 mountain/backroad runs you’ll be fine with OEM fluid. I only started to slightly run into brake fade issues when pushing the car for longer stints on some mountain twisties, which was more than likely a pad issue. Never had problems otherwise. I actually used DOT 4 from Advance on my last rotor/pad change like 10k miles ago since I was taking a break from racing this year and I haven’t found the limits of it yet. It’ll of course be flushed with high temp stuff when I get to tracking.

ronmcdon

Would just keep the fluid stock if it's a DD street car. Maybe consider upgrading if you find that you need it. Have never upgraded fluid on DD cars. Might upgrade the pads for more aggressive bite than oem, but that stock brakes are pretty solid all around.

I only upgraded my fluid to endless rf-650 for tracking and I was changing out the clutch anyways. Was not a huge expense for added insurance.

Not sure why upgrading fluid to Super Blue in your STi would be questionable choice. Have Motul 600 in my evo now and it holds up pretty well at track events. fluid is not a bad idea for added insurance for track driving. street driving maybe slightly overkill but it would make sense if you're pushing your car on mountain runs. Getting a BBK for a DD I think maybe is not the best use of money, but that's your choice in the end.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF you are planning on sticking to a factory specced DOT4 LV (low viscosity) fluid, the Ate SL.6, and Bosch ESI6 fluids beat out the Motorcraft, Pentosin, and even the Motul DOT4 LV fluids as far as wet boiling point goes, and they even beat some of those fluids' dry boiling point in some cases, (but are at least equal to the best those other fluids offer as far as dry boiling points go).

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
IF you are planning on sticking to a factory specced DOT4 LV (low viscosity) fluid, the Ate SL.6, and Bosch ESI6 fluids beat out the Motorcraft, Pentosin, and even the Motul DOT4 LV fluids as far as wet boiling point goes, and they even beat some of those fluids' dry boiling point in some cases, (but are at least equal to the best those other fluids offer as far as dry boiling points go).
I understand the wet/dry boiling points are better but will you see this difference on the street? Will the fluid get hot enough with just spirited back road driving? I personally don’t think so.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I understand the wet/dry boiling points are better but will you see this difference on the street? Will the fluid get hot enough with just spirited back road driving? I personally don’t think so.
Most likely not at all, but I just like having that 'headroom' over the other DOT4 LV fluids while still retaining the LV factor, which one totally gives up with the DOT4 RACING fluids (which are also totally 'unnecessary' on the street [wink]), and even the more 'streetable', and long lasting, Ate Typ 200.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Ok same question as original post but this time with stainless brake lines...noticeable difference in pedal feel for a DD commuter?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Maybe you are more dialed in to the car. I run stainless lines on one of my bikes and the Fiesta. For daily driving I noticed no difference in pedal feel. Maybe it's me and I just don't notice it.
It's one of those things that you notice the first time and then you're immediately accustomed to (at least that's been my experience). Also, it's going to depend on the age/condition of the original lines; if new/good, less noticeable.

ronmcdon

I didn't notice any difference installing ss lines (along with brake fluid, ebc orange pads) on an otherwise 5,500 mi used '19 fiesta st. Bought the car that way and installed brakes shortly after. This is one of things I'm not a big fan with the fiesta, is the feedback from the brakes seem vague. Actually find the stock pads more communicative. However don't notice any fade either with 20-25 min track sessions back to back. Switching it up to Hawk DTC-30 pads and hope there will be more communication. Really liked the Hawk HP plus in the past.