Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

another broken mount and shifted motor

after all the talk about motor mount failures I inspected my car. the paint marks on both mounts showed the engine slid slightly. on the drivers side the black painted stand had one ear broken off.
......go check yours out....bob

got to wonder when it happened.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are these failures happening due to hard, no lift, power 'bang' shifting, or even just from normal, easy shifting, daily driving? [confused]

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
well something in between. after owning the car for two years it still has only 13k on it. mostly just high way miles to Colorado springs twice, and sand hills Nebraska once. brainerd mn few times. however at the springs and at brainerd it was driven with gusto. my daily driver is a work truck. car is lucky to leave the garage once a month.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I should have more filled mounts ready to be shipped by the end of September. Unfortunately they're back ordered right now

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
look at the bolts next to the pass mount and the ones in between the battery. on mine you could see how the paint had a circular ring in the mount. but now you could see that ring meaning the engine slid in the mount.
....if you ever removed a hood from a car and used the paint mark to reinstall it you know what I mean.
....on the pass side one of the ears was broke of the mount. look at anchor mount 3253 on the web and you can guess the rest. sorry I don't do pictures. bob

well something in between. after owning the car for two years it still has only 13k on it. mostly just high way miles to Colorado springs twice, and sand hills Nebraska once. brainerd mn few times. however at the springs and at brainerd it was driven with gusto. my daily driver is a work truck. car is lucky to leave the garage once a month.
Brainerd, I'm from there :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I should have more filled mounts ready to be shipped by the end of September. Unfortunately they're back ordered right now
^^^Is the theory behind this mod that the higher durometer urethane prevents as much violent motion as the factory EPDM (or whatever material they use to fill it with as an isolator) allows, therefore saving the (narrower) eyelet area metal of the mount from shock loading?? [dunno]

Do the various aftermarket RMMs also contribute to these stress cracks on the factory filled mounts due to more energy (torque twisting) being transferred/deflected onto the front mounts during violent shifts?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
^^^Is the theory behind this mod that the higher durometer urethane prevents as much violent motion as the factory EPDM (or whatever material they use to fill it with as an isolator) allows, therefore saving the (narrower) eyelet area metal of the mount from shock loading?? [dunno]

Do the various aftermarket RMMs also contribute to these stress cracks on the factory filled mounts due to more energy (torque twisting) being transferred/deflected onto the front mounts during violent shifts?
My brain is fryed right now from putting my coilovers on today in the heat... I'll just link you to my filled mount thread. Read through and watch the before and after videos (videos are on the second post). They reduce engine movement. Same theory as a stiffer RMM.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/9645-Filled-OEM-engine-mounts-group-buy

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
I believe part of the problem is uneven tightening. either too tight or too loose during assembly. bob

OP
B
Thread Starter #12
drained and pulled expansion tank, removed intake and battery box. just as I suspected. the hold down bolts to the frame were not tight at all just snug. go figure. assembly line mechanics must be under a lot of pressure from management to move numbers. boyracer