Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another tranny noise thread...

LT Berzerker

Just curious how many folks can hear and slight mechanical whine in 1st gear only...? (Increasing pitch with rpm)

Happen to have a whine but goes away after I'm out of 1st... Therefore I'm ruling out a wheel bearing (usually they are constant no matter the gear). I

'm not worried. Want to make sure if this is normal since I'm about to roll 35k on the odo and the warranty will be out soon. Thx

Isn't the powertrain warranty 5 yrs/60k? I would think that would cover the tranny. Mine doesn't seem to whine in any gears but my exhaust probably drowns it out even if it does.

OP
LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker

Thread Starter #3
Ooh, just thought it was 36k my bad... Yea I cant hear it if the radio is on, but figured I might as well ask early... Make sure that this is just a normal operating noise, but if the tranny is 60k then I'll drive it to see if it gets worse lol :)

Ooh, just thought it was 36k my bad... Yea I cant hear it if the radio is on, but figured I might as well ask early... Make sure that this is just a normal operating noise, but if the tranny is 60k then I'll drive it to see if it gets worse lol :)
Hey LT Berzerker,

If you decide to schedule an appointment to have this looked at, please let me know, and I'll look over some available resources on my end to see how I can help.

Nick

OP
LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Nick, I'm sure it's nothing, since I do a tremendous about of driving, 35k in 18 months, if something is going bad it will be evident quickly

I'm curious if anyone notices when shifting in low RPM, where the engine and trans aren't really "synched" when you let off the clutch there is a very distinct, and quite loud metallic clack sound. I can get this to happen pretty consistently if I shift under 2K rpm.

After installing my Cobb RMM, most of my weird clunking noises seemed to disappear. YMMV.

I'm curious if anyone notices when shifting in low RPM, where the engine and trans aren't really "synched" when you let off the clutch there is a very distinct, and quite loud metallic clack sound. I can get this to happen pretty consistently if I shift under 2K rpm.

A faint clack sound is normal when short shifting at low speeds. A loud clack sound is not. FYI, Ford just replaced my Throwout Bearing, DMF, and Clutch (car had less than 15,000 miles). The DMF started rattling like crazy...

But seriously, stop shifting under 2k. Are you trying to win an MPG contest or something?

Thanks Nick, I'm sure it's nothing, since I do a tremendous about of driving, 35k in 18 months, if something is going bad it will be evident quickly
Nick is awesome! If your transmission noise gets worse, drop off your FiST at the dealer and tell Nick. Some of the ST transmissions still got inferior parts in the casing. Ford knows about it, but still no TSB... Don't worry, they'll make it right (at least they did with me and others I've spoken with).

My 2016 has the same gear whine issue in 3rd-6th gears. Tech drove it last week and verified. It's been a week and the service advisor told me today that my car is still in "review" with Ford engineering. What's annoying is that in 6th gear at 2500rpm cruising at 65mph it screams the loudest. Gets a bit old during my daily commute in traffic.

A faint clack sound is normal when short shifting at low speeds. A loud clack sound is not. FYI, Ford just replaced my Throwout Bearing, DMF, and Clutch (car had less than 15,000 miles). The DMF started rattling like crazy... ...
Glad this was taken care of for you, AshevilleFiST! :) Don't hesitate to reach out should you need anything down the road.

My 2016 has the same gear whine issue in 3rd-6th gears. Tech drove it last week and verified. It's been a week and the service advisor told me today that my car is still in "review" with Ford engineering. What's annoying is that in 6th gear at 2500rpm cruising at 65mph it screams the loudest. Gets a bit old during my daily commute in traffic.
Hey NJBooST,

Thanks for posting about the issue you're having. Send over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll take a look to see how I can help.

Nick